The freeze has started

Flocal

Featured Posts

No snow forecast tonight as far as I can see, but temperatures are predicted to plummet to as low as -13. Forecast for Lincoln is to touch -7 at some point during the night. It's already -3 according to the car.

I think it's going to be a two dog and two duvet night.

I caught this picture this morning at Lock 12, Audlem. See how the water level during the night had frozen, but with the leaking lock gates allowing the level to drop so has the frozen ice on top.

9ldfdc.jpg

Edited by Doorman

Not only that, there is now so much space down here, I wonder where they all have gone. Any mooring spaces at Pewsey or Honeystreet?

:rolleyes:

Loads, free to first come first serve.

Supposedly getting down to minus 7 in wiltshire tonight into tomorrow, roads will be great fun!

No, it's just a moronic attempt to revive his hypocrisy of a few months ago.

No, just a light bit of banter that you have attempted to stir things with Chris, run along chap :banghead:

I see BW are saying not to use canals that are frozen, I.E. the Tardebigge Flight work is complete but the cut is iced up, also All North East Navigations

Friday 10 February 2012 until further notice

Due to the adverse weather conditions we are currently experiencing thick ice on much of the N.E. canal system. Ice slabs dislodged by moving vessels may cause damage to other vessels particularly those with a fibreglass hull construction

Before planning your journey please give careful consideration to the weather and ice conditions paying attention to potential ice damage. Further advice and information can be obtained from local lock keepers or by contacting the number below. Masters of freight vessels, trip boats and larger vessels should contact BW before planning their journey.

I see BW are saying not to use canals that are frozen, I.E. the Tardebigge Flight work is complete but the cut is iced up, also All North East Navigations

Friday 10 February 2012 until further notice

Due to the adverse weather conditions we are currently experiencing thick ice on much of the N.E. canal system. Ice slabs dislodged by moving vessels may cause damage to other vessels particularly those with a fibreglass hull construction

Before planning your journey please give careful consideration to the weather and ice conditions paying attention to potential ice damage. Further advice and information can be obtained from local lock keepers or by contacting the number below. Masters of freight vessels, trip boats and larger vessels should contact BW before planning their journey.

But that doesnt say that you cant travel. It says to give it consideration. As I have said many times before if people think that their boats moored online will be damaged by ice then they should protect them. They can not and should not expect other boat owners not to move because of them. The larger NE waterways carry a large amount of commercial vessels, these will still be working despite the conditions so any boat with a "fragile" hull should be suitably protected.

• Greenie 4

But that doesnt say that you cant travel. It says to give it consideration. As I have said many times before if people think that their boats moored online will be damaged by ice then they should protect them. They can not and should not expect other boat owners not to move because of them. The larger NE waterways carry a large amount of commercial vessels, these will still be working despite the conditions so any boat with a "fragile" hull should be suitably protected.

Well said Phylis !! have a greenie.

The larger NE waterways carry a large amount of commercial vessels, these will still be working despite the conditions so any boat with a "fragile" hull should be suitably protected.

Who'd have thought, that after our colourful discussions on this subject, that I'd be donating one of my greenies! :rolleyes:

Edited by Doorman

I've given up on trying to gauge how cold it is outside before venturing out of the boat by using conventional thermometers. Now, I just look out of the window to see if our neighbour's dog is monkeying about.

He has a far better benchmark of whether I should wear my thermals or not......

v

v

v

v

v

v

v

v

v

v

2n6dk5e.png

Edited by Doorman

We had no real snow but had really cold but almost frostless nights. Yesterday the milkman, out ever day, said today (Saturday) is the worst for him as a temerature ( not the coldest) made even gravel drives slippery. He could not figure this out. In one Norweigen film they actually announced ice storms when the wet rain fast froze and you had to crawl down the streets. Cars just slide with no control. They had a similar effect in rush hour Birmingham some years back though only the cars slide the pedestrians could still walk - just.

But that doesnt say that you cant travel. It says to give it consideration. As I have said many times before if people think that their boats moored online will be damaged by ice then they should protect them.

But it's not only boats though is it? Even though the banks of the canal may be pretty solid, having whacking great lumps of ice being pushed into them must cause at least a bit of erosion.

But it's not only boats though is it? Even though the banks of the canal may be pretty solid, having whacking great lumps of ice being pushed into them must cause at least a bit of erosion.

Not oop ere. The canals are either concrete or steel at the sides.

In the areas in question a lot of it is sheet piled. The river sections are not of course but given the flow on them they dont tend to freeze :cheers:

Not oop ere. The canals are either concrete or steel at the sides.

You beat me too it.