Tring Summit closure

koukouvagia

Featured Posts

I reckon there's a nice big reservoir of snow lying around the Tring summit now and as the gentle thaw begins it will all seep into the ground and nicely be soaked up like blotting paper.

Snow is like polystyrene...Looks like loads of it, when solid, but there's hardly anything there when you melt it, removing all the air, fluffing it up.

Snow is like polystyrene...Looks like loads of it, when solid, but there's hardly anything there when you melt it, removing all the air, fluffing it up.

Yes it'll only be the equivalent of a few hours rainfall.

Hi,

Snow and ice melting quickly, Lagoon water level at bottom of pump inlet (has been 'normal' at this level for a couple of weeks).

Level below Cowroast lock, fair.

L

Alan,

I will find out who drew the moustache, beard and glasses on your election poster, but they do make you look more distinguished.

L.

PS Waterways World are on the ball - no mention of the stoppage in March issue (received this am).

Alan,

I will find out who drew the moustache, beard and glasses on your election poster, but they do make you look more distinguished.

I've decided to save myself the ink, and not do any posters.

I'm fairly confident that Pinky will blanket the entire southern network 10 miles of the K&A that he sees with posters, complete with pre-printed horns and pitchfork.

No problem.

I could probably do with a bit of extra gravitas!

Since I wouldn't know if Alan had a beard and glasses or not, (OK, Yes, I've seen his pic on his profile, but he could have grown a beard since, and his glasses could have been in his pocket at the time the pic was taken) I don't think the picture on his election poster is going to influence whether I vote for him or not! :lol:

However, I can't help feeling that horns and pitchfork would definitely get my vote! I wouldn't dare not! :o

Seriously though, isn't this all getting a bit silly? (OK, yes, I am a master of understatement! :rolleyes: )

I've decided to save myself the ink, and not do any posters.

I'm fairly confident that Pinky will blanket the entire southern network 10 miles of the K&A that he sees with posters, complete with pre-printed horns and pitchfork.

Whereas it is flattering that you should base yet another campaigning decision on your fantasies about me, you have a rather inflated opinion of your self-importance if you think anyone in the south would know who you are let alone be amused by a caricature.

Is there any new information regarding the possibility of passage across the summit in march..as was suggested earler on,that bw would review the situation end of feb.

currently waiting for chersty lock and benson lock on the thames to come off stoppage.as that is looking like my route round...would prefer Tring route...if there chance.

Thanks

Edited by sheriff

Is there any new information regarding the possibility of passage across the summit in march..as was suggested earler on,that bw would review the situation end of feb.

UPDATE

The water levels in the reservoirs are still way below what they should be. No water is being fed from the reservoirs onto the summit and gradually the levels are coming up.

The lowering of the summit by 350mm has worked very successfully and has saved a huge amount of water.

The question BW is now pondering is how to mitigate the effects of the drought when the boating season begins.

No final decision has been made, but by the beginning of March Jeff Whyatt will announce how the restrictions will work. It'll probably mean a continued lower level, say at -300mm, and perhaps restricted lock opening hours.

This would mean that most boats could manage the summit, although I'm not sure about deep draughted boats like mine or the coal boats. Also the dry dock at Bulbourne needs a reasonable level to enable boats to get over the bostocks.

BW are consulting trade users this week.

Edited by koukouvagia