The freeze has started

Flocal

Featured Posts

Frost inside the portholes this am, but I dont care. We got our Bubble Stove fixed yesterday and it soon melts now!

I keep my urals quite warm and protected thank'ye very much

Cossack Dnieper with sidecar personally!

A search for "ice" on the Forum fails to find any. This cannot be true.

How about we start posting when there is ice on the cut where we are, and when it melts, on this thread?

Epiphany is moored at Cambrian Wharf in Birmingham and last night the temperature went down to -3.5 outside. Yet there is still no ice, presumably because we are in the city.

I suspect that if we leave the city we will find part of the BCN has frozen over, but I would like to know where before we leave here.

So, to start things off, can anyone report ice on the BCN at the moment?

P.S.I suspect the lack of hits for "ice" is because it only has 3 letters

You are correct, John.....

The forum search will not work with a search term of three characters or less.......

Blue String Pudding has just posted Facebook pictures of the canal now iced over at Cow Roast, Herts......

Which is interesting, as I am supposed to be helping her move her boat on Friday, and each night up to then is currently forecast to go well "sub zero".

I wonder how precious she is about her blacking ? :unsure:

You are correct, John.....

The forum search will not work with a search term of three characters or less.......

Thanks for that confirmation, Alan.

I suggest we use the term "iced over", as others have already, so that a search for "iced" would be a quick method to check the H20 status.

Edited by Big John

Frost inside the portholes this am, but I dont care. We got our Bubble Stove fixed yesterday and it soon melts now!

Cossack Dnieper with sidecar personally!

The Ural was the the hefty workhourse beasty though,built for working,i've seen women builders in Russia riding them with side-cars loaded with cement bags and bricks.

Our Marina is iced up this morning (Leicestershire) First time this winter it's been properly iced....bbrrrr

You southerners deserve it :lol: Not even a frost here this morning and its plus 5 and sunny at the moment :D

• Greenie 1

Walked along the Middlewich Branch today from Church Minshull to Middlewich. Clear and bright with a pretty chilly wind. 8 - 10 mm of ice on the canal pretty much all the way, although a couple of boats came through to break it up a bit. -2.5 on the maxmin last night, +4 according to the car this afternoon.

Just south of Lincoln, the max/min reports a low of -2 last night and +1 today (same as yesterday). The water butt melted a bit in full sun, but has now frozen again. Ice is a little over 1cm thick.

Forecast for tonight is for -2, with a small possibility of snow. My outer adult tells me that that will make driving tomorrow a bit unpleasant. My inner child is going SQUEEEEEE!!!111

If Candlemas Day is clear and bright, / winter will have another bite.

If Candlemas Day brings cloud and rain, / winter is gone and will not come again.

As the days grow longer the cold gets stronger.

If it rains on St Swithin's Day ne'er cast a clout for fear of spoiling the broth.

They're terrific, these old sayings about weather, aren't they? And so true!

If it rains on St Swithin's Day ne'er cast a clout for fear of spoiling the broth.

They're terrific, these old sayings about weather, aren't they? And so true!

Aren't they. Red sky at night means the shepherds huts alight.

I got to, our boat on the GU at Napton Junction about 10.00 this morning, the boat was thick with frost and the canal was completely frozen over, about half an inch thick. The first boat of the day came through at a steady pace about 11.30 breaking a good channel down the centre of the canal.

Edited by David Schweizer