dads boat has been found

libi

Featured Posts

just to say a big thankyou to the people who supported me in trying to locate my dads boat windsor at ahyno, the boat has been found and has been left in a dreadful state , it will be along time till it is livable again, it has been trashed to a dreadful state we now have green walls ceiling and a damp problem which is awful, the bilge is now empty thank god but the boat is leaning dreadfull to canal at the front, so next job is to try to get the toilet tank and water tank empty,

we dare not even turn anythink on looks there dog has been chewing at the wires , batteries i think may be had it,

the police have been called and been to the boat but there is nothink we can do as there was no tenency, so this is going to be a very painful expensive time,so again a big thankyou for your help and well to people who just wanted to upset me more than i already was , karma, one day i hope you dont get spoken to and made to feel like i did when your at your low and crying for help

• Greenie 2

Good for you Libi and well said.

no problem, i may only be a simple country girl of 24 with 2 children and no transport of my own but i think sometimes i have a lot more manners than some of the older generation, i would help anyone if i could as i have this weeks in 2 very sad situations, im afraid that im of a generation that lives by a phone for that i can only blame technology.

im sorry i did not let everyone know sooner we had found the boat but im afraid there has been a lot tears cried over its state and the last thing i wanted was someone jumping on the band wagon and running either my english or my motive even further into the ground,

again thankyou

no problem, i may only be a simple country girl of 24 with 2 children and no transport of my own but i think sometimes i have a lot more manners than some of the older generation, i would help anyone if i could as i have this weeks in 2 very sad situations, im afraid that im of a generation that lives by a phone for that i can only blame technology.

im sorry i did not let everyone know sooner we had found the boat but im afraid there has been a lot tears cried over its state and the last thing i wanted was someone jumping on the band wagon and running either my english or my motive even further into the ground,

again thankyou

Hi all

Glad you located youre boat Libi,all the best for getting it sorted,as for some folk jumping on the band wagon just ignore them ,they wont go away

so leave them to wallow in there own world of political correctnes and grammer policenes. Arge

Hope you can get your Dad's boat sorted soon Amy, Im sure there will be plenty of people out there willing to help you, I certainly would if I was close to you, there are alot of people on here that have come forward to help me with my broken prop. Were not all bad you know! I know it must be hard to see the boat in such a terrible state, but at least you have found it....

Good luck hun and keep your chin up

God bless

Rachel

I am really pleased that you managed to find the boat and I hope you will find a general williness among the canal community (including, hopefully members of this forum) to assist you in sorting out the state it is in. It must have been a very difficult time for you but I know at times like this it is often when the canal community pull together to help the best.

There are likely to be questions that it could be helpul to ask on here as you try to get Windsor back to a condition that is acceptable. Certainly it was obvious from the photo's you posted that this boat was indded your Dad's pride and joy and I know the whole family will be very saddenned to see it in the mess it is in right now.

Please do not be put off posting questions on here if you need help. We have plenty of people who can offer very sound technical advice about all manner of things and as you say the wiring has been chewed through I suspect you may well be glad of some advise.

I am really pleased you managed to come back and let us know an update on the situation. Very brave of you considering how you were treated and how low you were feeling at the time. I would like to just say that there are a lot of very friendly people on this forum. and it is also helpful to remember that just as some people struggled to understand the language you used in your plea for help it is worth remembering that when you are reading a written word you cannot hear the tone of voice that person meant it to be said in. It can be very easy to type words that when you read them back can come across as being somewhat harsh even if there was no intention and equally there are a lot of people who will make a joke by saying something meant a little tongue in cheek to try and lighten a bad situation. I am not trying to make excuses for a lot of other people who were just downright rude but my point is that no one should ever tar everyone with the same brush.

Your post has made me smile today Amy - well done to you and I wish you all the very best with the task you have in hand to get the boat back to some normality - if you want to share the progress with us we would be very interested to see it.

• Greenie 1

Have you spoken to your insurance company, Amy? Insurance companies can be very helpful in repairing (and bearing the cost of) damage. We contacted ours after recent damage to our house, they were marvellous (if a bit slow), and most importantly we felt that we were not alone.

Have you spoken to your insurance company, Amy? Insurance companies can be very helpful in repairing (and bearing the cost of) damage. We contacted ours after recent damage to our house, they were marvellous (if a bit slow), and most importantly we felt that we were not alone.

I was going to suggest that too

Well done Amy,i knew you'd find it if it hadn't sunk completely which it hadn't thank goodness.If its insured get strait on to them although if its only third party cover it won't be much good. If its got a stove get it going and open all windows to dry it out.And keep in touch with us here.

Bless you Bizzard.

Did you take out legal insurance as part of the boat insurance. There may be a route there.

Depending how bad the wiring is chewed it may be repairable. It would involve replacing the damaged section with new wire with crimped connections to join it to the existing wiring. If a piece is really bad then you'd use it as a draw wire to pull a new one through. Alternatively if its just the insulation it may be possible to sleeve it. A lot cheaper than a re-wire.

Oh that's good news you found it, and thanks for coming back to let us know. I once asked for help locating a boat on here myself...slightly different, but still very genuine circumstances. Several people know me on here, and I have posted often, and yet it was also viewed with the same distrust, ....and was never found, not one person came forward, so I share your frustration, and understand how it made you feel. I do understand the suspicions, as there has been a history of...shall we say...less genuine requests..for sightings, but when it IS genuine, it can be most frustrating.

Anyway, step at a time, if it is insured go that direction, but I'm guessing it may not be. Try to work out the priorities in making it safe and secure from further damage or problems, and then just do what you can when you can.

As Cheshire Rose says, feel free to use the forum for any questions you have, mostly people will try and help! Good luck!

I am glad you found it...what a lot of people on here would do well to realise is that it is but a few steps from a comfy middle class life to living under the hedge especially in these current times.

I know a little of how you must have felt when you found the boat as when we were looking after my mothers house when she was away we went to check all was ok in the cold weather to find the back door glass had been smashed...the house well and truly gone through and her car stolen from the drive..all the neighbours say the heard nothing....it was a terrible time....however we did get through it..Im sure when I was trying to sort that out I wasnt as clear as I could have been and made even less sense that usual.

As others say there are people on here who will gladly give advice and practical help if they can. Please dont let the ignorant ones get to you!!

As for the people on here who seemed to think it was all a bit of a joke I hope nothing bad ever befalls you or your property and you never need to ask anyone for help at any time...as Amy says Karma will get you!!

Cheers

Gareth

edited cos I have trouble with spelling too so I dont judge others by their style of posting!

Edited by frangar

Do you have local help or would you like my wife and me and maybe a couple of others who have a little experience in restoring boats to come over either by road or canal to see what we can advise or do?

We are based on the Oxford canal at Hillmorton, Rugby.

If so, see if you can send me a personal message through this forum to tell us where and when to meet you.

Ian

How refreshing..restores my faith in human nature..lovely gesture.

So pleased that it has been found. If you have time could you let us know how you found it?

Don't be too proud to ask for help and advice.

Happy New Year

Nick

I'm pleased that you have found your Dad's boat Amy, it's a pity that it has been left in such a poor state though, especially when the people looking after it were supposedly "friends."

I'd like to apologise to you for the mistake I made about text speak and "Aynho" in mitigation though I am dyslexic and I struggle when things aren't written correctly.smiley2.gif

Glad you found your dads boat. Please ignore the couple of stupid comments I made in the original thread, as I thought it was someone on a wind up due to how the original post was written out.

Hope you manage to get everything sorted out and eventually have a happy 2012.

Hi Libi.

Very glad you have come back to tell us of success in locating your Dad's boat.

I predict that now you have given a fuller explanation, you will find a huge amount of sympathy and help from the good folk on this forum. Despite all the previous trauma, you have now made a lot of new good friends. So maybe things are not quite so bad as you first thought.

Very best wishes in getting the boat back together.

Brian (Another new friend)

Thanks for updating us.

I'm sure if you need any help then there are folks on here who will be willing to give up their time to assist if they can.

I'm sorry you had such a rough ride! We are usually a friendly and helpful bunch on here, but hey, mistakes happen, and I think there was a lot of misunderstanding and jumping to unwarranted conclusions regarding your search for the boat.

Best of luck with it Amy!

Janet