Tring Summit closure

koukouvagia

Featured Posts

Don't get too dispondent, Alan. Here's the response from Philip Brogan:

Sorry for the delay in responding.

I have just had confirmation from our operations team that all will be going ahead tomorrow.

The operations team in charge of this matter inform me that they are going to be filling the pound overnight until 9am at which point the water level will be sufficient for passage to Northchurch.

As for the issue of Ice, I have been informed that this will also be taken care of as our operations team will be retrieving their craft to the North of the pound whilst clearing a navigable strip for stranded craft.

The operations team on site tomorrow will be able to advise or assist you further should it be required.

Kind Regards

The trip is on!

Edited by BlueStringPudding

As for the issue of Ice, I have been informed that this will also be taken care of as our operations team will be retrieving their craft to the North of the pound whilst clearing a navigable strip for stranded craft.

I'd pay good money to see that if it's as thick as I think it will be! Take some nice pictures of BW breaking ice an inch at a time will ya!

Cheers,

Mike

I've asked Philip Brogan to ensure his operational team break the ice all across the winding hole too and at the locklanding bollards so I can wind the boat without damaging Nb Owl which is usually breasted up on the off side of the winding hole. And can then wait for my trusty crewman while watering up (assuming tap isn't frozen of course)

I've asked Philip Brogan to ensure his operational team break the ice all across the winding hole too and at the locklanding bollards so I can wind the boat without damaging Nb Owl which is usually breasted up on the off side of the winding hole. And can then wait for my trusty crewman while watering up (assuming tap isn't frozen of course)

Popcorn and egg sandwiches on here tommorow then !

No speeding past our boats, Alan. I don't want them to suffer from sheet ice damagelaugh.gif

I was planning to use yours as perhaps more suitable to break the ice effectively!

(....But come to think of it, what chance would I have of starting Kelvin :lol:)

I'd pay good money to see that if it's as thick as I think it will be! Take some nice pictures of BW breaking ice an inch at a time will ya!

Well I'm not lending them their old ice-breaker from the section back again!

(Couldn't get it there anyway, because they have emptied most of the pounds at Maffers!).

And can then wait for my trusty crewman while watering up (assuming tap isn't frozen of course)

Well up where we moor at "Cook's" I finally found one tap today that could be coaxed into life after most of the others had refused to give even a dribble.

:D I have stocked up on baps and Ribena. I might make the BW boys some fried egg butties too

what time is the fun supposed to start, might come down with ,my blowtorch...... :lol:

Matty - you are not really clued up on frying eggs, are you ?

It sounds like Ice Station Zebra ....3313206503_bc3a3bc9cc_z.jpg?zz=1

Good luck !

just wondered if BW think that pushing water down into an empty pound at - 5 or below will actually do anything other than fill the pound with ice.

as the water strikes the frozen mud, it will freeze, as it strikes new ice, it will freeze.......it may not even get to the end of the pound, and certainly the lock gates will be almost impossible to move, as the ice freezes up the paddles, gulleys and side channels

Not that us boaters know anything like......

Edited by matty40s

just wondered if BW think that pushing water down into an empty pound at - 5 or below will actually do anything other than fill the pound with ice.

as the water strikes the frozen mud, it will freeze, as it strikes new ice, it will freeze.......it may not even get to the end of the pound, and certainly the lock gates will be almost impossible to move, as the ice freezes up the paddles, gulleys and side channels

Typiical! i am an IT pro but cant get the pic in the post. .. Thanks Matty

Yep -5 sounds about right.

I'm only about 3 miles from Cow Roast, and already both outdoor thermometers here are down to that.

"Nil points" to the BBC weather site then, who were showing -2 as worst case!

Typiical! i am an IT pro but cant get the pic in the post. .. Thanks Matty

next time you do it, take the same link, and stick before it, and then (/img) after it replacing the brackets in the second set with the same square ones as the first set.

Edited by matty40s

Hi,

BW are 'pushing' water up into an empty pound, the lock is currently empty and water will be 'pushed' up into it through an already open sluice.

The whole job is rather pointless (and dangerous with the canal iced over). Had CCs kept to the rules and BW enforced those rules the situation need not have arisen. One boat they maybe trying to move has been moored in the same spot since last August/September..

Let's not kick BW too much but try to interpret the situation after knowing more of the facts, all were given ample time to move to more convenient moorings but chose to try to 'sit it out'.

Leo.

Edited by LEO
  • Greenie 3