Tring Summit closure

koukouvagia

Featured Posts

Look particularly at the Leicester line, which closed completely last year, and looks set to start this one with only about half the amount of water that was available then, It's not hard to see what will almost certainly happen there, is it ?

I was stranded north of the closure last year. I took a walk up from Kings Lock, Aylestone today. According to BW men on the ground, because there have been no boat movements to speak of, the canal is full.

It most certainly isn't. the pound above KL is a foot down, the next pound 6" down, and every pound to Blaby(below Dunns Lock) is down. One of the CM'ers by the old county arms pub has been at an angle for weeks.

help please.

A freind of mine [without Internet], asked me the best way to get a 57 foot narrowboat boat down from Stourport to London, he wants to sail it down even tho the knows about the Grand union being closed at Tring....whats the best way..apart from using a lorry :rolleyes:

There are several variations of route but the only way is via the South Oxford canal so he had better be quick about it. I suspect that may well get closed this year. Then the Thames with him paying the extra EA license

Severn to Worcester, Worcester & Birmingham, North Stratford, GU to Napton Junction.

Staffs & Worcester, Stourbridge (if Netherton Tunnel is not closed), Dudley, Birmingham Main Line, GU

Ditto but S&W to Trent& Mersey, Coventry to North Oxford then to Oxford.

He could always wait and hope he can get across the Tring Summit.

Don't advise the Severn - K&A route because the K&A is in trouble as well.

UPDATE 27th February

I've just received this update from Jeff Whyatt

Below is the summary of key actions:-

1. The navigation will remained closed to through traffic until Monday 26th March 2012. During this timescale water levels are likely to normalise at around 350 mm down on normal operating levels.

2. From Mon 26th March the navigation will be opened to through traffic between 10 am and 3pm. It will be locked outside these times at Locks 39 & 46

3. From Mon 26th March water levels along the Tring summit (between Locks 39 &46) will be raised to between 250 -300 mm below normal operating levels. A definition of normal operating levels will follow shortly. This lowered level will be trialled within the next week & confirmation of the reduced level will be communicated then.

4. Between today and 26th March we will increase water levels to facilitate Slipway operation & local boat movement only on two occasions. The provisional dates for these operations are Fri 9th – Sun 11th March and Fri 16th – Sun 18th March. The navigation will unlocked from 10 am – 3 pm during these two windows

5. The Aylesbury Arm will be locked to normal passage sometime later this week. In agreement with ACS the Arm will open for passage on the weekend of Fri 23rd – Sun 25th March 2012. And at 3 – 4 weekly intervals thereafter, subject to further discussion. It would be our intention to agree and publish weekend dates for opening of the Aylesbury Arm in due course.

British Waterways will assess navigational operability across the Tring summit over the next few weeks and if isolated spot dredging is required at key locations then we will look into the feasibility of completing this. However, it needs to be recognised that BW cannot guarantee navigation for deeper drafted boats throughout the ongoing restricted depth phase.

Furthermore , it will be emphasised that wide beam boats are not advised to navigate the summit due to restricted width for passing oncoming boats

-------------------------------

Furthermore , it will be emphasised that wide beam boats are not advised to navigate the summit due to restricted width for passing oncoming boats

I am sure widebeams could navigate with a bit of common sense and co operation, I intend to cross tring summit at some point in April, probably send her indoors ahead of me to warn other craft.

Hi ,new poster here.

Just trying to get clarification about the two weekend openings on 9-11th and 16-18th March.The unlocking refers to Cowroast (46) and Marsworth Bottom (39) but in the original notice the navigation was closed ufn from Northchurch Lock to Marsworth Bottom.Also not clear about the BW speak "local boat movement only" ? I have been hanging about in Hemel and Apsley since late January and would like to pass north through the Tring Summit as part of a genuine continuous cruise,any views on whether I could do this on the dates above :help:

Hi ,new poster here.

Just trying to get clarification about the two weekend openings on 9-11th and 16-18th March.The unlocking refers to Cowroast (46) and Marsworth Bottom (39) but in the original notice the navigation was closed ufn from Northchurch Lock to Marsworth Bottom.Also not clear about the BW speak "local boat movement only" ? I have been hanging about in Hemel and Apsley since late January and would like to pass north through the Tring Summit as part of a genuine continuous cruise,any views on whether I could do this on the dates above :help:

Welcome to the forum.

The original closure of the summit also coincided with scheduled maintenance on the Northchurch lock.

The two openings on 9-11 and 16-18 March will simply mean that boats already on the summit or in the marina will be able to move, but Cowroast lock and the Marsworth flight will remain closed until 26 March.

All that will happen on these two dates is that the level on the summit will be raised so that the dry dock at Bulbourne and the slipway at Cowroast marina can be used temporarily.

So you'll be able to continue your journey after 26 March.

Welcome to the forum.

The original closure of the summit also coincided with scheduled maintenance on the Northchurch lock.

The two openings on 9-11 and 16-18 March will simply mean that boats already on the summit or in the marina will be able to move, but Cowroast lock and the Marsworth flight will remain closed until 26 March.

All that will happen on these two dates is that the level on the summit will be raised so that the dry dock at Bulbourne and the slipway at Cowroast marina can be used temporarily.

So you'll be able to continue your journey after 26 March.

Thanks for that,more hanging around until then,mainly in selected hostileries :cheers:

I thought Whyatt was stating that it might actually be possible to let some boats pass through on these occasions, or am I wrong ?

I felt I had already asked too many questions at that stage (!), but obviously it would only be useful if they put some water back in the Marsworth flight on the same dates, so I wasn't too sure what he was trying to say, TBH!

I thought Whyatt was stating that it might actually be possible to let some boats pass through on these occasions, or am I wrong ?

I felt I had already asked too many questions at that stage (!), but obviously it would only be useful if they put some water back in the Marsworth flight on the same dates, so I wasn't too sure what he was trying to say, TBH!

I too found some of the discussion a bit convoluted.

I thought from my notes that through traffic would not be permitted on the occasions of the two windows. Filling the flight would use a lot of water, especially if they were intending to do it twice. But today's announcement does say . "The navigation will unlocked from 10 am – 3 pm during these two windows."

I'll phone Jeff Whyatt tomorrow for clarification.

Filling the flight would use a lot of water, especially if they were intending to do it twice.

But probably a lot less than will be used to up the level just to allow boat movements into a dry dock or on to a slipway.

I have the greatest sympathies for Darren Killick and Jem Bates, but seriously wonder if BW wouldn't be better bunging them some compensation for lost trade, rather than raising the level of 4.5 miles of water just to allow these two very limited operations.

and on that point Alan, i have to seriously consider what should happen this summer if many of us find ourselves on the bottom of the cut - 'act of god' is fine but when its included with lack of investment, lack of water management and lack of leak prevention then perhaps we would be entitled to a refund of our license fees if we are unable to navigate the waterways of the UK ?

I know everyone will shoot me down but in any other field of life act of god would result in re arrangement or refund , as there is likely to be no water the latter applies for a refund ?

and on that point Alan, i have to seriously consider what should happen this summer if many of us find ourselves on the bottom of the cut - 'act of god' is fine but when its included with lack of investment, lack of water management and lack of leak prevention then perhaps we would be entitled to a refund of our license fees if we are unable to navigate the waterways of the UK ?

I know everyone will shoot me down but in any other field of life act of god would result in re arrangement or refund , as there is likely to be no water the latter applies for a refund ?

Well if it stops you moaning about CC'ers then perhaps its a good thing.

Well if it stops you moaning about CC'ers then perhaps its a good thing.

lol - when was that then ? i may have complained about CC'ers not actually CC'ing according to the regulations and just generally wanting a mooring for nothing to go and do their job/kids education/take the piss and stay in one place etc but apart from that i cannot recollect :)

I can see your point here, but the problem is it would just starve BW/C&RT of more money then less and less would get fixed. It would just be one long downward spiral as I see it.

UPDATE 28th February

Jeff Whyatt has clarified what will be allowed during the two brief March windows.

The summit will be raised and the Marsworth flight will be re-watered. This is intended primarily to be for the benefit of the two local businesses. However, boaters needing to pass over the summit will also be able to do so. However, BW wants to discourage all but the most urgent use of traffic until after 26th March. Even then, the more boats that avoid the area the better.

Isn't it fair to say that this part of the GU was never designed for 'wide beam' boats?

I appreciate that you can get 70' x 14' through the locks and bridges, but wasn't this intended to be 2 x 70' x 7' boats.

The lower sections were 'modified' for widebeam 'barges', but IIRC wasn't this only as far as Hemel Hempstead or there abouts.

The usual take is that it was a barge canal up until Berkhamsted, but not normally traversed by barges above there.

If you look at the often published picture of the GU wide beam boat "Progress", (currently under restoration, and nothing like full "barge width"), passing narrow boats on Tring summit, it is not hard to see how much widening would have been required to allow barges to operate loaded much north of Berkhamsted.

I think the wide-beam thing may be being overstated - most of them, if anything, tend to need a bit less depth than the average leisure narrow boat. Only time, (and the level they decide to lower to), will tell, I guess.

Isn't it fair to say that this part of the GU was never designed for 'wide beam' boats?

I appreciate that you can get 70' x 14' through the locks and bridges, but wasn't this intended to be 2 x 70' x 7' boats.

The lower sections were 'modified' for widebeam 'barges', but IIRC wasn't this only as far as Hemel Hempstead or there abouts.

No, although it certainly became custom and practice.

The Grand Junction linked London with the Oxford Canal at Braunston, they must have anticipated narrow boats using it, but it wasn't their sole intention, the proprietors didn't really know what to expect. They also probably didn't think things through very well and underestimated traffic, hence the duplicate locks on the northern descent from Tring, which were for solo narrow boats, and were retro fitted.

A freight carrying wide beam is a very different proposition to a leisure/liveaboard one. On the Lancaster Canal Ripple couldn't get to the side yet widebeams could, the weight does not increase in proportion to width and so they are generally shallower draft.

You can, however, only get one in a wide lock. Everyone should have boats the size of Juno, six of those will fit in a wide lock ;):lol:

Recieved a automated e-mail, regarding Tring so there is now crossing,on those two weekends,which as I understood the day before it was for urgent traffic etc...

SO IN REALITY ARE WE ALLOWED ACROSS OR NOT...YES OR NO PLEASE...I WISH THOSE IN COMMAND WOULD ISSUSE CLEAR COMMUNICATIONS..I.E IN BLACK AND WHITE..SIMPLE'S(WHERES THAT MERE CAT GONE).

I will be there for the 9th ready or not.