I would like to nominate*** for CaRT

cotswoldsman

Featured Posts

I know I said in the first thread that I would prefer people who are interested in standing to throw their hat in the ring. but these tweo new theads have confused the issue. Consequently, I will modify my suggestion with a proposal that is broadly in line with normal democratic nomination procedure:-

People can nominate others to have their name put forward in the hope that they can gather 10 nomminees, but can only do so after they have sought and received the agreement of the person who's name is being put forward, and that faxct is stated as part of the proposal.

I think the 'I would like to stand' thread has to let to run to see who, if anybody, adds their name.

They would have to be passionate about the system, and not necessarily a CC er.

There are many that I know through this forum who would in my view be ideal, but I have not met any of them.

Lets hear their manifesto(s) first.

Martyn

The idea here is that we post who we would like to nominate and then that person at least knows he is wanted.

I nominate Alan Fincher as one of my candidates.

BW sent us all a bit of paper telling us all about it and asking if we would like to stand for election. I wouldnt vote for anybody on this forum because we need to be weird to be on here. :D

My vote goes to Bruce Coleman a liveaboard who has travelled the entire system for over 40 years and a great friend of mine and many boaters. He will not read this as he as with many long term boaters dont use tinternet, indeed he hasnt even got a tv ( The Devils lantern ) he calls it but his knowledge of our waterways is extensive and a great bloke too. :D

I really don't like the whole 'it should be this kind of boater/ that kind of boater' vibe.

Everyone is here because of their interest in boats and desire to see the waterways thrive.

No one is more qualified than anyone else, or cares more than anyone else, just because of how they use their boat.

This forum represents a diverse section of the waterways community and as such, I think any candidates that stand and get support from here are going to be the 'right' kind of boater, regardless of how they use their boat.

• Greenie 1

I really don't like the whole 'it should be this kind of boater/ that kind of boater' vibe.

<snip>

Nor me. Fortunately, as this is only a discussion forum, not the place the election will happen, it doesn't matter

Richard

Alan's name has appeared a lot in this discussion, but he has remained remarkably silent on the issue. Has anyone actually asked him if he is willing to have his name put forward?

Do we have to ask - if it goes forward as a nominee, he could always decline to be part of any nomination, his name has come up a number of times though which I think says a lot for the support he would carry if he did....

Alan's name has appeared a lot in this discussion, but he has remained remarkably silent on the issue. Has anyone actually asked him if he is willing to have his name put forward?

Yes,

Despite some reservations about lack of information about role and process, I have now thrown my name into the frame.

However, having watched those parliamentary leadership election in the past, I am familiar that before any serious candidate declares, they always wait for the "stalking horse" to come forward.

Now Dave Mayall has taken the lead, I'm happy to join in!

I'll stand behing Patrick if he's playing; shall I give him a bell?

& Graham Oliver.

Oh My word :help:

Was my original nomination based on some unseen assessment of my competence or the likelyhood that I'd be stupid enough to agree :blink:

(note, between shifts in Felixstowe at the moment, adding Port Experience to the CV) :wacko:

edited to add, and as I posted that, my phone rang :o

Edited by magpie patrick

I have been wrestling with a problem identified by a number of contributors which is how one gets ten people living in disparate parts of the country to all sign a nomination form over the Christmas/New year period.

So without a mandate from anyone, I took it upon myself to phone the Electoral Reform Society to enquire whether they had made any provision for either receiving ten forms each with one signature and marked as part of a "Group Nomination" or alternatively to permit a master nomination form with nine attatched signed addendums to be accepted.

Whilst the man (I did get his name) I spoke to admitted that no such arrangements had been considered, he immediately recognised the problem and has agreed to consult with BW to enquire whether any such arrangements could be made.

He has promised to phone me back, and I will let you know the outcome.

Edited by David Schweizer

I have been wrestling with a problem identified by a number of contributors which is how one gets ten people living in disparate parts of the country to all sign a nomination form over the Christmas/New year period.

So without a mandate from anyone, I took it upon myself to phone the Electoral Reform Society to enquire whether they had made any provision for either receiving ten forms each with one signature and marked as part of a "Group Nomination" or alternatively to permit a master nomination form with nine attatched signed addendums to be accepted.

Whilst the man (I did get his name) I spoke to admitted that no such arrangements had been considered, he immediately recognised the problem and has agreed to consult with BW to enquire whether any such arrangements could be made.

He has promised to phone me back, and I will let you know the outcome.

When he does call you back could you mention one or two of the other minor points that are central to this election? Like how many votes do we get, and perhaps as an aside who was or is so monumentally incompetant that such questions should need to be asked about an election which is already called.

When he does call you back could you mention one or two of the other minor points that are central to this election? Like how many votes do we get, and perhaps as an aside who was or is so monumentally incompetant that such questions should need to be asked about an election which is already called.

Might wish to ask about boats being licenced in two names as well. If a boat is shared, then the licence holder up to two of the owners.

With regard to 'monumentally incompetent', the buck must stop with the trustees. However, my guess is that the task was delegated to Simon Salem to sort out. I guess further that it was then delegated to Sally Ash which is why she is trying to field some of questions being asked rather than them being referred to those responsible - the trustees.

My vote goes to Bruce Coleman a liveaboard who has travelled the entire system for over 40 years and a great friend of mine and many boaters.

I've not seen Bruce for a while however when I worked at Tooley's he was in and out of the yard fairly regularly. A couple of occasions he spent a few months at working along side us. A jolly character, clever, patient, friendly, generous and seemingly well loved by all. One thing that struck me about Bruce was just how many people he knows on the Oxford.

I think he used to run a hotel boat, or at least work for one. He also paints boats, and does traditional decoration. I also have a feeling that he is fairly savvy old fellow, and defo a hardcore stalwart of the canal for many years.

He's salt of the earth and venerable, he would get my vote if he were a candidate.