Amusing boat names

Chertsey

Featured Posts

Our boat name Pink Bitz often gets a snigger, Flickr link here

Previous owner was an ex stripper according to the boat broker and various members of Strawberry Island Boat Club who we have encountered while cruising. We have had people who have nearly cycled straight off the towpath into the water they were laughing that much...always a talking point when you're sharing a lock as well.

There used to be a boat at new mills called "Browne Floater". There's also one on the peak forest called "Bojangles". Alas no pics of either.

I'd quite like to rename my boat as it's current name 'toughy' sounds like a name for an erection, I considered "cock piss partridge" in a nod to coogan's alter-ego, but I suspect it'd violate public obscenity laws.

Edited by Don't tell him Pike!

I've seen quite a few funnies and odd names for boats. Checking names to make sure they weren't obscene used to be fun back in the dark distant days when I worked in BW craft licensing all those years ago.

I remember a boat called KINSKINT quite a few years ago .... the chap was, spent all his money on the boat so couldn't afford a licence. BW had the boat in the end and he did end up totally @@@kin@ skint.

There is a little cabin cruiser in London called Cupid Stunts. When I queried it I was told it had to be permitted as neither word in itself was rude.

There's a boat called Knot Normal. May Contain Nuts always made me smile

Agree that the BEEB could do no worse than peruse Jim Sheard's website and find their own funnies.

D

wd.jpg

The trouble with humorous boat names is that humour is a bit of a personal thing and what is hilarious to one person is not in the least bit funny to someone else.

There is also the matter of ubiquity. I may have smiled the first time I saw a boat called Narrow Escape or Meander (me and 'er) but by the time I'd seen half a dozen I was wishing for a little more originality!

There is also the matter of ubiquity. I may have smiled the first time I saw a boat called Narrow Escape or Meander (me and 'er) but by the time I'd seen half a dozen I was wishing for a little more originality!

That is the problem isn't it ?

There are something like 25 boats called "Llamedos" on the Jim Shead boat listings for example.

At least I suppose it is reasonable assume that the owners of two different boats called LLamedos, moored within a few pontoons of each other at a local marina, may have at least been aware that the name is not entirely original!

This one may be a bit less replicated......

168DSCF4760.jpg

There are something like 25 boats called "Llamedos" on the Jim Shead boat listings for example.

Darn it, I was just going to post that :)

Edited to add: Only one Llareggub though.

Edited by IanM

wd.jpg

The trouble with humorous boat names is that humour is a bit of a personal thing and what is hilarious to one person is not in the least bit funny to someone else.

'So Long' was funny the first time I saw it, too.

There was one on the Lea called "The Dogs" followed by "Bow Locks" Probably the best name that I have ever come across.

Until you need to hail someone on the VHF. :rolleyes:

"Torksey Lock, Torksey Lock, this is The Dogs Bow Locks, The Dogs Bow Locks, over"

Jim Shead's website has a list of boat names: http://www.jim-shead.com/waterways/gwpf.php?wpage=Boat%20List

Send that link to them and they can find their own funnies

Richard

MORE: How about Naughty Cal

Oy, there is nothing funny about our boat name. :angry:

ETA: It does seem to be the only one on Jim's list surprisingly :)

We found a "Norfolk Enchants" in Wroxham but again its an smusing name until you have to hail someone on the radio :rolleyes:

Edited by Phylis

saw a buttied paid on the Thames one called Tarred and the other called Feathered

i know of another Wet Dreams but it has a very small s and e in there so really is sweet dreams but sWEeT DREAMS

shared a few locks with mr spall on the grand union a few years ago, seemed a very nice fella

oh and our friends boat is emohruo, our home written backwards

Edited by Fat Boat

Until you need to hail someone on the VHF. :rolleyes:

"Torksey Lock, Torksey Lock, this is The Dogs Bow Locks, The Dogs Bow Locks, over"

We found a "Norfolk Enchants" in Wroxham but again its an smusing name until you have to hail someone on the radio :rolleyes:

Really dont see any problem at all. Not enough humour in the world.

Everyone is too bothered about money or elven saftey!

Really dont see any problem at all. Not enough humour in the world.

Everyone is too bothered about money or elven saftey!

Dont get me wrong we are all for good humour.

Usually the laughing is aimed at those on the radio who thought they had a great boat name, then they rather sheepishly announce it on air. :lol: