has any1 sin my dads boat?

libi

Featured Posts

The contradiction is the poster's condemnation Why do you want to impose your value system on someone else?

With his final sentence, which does precisely that It is an idiom used by the young. Get used to it.

So what is condemned at the start, is practised at the end.

Brian

[/quote

Dont' worry, it was Chris Pink replying to my Off Topic (which is the whole point of saying its off topic) remark - he is just being...well being Chris Pink -ignore him and hopefully he will go away. I prefer to.

• Greenie 1

The contradiction is the poster's condemnation Why do you want to impose your value system on someone else?

With his final sentence, which does precisely that It is an idiom used by the young. Get used to it.

So what is condemned at the start, is practised at the end.

Brian

No it isn't. It is an acceptance of a system used by another.

My former students talked to me in own peculiar argot and I replied in my own - two sets of people talking in different ways still accepting of each other. I drew the line at work that needed to be marked and foul language used towards another person or thing. If I insisted that they dump their slang and argot in everyday conversation then I'm imposing mine on theirs, innit.

Nope, he's just Netherlandish ... help.gif

Well. its certainly "other"landish at least. I have'nt a clue what its supposed to say!

By the way (or should that be BTW?) I like your use of the word "argot". That was a new one on me - had to look it up. Good word, that! I shall look out for a chance to use it myself.

Might get banned for going so far off topic, but really just using up time until the OP does us the courtesy of letting us know the result of all the help she has requested.

Brian

All this stuff about text speak is simple bigotry. It is an idiom used by the young. Get used to it.

Not got a problem with that, and I'm used to it.

Talking and writing in real English words is an idiom of the older, and the young must get used to that.

If I expect a conversation to use my idiom, then according to you I'm a bigot. I must therefore conclude that if a young person expects to use his or her idiom, you would likewise conclude that they are a bigot?

Errant nonsense.

In real life, no matter what idiom you might choose to use yourself, people adopt the appropriate idiom for the situation, and in a situation where you are seeking help from a group of people, your chances of receiving that help are going to be better if you adopt the idiom preferred by the people you would like to help you.

• Greenie 1

If I expect a conversation to use my idiom, then according to you I'm a bigot. I must therefore conclude that if a young person expects to use his or her idiom, you would likewise conclude that they are a bigot?

Of course. What applies to one applies to the other.

I don't understand your casual flinging away of logic or understanding.

And whereas I agree with you that j personally would speak very slowly and clearly when asking for help from the old fogies on here and try and keep my use of semi-colons strictly in accordance with Fowler to maximise to the last percentile my chances of achieving my aim, I don't believe it polite to criticise someone else's use of their own idiom.

To reducio ad absurdam (forgive the lack of italics, pray) if someone was bleeding to death in front of you would you stand there saying "what's the magic word?" while they cried " help".

I like your use of the word "argot". That was a new one on me - had to look it up.

Brian

So did I but sadly I left the T off the end and the urban dictionary suggested a completely different thing which made me seriously concerned about Jill's teaching methods :o

And whereas I agree with you that j personally would speak very slowly and clearly when asking for help from the old fogies on here and try and keep my use of semi-colons strictly in accordance with Fowler to maximise to the last percentile my chances of achieving my aim, I don't believe it polite to criticise someone else's use of their own idiom.

To reducio ad absurdam (forgive the lack of italics, pray) if someone was bleeding to death in front of you would you stand there saying "what's the magic word?" while they cried " help".

Let us consider two known facts;

1) A number of people will see the txt spk and decide that they actually can't be bothered trying to help somebody who can't be bothered to ask in a way that can be most easily understood.

2) I am currently sat in an office in Leeds and consequently unable to directly assist.

I trust that we can agree upon those two facts?

So, given those facts, what courses of action are open to me, which might assist the OP?

A) Say nothing about the use of language in the post, and leave the OP top manage with such help as is prepared to work with the OP's idiom.

B) Say "by posting like that, you are reducing the number of people who might help"

You may well say that you don't think (B) is very polite, but it is certainly more helpful than (A).

If everybody is polite, and says nothing, the OP will never know that her idiom is acting as a barrier.

They don't do predictive text speak - they do 'predictive text and can be turned on or off - how you do this depends on your phone model - on most older Nokia's for example it's under menu>settings>dictionary...from memory they call it something like T9 (or that may be Sony Ericsson's name for it :unsure: )

ed to add - I see from Kiki's post T9 is a universal name for it.

Mine is almost brand new (bought to replace one written off after the fire). It's a Binatone, but a proper full-size plug-in one, not a mobile phone. I do not want to use it for sending texts, but I wonder if it can, just out of curiosity.

Perhaps I should read a little further in its little manual!

I always type slowly as I know some of our older members can't read very quickly.