Ebay vintage engine sales

MtB

Featured Posts

"Here is a Lister 18 HP air cooled 2 cylinder with SL4 not ST4 gearbox."

I'm confused! Where does the SL4 come in? It's a 2-cylinder engine. If it's an SL2, it's nowhere near 18 bhp, probably not much more than 8.

Maybe the gearbox came from an SL4 and the engine is an ST2? Who knows?!

Tim

I have to agree it is gloriously incongruous.

No idea if I'll actually get it. Seller is silent as the grave. No response so far to my request for a collection address!

MtB

Any update yet?

Have you got it?

Any update yet?

Have you got it?

I have heard from the seller now and it is provisionally planned for me to collect it on Saturday...!

They seem to know very little about what they have sold. For example, in response to my question about what reduction ratio the transmission has, they said 'Oh we didn't realise it had a transmission". I pointed out the photos showed a transmission and they said "what you'll get is what's in the photos, that's all we know", or something along those lines.

So I now have a supplimentary question for the board. Is it generally agreed this really is a HRW2, and not something else? Here's a photo again, and the link:

$_1.JPG

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lister-Petter-29-5-HP-diesel-engine-HRW2-Good-working-order-low-usage-/111332315835?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_Boat_Engines_EngineParts_SM&hash=item19ebec52bb&nma=true&si=bp3%252Fu11BMHWiPMlRUhfGLtjaVeo%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

The listing also says the engine number is B45 HRW2 M23, so looks like it probably is the real thing. Does the engine number reveal anything else about this engine?

Many thanks,

MtB

If it's a Borg W Velvet Drive, I can vouch for it's sturdiness.biggrin.png However, I made sure mine was a proper colour.

Tim reckons its a velvetdrive and looking more closely at the pic I agree. And it has a reduction box on the back but they all look the same so all we know is it reduces. Could be anything from 1.5:1 to 3:1, roughly, but won't be a direct drive.

You obviously haven't seen the transmission in Reg lately!

MtB

The listing also says the engine number is B45 HRW2 M23, so looks like it probably is the real thing. Does the engine number reveal anything else about this engine?

As I think I probably said previously, it indicates a 1973 built engine.

However I would point out that Sickle's engine carries two different plates, one of which days its an HR3, rather than the correct answer that it is an HA3, so I suppose nothing in this life is guaranteed.

My personal hunch is that you have picked up an absolute bargain - I hope I'm right!

EDIT:

I would translate the engine number as follows....

B - not sure, (mine doesn't have an alpha character at the start - see below)

45 - I think usually this means the 45th engine of the type built that year, but I'm but sure if with the "B" it means something different.

HRW - Engine type

2 - Number of cylinders

M - I think this means built as a marine engine

23 - You add 50 to give a build date of 1973

For comparison Sickle's HA3 is "1664 HA3 M13" - a 1963 engine.

Happy to be corrected if not right in this case.

Edited by alan_fincher

Thank you Alan. Very helpful. I missed your previous comment saying 1973!

MtB

P.S. So now on collection I just need to make sure the data plate isn't stuck onto an old yellow-painted SR2 with BlueTack!

I know Mike new toy is obviously water cooled, but as an ex lifeboat engine (if the provenience is true), I'd have thought it would be air cooled?

Back when I were a lad, life boat engines were air cooled as the engines had to be able to be run while out of the water.

Carrying out the life boat checks and tests was always a good job when the sun was out cool.png

Maybe the regs have changed or are different for rigs

P.S. So now on collection I just need to make sure the data plate isn't stuck onto an old yellow-painted SR2 with BlueTack!

Little doubt in my mind it is a genuine H series water cooled engine.

Whether it is an almost zero hours one, or a clapped out one with a nice coat of yellow paint only time will tell.

I can't say why but it "feels" right to me, and I think it may be a cracking engine - and indeed one with huge amounts of guts, if you fancy a bit of speed boating - an HR twin is nearly as powerful as an HA three-cylinder.

EDIT:

Probably will not blow decent smoke rings though - before your expectations go too high!

Edited by alan_fincher

Whether it is an almost zero hours one, or a clapped out one with a nice coat of yellow paint only time will tell.

I can't say why but it "feels" right to me, and I think it may be a cracking engine - and indeed one with huge amounts of guts, if you fancy a bit of speed boating - an HR twin is nearly as powerful as an HA three-cylinder.

EDIT:

Probably will not blow decent smoke rings though - before your expectations go too high!

I could always run it for a couple of hours with no oil to encourage some smoke ring production...

But I agree, it 'feels' right to me too. but due to not seeing it run before bidding (or seeing it at all!) plus the doubt about it's history, and the distance to collect means it needs to be a pretty hefty discount. I'd probably have happily paid twice the price had it been for sale in Reading :)

MtB

I still reckon you've got a good 'un there as well

If you're worried about the potential lack of smoke, you could use the current engine starting procedure and squirt a bit of oil in first

.......... and remember - it's a Lister - it'll soon start to smoke of its own accord

"Here is a Lister 18 HP air cooled 2 cylinder with SL4 not ST4 gearbox."

I'm confused! Where does the SL4 come in? It's a 2-cylinder engine. If it's an SL2, it's nowhere near 18 bhp, probably not much more than 8.

Maybe the gearbox came from an SL4 and the engine is an ST2? Who knows?!

Tim

There are all sorts of things written on those gearbox lids.

Richard

EDIT:

I'm fairly sure it's an HRW.

The HW (watercooled HA) would have had a Lister/Blackstone box as standard, whereas the Borg Warner was fitted as original to at least some HRW units.

Tim

http://www.oldengine.org/members/diesel/EngineDating/Dating5.htm and http://www.realdiesels.co.uk/identify/buildnos2.jpg both suggest that this is a HRW2, the 45th built in 1973, and it is clockwise rotation. The oldengine link suggests that the 'M' (rather than MG, MP or MGR) implies this is a marine auxiliary engine, rather than a marine propulsion unit, and possibly doesn't have a reduction unit fitted.

Interesting

http://www.oldengine.org/members/diesel/EngineDating/Dating5.htm and http://www.realdiesels.co.uk/identify/buildnos2.jpg both suggest that this is a HRW2, the 45th built in 1973, and it is clockwise rotation. The oldengine link suggests that the 'M' (rather than MG, MP or MGR) implies this is a marine auxiliary engine, rather than a marine propulsion unit, and possibly doesn't have a reduction unit fitted.

Interesting. I collected this engine yesterday and now it in in my trailer outside my house. I'll double check tomorrow but it seems to be anticlockwise rotation. Rotates anticlockwise viewed from the stern of the boat looking forwards. Is that 'anticlockwise rotation'? The seller says the blade that came with it is a LH blade too. I'm just going to bring it in from the van now to double check!

And the gearbox definitely has a reduction housing on it. Dunno the ratio yet, will check in the morning.

MtB

Maybe it was once one of a pair?

Richard

Nope. I've seen the lifeboat it came from.

And yes it's deffly a LH blade...

MtB

Forgot to say, the lifeboat is deffly a single screw bote

Nope. I've seen the lifeboat it came from.

And yes it's deffly a LH blade...

MtB

Forgot to say, the lifeboat is deffly a single screw bote

Left hand blade was normal for the H series engines when fitted with a conventional reduction gear.

I don't know much about the internals of the Velvet Drive boxes, but the fact that the output, based on the ebay pictures, and the general external shape of the box, is almost in line with the input suggests that it could have an internal wheel reducing gear, which would give prop rotation the same as the engine crankshaft.

Tim

Edited by Timleech

Back on with £4k price drop. Suspect it will need to drop lower still for a sale especially as Blackstone reduction gearbox and oil tank is not included. Speed control mount looks fabricated as well - should be part of silencer end cover casting. I know 'cos mine was broken off sad.png

$_57.JPG

This Kelvin P2 looks a tad overpriced as well given its modest 10hp, although complete.

$_12.JPG

Edited by by'eck

Why try to sell the engine seperate from its gearbox, tanks etc, but advise that they are available by seperate negotiation ?

Seems a strange thing to do

That looks like a big bit of repaired frost damage as well