has any1 sin my dads boat?

libi

Featured Posts

I have expressed my opinion many times on this so might as well do it again..............

If I came on this forum and asked members to give me the private address of another person would you do that?

People on boats are entitled to have the position of there boats kept private, It makes me smile that people on here who use a anonymous user name and give no information about themselves seem only to happy to give information on other people.

I have met plenty of people on the system who would be very annoyed to think that they think they have escaped from some incident in their life and are trying to keep away from some incident could be located just simply by someone posting on here.

I am totally in agreement with the above. The OP posted a very cryptic (sorry cant think of another word right now) request and just did not give any pertinant information. If the person looking for a missing boat or person is genuine the best thing they can and should do I think is to ask if anyone does see this person to please pass on a message to contact them on XYZ number.

Surely this saves a sort of Data Protection issue breaking out, and if she had just been clear in the first place 7 pages of whittering back and forth would have been saved.

Would be nice to know the outcome though.

:smiley_offtopic: I absolutly detest textspeak, maybe I am old fashioned but if you want to communcate with people I still think normal English works better - surely no one is still in possession of a telephone so old it cannot do predictive text - mine cost me £9 and does so no need for the Txtspk (or whatever)

Based on the information given by the OP if I had been in the area or knew of the whereabouts of the boat in question then I would in the first have gone to the boat to see if anyone was on board. If not then a few enquiries with people on boats in the area about when I might find someone on board or if they know how I might make contact with the owner of the boat. It is likely that during the conversation you would get an idea how long the boat had been there and how long since anyone had seen anybody on board. If it were my boat I would have no objection to a concerned individual making these type of enquiries.

If the boat looked as though it was in danger of not staying afloat much longer then I may well contact BW. They should be able to contact the registered owner of the boat and assuming the details held with BW link back to the OP's family it solves her problem. If it does not then it has alerted the owner of the boat to a potential problem without compromising anyones security.

Sadly I was not in the area and so was unable to assist but the hope is that someone somewhere has read the plea and is quietly going about doing something similr to the above without the need to ask loads of questions.

:smiley_offtopic: I absolutly detest textspeak, maybe I am old fashioned but if you want to communcate with people I still think normal English works better - surely no one is still in possession of a telephone so old it cannot do predictive text - mine cost me £9 and does so no need for the Txtspk (or whatever)

That is a very good point actually - it must be harder to type in text speak (at least on a phone) now and work out how to defeat what your phone thinks you want to type and abbreviate it back to text speak - I get a choice of words after typing the first two letters of a word on mine and the word I want is very often if not always the first or second choice...

I have nothing against Texting if it is confined to its appropriate place, which is on the screen of a mobile telephone, preferably for use by the under-20s - it is often hard to tell what they're on about when they talk (mumble?)out loud, but they will understand each other in Text!

How does a telephone do "predictive text speak"? I am sure that mine doesn't.

That is a very good point actually - it must be harder to type in text speak (at least on a phone) now and work out how to defeat what your phone thinks you want to type and abbreviate it back to text speak - I get a choice of words after typing the first two letters of a word on mine and the word I want is very often if not always the first or second choice...

I always turn predictive text off on my phones as my spelling is so bad. Thankfully iphone is helpful without being full on predictive.

To be fair some kids these days just strugle to talk or write properly esspecially on line as they are so use to conversing with their friends online in this manner.

I could read the OP's posts without much effort and feel that some people were being rude or pedantic for the sake of it. Its a shame that these posts have to come inbetween the genuinly helpful ones.

surely no one is still in possession of a telephone so old it cannot do predictive text - mine cost me £9 and does so no need for the Txtspk (or whatever)

I have no idea whether mine does or not. I think it has more to do with the age of the person. :wacko:

But I think everyone would like to know if there has been a result!

I have nothing against Texting if it is confined to its appropriate place, which is on the screen of a mobile telephone, preferably for use by the under-20s - it is often hard to tell what they're on about when they talk (mumble?)out loud, but they will understand each other in Text!

I am a bit of a technophone but I would be prepared to bet if your phone is less than about 5 years old it will be able to do T9 - more than 800 models worldwide are set up to do it....of course we are talking mobile here - I haven't mastered texting on a BT landline yet :rolleyes:

They don't do predictive text speak - they do 'predictive text and can be turned on or off - how you do this depends on your phone model - on most older Nokia's for example it's under menu>settings>dictionary...from memory they call it something like T9 (or that may be Sony Ericsson's name for it :unsure: )

ed to add - I see from Kiki's post T9 is a universal name for it.

Edited by MJG

It doesn't, that's the point Martin (MJG) was making, it will try to put an ordinary word in it's place.

Predictive text can be turned off of course, I know I didn't get on with it at first.

Edited to add: Must learn to type faster, I've just repeated what everyone else has said, laugh out loud.

Edited by Dyad

Why do you want to impose your value system on someone else? Nobody is asking anyone to respond in text language. There is too much implication of ' I don't want to help because you dont articulate in way I want you to' in this thread which smacks of hypocrisy. I don't accuse you of this but the fact that you inserted this comment into thus thread rather than start 'text speak - good or bad' in the virtual pub means that it is pertinent to the reaction to a call for help.

As happens I agree with the rest of your post about privacy but I think this is a matter for someone local to make their own judgement. The post above (can't see it on the phone) - go look if empty and sinking take action if not pass message is a blast of helpful fresh air.

All this stuff about text speak is simple bigotry. It is an idiom used by the young. Get used to it.

Eta: it was Cheshire rose - usually a voice of common sense.

Edited by Chris Pink

Sorry Chris you have me lost now? Eta? I thought was estimated time of arrival?

My wife has a large friend called Heather and her phone always wants to call her heavier. You have to be careful what you say!

My phone always wants to call my friend who's name is Eileen "Dildo" :blush:

Why do you want to impose your value system on someone else? Nobody is asking anyone to respond in text language. There is too much implication of ' I don't want to help because you dont articulate in way I want you to' in this thread which smacks of hypocrisy. I don't accuse you of this but the fact that you inserted this comment into thus thread rather than start 'text speak - good or bad' in the virtual pub means that it is pertinent to the reaction to a call for help.

As happens I agree with the rest of your post about privacy but I think this is a matter for someone local to make their own judgement. The post above (can't see it on the phone) - go look if empty and sinking take action if not pass message is a blast of helpful fresh air.

All this stuff about text speak is simple bigotry. It is an idiom used by the young. Get used to it.

See any contradiction?????

Brian

Some people don't like predictive text, possibly because it shows their phones can spell better than they can, so they switch it off.

My wife has a large friend called Heather and her phone always wants to call her heavier. You have to be careful what you say!

Predictive text changes

"I am leaving for home"

to

"I am leaving for good"

You might not want to send that to the other half! :mellow:

David

I don't agree with that on two points; I think many of the condemnations of text speak are based on the fact that it would be better and more polite to communicate in the language of your target audience, rather that which is comfortable to you. This isn't bigotry, it's just consideration. Unless you're in the habit of shouting at French people because you find that easier than attempting their language when abroad?

And, I'm still in the sceptical camp and don't think divulging the whereabouts of this boat is necessarily doing its owner a good turn. Especially (sorry folks), as this is a xx looking for an xy's property. I'd report it's state, perhaps, but not where it was. Call me King Lear if you will.

Edited by Nine of Hearts
  • Greenie 1

Sorry Chris you have me lost now? Eta? I thought was estimated time of arrival?

eta is forumspeak for edited to add ( I am assuming you are not being ironic, difficult to tell in a discussion of idiom)

I absolutely and utterly detest forumspeak and emoticons seeing them as the resort of very lazy people but I don't normally express this opinion and certainly would not factor it in to a response for help or information.

I suppose next time someone asks about am area of my expertise and puts a smiley at the end I should refuse to answer until they rephrase their question in the way I prefer?

I don't agree with that on two points; I think many of the condemnations of text speak are based on the fact that it would be better and more polite to communicate in the language of your target audience, rather that which is comfortable to you. This isn't bigotry, it's just consideration. Unless you're in the habit of shouting at French people because you find that easier than attempting their language when abroad?

And, I'm still in the sceptical camp and don't think divulging the whereabouts of this boat is necessarily doing its owner a good turn. Especially (sorry folks), as this is a xx looking for an xy's property. I'd report it's state, perhaps, but not where it was. Call me King Lear if you will.

Agreeing with your 2nd point.

Your 1st; if a French person with bad English asked me for help I wouldn't judge them on whether they asked in English or French or both (or sign language) as long as I could understand I would respond to the content. The OP did not shout so introducing this for dramatic effect won't wash.

Mind I've had French people refuse to give me directions because they didn't like my French.

Your 1st; if a French person with bad English asked me for help I wouldn't judge them on whether they asked in English or French or both (or sign language) as long as I could understand I would respond to the content. The OP did not shout so introducing this for dramatic effect won't wash.

To labour the analogy to death, if a french person asked in bad english, I might assume they couldn't speak english. You appear to be suggesting the OP can't write english? The shouting referred to a scenario where the person asking didn't even make an attempt. No dramatic effect intended. I think it does wash. You should see my whites.

eta is forumspeak for edited to add ( I am assuming you are not being ironic, difficult to tell in a discussion of idiom)

No Sorry Chris, I genuinley did not know that so TIL - which was something I leaned from another forum member only last week - for those who do not know TIL = Today I Learned

One day I will manage to remember what all these three letter acronyms mean.

I assume that she is more confident in her idiom. I also assume she didn't expect such collective outrage. . As I said in the other thread I understood the content why make an issue about the idiom?

I imagine she communicates thus as a matter of course. Unlike others I don't consider her a lower form of life to have done so.

To labour your analogy a little further, often when I struggle in French the person I am speaking to will switch to English. This is politeness where I was brought up.

It would be impolite to criticise a French person for not being able to speak English before they come here.

TIL -

Outrageous!!!!

Er no, sorry, Brian.

The contradiction is the poster's condemnation Why do you want to impose your value system on someone else?

With his final sentence, which does precisely that It is an idiom used by the young. Get used to it.

So what is condemned at the start, is practised at the end.

Brian

• Greenie 1