The freeze has started

Flocal

Featured Posts

It won't be that bad - I've recently invested in snow tyres for the car! I bet I won't get to find out how good they are . . .

Theyre brilliant, its doesn't clear gridlock so you'll sit in traffic like everyone else, but helps you up steep hills even when coverered in thick snow. Your braking distance is shorter in cold temps even with no snow and ice.

The Government has just given out a fresh warning and advice due to the worsening weather conditions.

People travelling should take extra clothing, s shovel, food for 24 hours, water, some rock salt, a sleeping bag if travelling.

I looked a right twat getting on the train just now.

:lol:

well at least you're prepared!!

Edited by cazberry

The Fire brigade pump water on to the playing fields to make an ice rink http://www.112nederland.nl/Gelderland/nieuws/17279/brandweer-bereid-ijspret-voor.html

Now the kids can play http://www.zideo.nl/zideomediaplayer.php?playzideo=6c4957586e6c7872&zideo=6b3447616d673d3d&config= sorry about the adverts at the start

You don't need to speak dutch to see how much they are all enjoying themselves, where we are moored we have been watching about 30 skaters on the frozen flood meadow near Ely. Luckily the river isn't frozen although we recorded minus 8.7 last night. :cheers:

it's raining over in North Wales...where's the snow?!

It always rains in North Wales ! :cheers:

As a matter of interest, does anyone know how thick the ice has to be in the Cowroast Lagoon before our trapped boats are crushed like the Endurance?

unsure.gif

Jim,

I'd say the thickest I saw broken yesterday was a maximum of about 2". Much of it was less than that, although an awful lot an inch or more.

Others have estimated it as thicker, but I always feel it gets exaggerated!

I'd say about half inch but it has been cracked this morning by BW fetching a flat with hoist from the closed New Ground Bridge.

No stuff around Jims boats was a good 1" to 2" yesterday.

Even though Ian T tried to break up the stuff in the winding hole, turning "Mabel Stark" was not particularly easy, as sheets still at least 5' across kept deflecting the front end from where it needed to be.

Conclusion I came to s that if MS is only 65 foot, there can't be a lot of margin there with a full length one, but that may just have been that the ice was stopping us using the very greatest width.

Rather embarrassing when one rises early for a pee and the act is heralded down the cut by the ricochet of breaking ice!!

But dead useful yesterday when I dropped my camera and it bounced into the "cut". My panic turned to joy as it jusy lay on the surface!

EDIT:

Just checked outside here in Berkhamsted, Herts. 2" to 3" and still falling steadily. But very much milder at the moment - indicating about -1 degrees.

Edited by alan_fincher

But dead useful yesterday when I dropped my camera and it bounced into the "cut". My panic turned to joy as it jusy lay on the surface!

EDIT:

Just checked outside here in Berkhamsted, Herts. 2" to 3" and still falling steadily. But very much milder at the moment - indicating about -1 degrees.

2-3" of proper fluffy snow here in Brentford, cat refusing to go out. sledge waxed and ready for the morning. The new people moved onto our old rented boat today and I taught them how to use the stove and keep it in, just had a look and the chimney is smoking a good un thankfully. I need a pump out (cue Mrsmelly) but I think i'll hold off for a bit!

Jim,

I'd say the thickest I saw broken yesterday was a maximum of about 2". Much of it was less than that, although an awful lot an inch or more.

Others have estimated it as thicker, but I always feel it gets exaggerated!

No stuff around Jims boats was a good 1" to 2" yesterday.

Even though Ian T tried to break up the stuff in the winding hole, turning "Mabel Stark" was not particularly easy, as sheets still at least 5' across kept deflecting the front end from where it needed to be.

Conclusion I came to s that if MS is only 65 foot, there can't be a lot of margin there with a full length one, but that may just have been that the ice was stopping us using the very greatest width.

I've turned the boat there before in the summer and at the widest point of the winding hole it is still very tight to turn the 65ft boat with the pair breasted up on the offside of the winding hole. Add another 6ft to the length of the boat turning and it would be very hard not to at least clip those moored boats.

They have a legitimate BW mooring but it's unfortunate positioning. If they were breasted up 10ft to the left and there'd be plenty of room but there are other moorers there.

Edited by BlueStringPudding