ice

Stuart & Gail

Featured Posts

It wsa starting to look a bit less solid where our nearer boat is moored yesterday, (Herts/Beds/Bucks borders), but obvious that nobody still had tried yet to break through it there.

But in Berkhamsted, Herts, much of it was slushy or broken, and in particular a group of BW work-boats were working South through it.

Swanley marina is solid with ice, frustrating since the canal itself is clear.

That's interesting, I wonder if that is because of the flow on the Llangollen? I'm hoping to head up that way for a week, starting on Saturday and the forecast is for it to get gradually milder.

I'm watching Aqueduct's webcam at the moment to get some idea of conditions and that marina is frozen too. Elevation-wise I'm between Swanley and Aqueduct on the main line and I'm guessing there's ice there. It's an hours drive to find out.

Me and Kerry were up at 5.30AM this morning, breaking the ice so that Ariel could be poled over to the other side for loading...

It was about 1 inch to 2 inches thick, but very brittle and easy breakable with the shaft. Definitely on the thaw rather than the freeze here at the moment.

Me and Kerry were up at 5.30AM this morning, breaking the ice so that Ariel could be poled over to the other side for loading...

It was about 1 inch to 2 inches thick, but very brittle and easy breakable with the shaft. Definitely on the thaw rather than the freeze here at the moment.

Website here with canal cams in various parts of the country. They don't all work.

Liam, it appears to be icy still at the Barn Owl but ice-free in Lymm, so it should continue to improve over the weekend.

canal and river cams

Hi John, have been keeping a close eye on them cameras pretty much all week :captain: It's been ice free at Lymm all week, but iced up at The Barn Owl.

Somebody has been through Sale, so with a bit of luck the channel wouldn't be too bad to Lymm, that's if they went far... the only problems I'd have is turning around I think.

Just in this morning from Waterscape -

Editor, Waterscape.com editor@waterscape.com

11:46 AM (1 hour ago)

to me

All North East Navigations

Friday 10 February 2012 until further notice

Due to the adverse weather conditions we are currently experiencing thick ice on much of the N.E. canal system. Ice slabs dislodged by moving vessels may cause damage to other vessels particularly those with a fibreglass hull construction.

Before planning your journey please give careful consideration to the weather and ice conditions paying attention to potential ice damage. Further advice and information can be obtained from local lock keepers or by contacting the number below. Masters of freight vessels, trip boats and larger vessels should contact BW before planning their journey.

Enquiries: 0113 2816860

More stoppages on this waterway: http://www.waterscape.com/canals-and-rivers/aire-and-calder-navigation/boating/stoppages

You can find all stoppages at the url below:

http://www.waterscape.com/things-to-do/boating/stoppages

Please do not reply to the email. It has been automatically generated.

To unsubscribe from this service please go to: http://www.waterscape.com/login and uncheck the relevant box.