I would like to nominate*** for CaRT

cotswoldsman

Featured Posts

With the anti CC feeling on here I doubt it.

Thats a shame, as all the others mentioned are weekend hobbyists. Of course there are also a few vested interests lurking (business owners and the like)

I for one would not vote for anyone without seeing a basic 'C.V.' at the very least.

Thats a shame, as all the others mentioned are weekend hobbyists. Of course there are also a few vested interests lurking (business owners and the like)

I for one would not vote for anyone without seeing a basic 'C.V.' at the very least.

Think you will find they are boaters.........in my opinion with the 2 I have seen put names forward so far I would be quite happy for them to represent the views of CCers

Thats a shame, as all the others mentioned are weekend hobbyists.

Do you not see that comments like that do nothing for your case? I am not, and never have been, anti CC, and as mere "hobbyist" I probably have more experience of boating than many latter day continuous cruisers.

I really cannot see the relevance of differentiating between those who live in houses and own a boat, and those who live on a boat and continuously cruise. Each has their own perspective and both are as relevant as the other. Divide and rule gets us nowhere.

So is there no CCer prepared to stand for election?

I hope that is slightly tongue in cheek, John ?

I very seldom detect any kind of bias against people who genuinely CC on the forum.

Probably no more so than bias against those of us told we are "not real boaters" because we live aboard full time. :rolleyes:

There are shades of "in between" by the way.... I calculate we have boated on one or other of the boats for approaching 90 days this year, a lot more than many CCers manage, albeit we have never achieved a full month aboard continuously - a bit more than "weekend boating" though.

Whilst there can be no sweeping generalisations, I rather suspect of getting involved on the CaRT council.....

1) It will be easier for those not working, (e.g retirees), as meetings will probably be daytime events.

2) It may not prove as easy for a CCer to be in the right place at the right time to easily attend.

3) (Quite probably!), a lot will end up going on in the South, if these things follow a typical course.

Obviously the geographical spread, and "boater type" of those involved needs to be as wide as possible, but I know this is not the kind of thing I could even have thought about doing when I had a day job. I wouldn't put my name up for consideration, if I didn't think i could devote a fair bit of time to it, (I can easily find that by using up less on here!), and be reasonably certain of getting to any meetings required.

Think you will find they are boaters.........in my opinion with the 2 I have seen put names forward so far I would be quite happy for them to represent the views of CCers

Ah! Only noted after I posted!

Fair enough then, John!

I do know a fair number of continuous cruisers, and see no reason why the fact I'm only on my boat at the moment about a quarter of days in the year doesn't mean I couldn't represent them.

Come through my local patch when I'm out on a walk, (carefully "picking up" after my dog, if he is accompanying, of course!), and you may well find me chatting to some.

Do you not see that comments like that do nothing for your case? I am not, and never have been, anti CC, and as mere "hobbyist" I probably have more experience of boating than many latter day continuous cruisers.

I really cannot see the relevance of differentiating between those who live in houses and own a boat, and those who live on a boat and continuously cruise. Each has their own perspective and both are as relevant as the other. Divide and rule gets us nowhere.

David it was slightly tongue in cheek.....................

I also see no difference between people who live in a house or live on a boat. When do I stop being a "latter day continuous cruiser"?

I assumed as much.

First reaction was to post a denial of any such feeling, then I saw that you'd posted it, and I know that as a REAL cc-er, you don't encounter any such prejudice

I agree, but more information will apparently accompany the Nomination forms, including the revisions I have already mentioned.

I am really glad that I asked the questions you raised yesterday, now I am dodging your bullets.

I am genuinely sorry if you feel you are dodging my bullets. I am angry that this has been approached in such a slapdash "anything will do" manner and if a few flecks of my foaming at the mouth have caught you then it has been unintentional and I assure you I am not infectious! :blush:

Indeed, I am now wondering what may be done to better inform the wider constituency who have not had the benefit of your enquiries.

I assumed as much.

First reaction was to post a denial of any such feeling, then I saw that you'd posted it, and I know that as a REAL cc-er, you don't encounter any such prejudice

Just a CCer!!! Next you will want me to join maffi's club and become a Genuine Continuous Cruiser........

I also see no difference between people who live in a house or live on a boat. When do I stop being a "latter day continuous cruiser"?

It was not a reference to you, or any named person in particular.I don't even know how long you have been boating, let alone continuous cruising.

My observation was more reflective of some of the comments we receive on the forum from people who have taken up continuous cruising as a life style choice (often enforced) only very recently and have somehow received an injection of wisdon and knowledge which they believe is vastly superior to 40+ years of boating experience that some of us have enjoyed.

A lot of boat owners live no where near a waterway, and moor their boat a long way from where they live, visiting infrequently during the winter. The time frame for collecting signatures is only a few weeks, with Christmas and the New year in between, which seriously hampers the collection of signatures from people who know them well enough to sign a nomimnation for Counci membership.

I live nearly a hundred miles from our mooring, and I know a lot of Boaters. Given a couple of (summer) months I could probably do what you suggest quite easily, but even if I spent all weekend at our mooring at this time of the year, I doubt that ten others would turn up, and I very much doubt that I could find ten boaters who live near my home, and who know me well enough to nominate me for the Council.

I am sure you are not suggesting that mooring your boat a long way from where you live, and not knowing many boaters in your immediate residential area should be a disqualifier for Council mebership? but the short timeframe being given for Nomination, as it stands at the moment, certainly leans towards people who live near their boat mooring and at a location where other boat owners regularly meet up in numbers (a Boat Club for example?)

Edited to add:- Surely our primary objective should be to ensure that the bery best candidtes are nominated for election, not just those who can be nominated conveniently ?

Each candidate's circumstances will be different. Some will quite easily get their sponsors locally.

In your case the second part of my post applies & you may find enough CWF members close by that can sign.

Even if you have additional forms you still have to get their addresses, send them out, hope that they get them through the Christmas post & that the sponsors haven't gone away for the holiday & get the form back to you in time etc.

As it's Christmas coming up, I'm sure that the 'bery' best candidates will apply ----- or did you mean 'beery? :cheers:

Given that it is being run by the ERS, I think it fair to assume that STV will be used.

As such, only those who have at least n/4 (where n is the number of votes cast) 1st preference votes will be elected straight off.

Thereafter, vote transfers from eliminated candidates and surpluses from elected candidates will come into play.

No doubt a liberal democrat will be along shortly to advise, but doesnt this mean that we should all try and agree the same name to put at No1, 2 etc

so as to stand the most chance of getting a candidate from CWDF in?

Are we not going through the motions here in the hope that a forum member may find a place on the council and might possibly keep the forum members in the picture? There is at least one member, who's name has been put forward, who might lose the vote on here but could, quite easily, find support outside the forum; a better chance.

I will vote on the members of the forum who are voted for on the forum, but may vote differently in the main election. However, I will want to vote for a forum member.

Whilst there can be no sweeping generalisations, I rather suspect of getting involved on the CaRT council.....

1) It will be easier for those not working, (e.g retirees), as meetings will probably be daytime events.

2) It may not prove as easy for a CCer to be in the right place at the right time to easily attend.

3) (Quite probably!), a lot will end up going on in the South, if these things follow a typical course.

I'd like to nominate Bizzard:-

Semi Retired

Full time liveaboard

Based in the South East

Vast practical knowledge of boats, rivers and canals.

Good communicator

Sense of humour

A true boater.

Hi Grahame

I can see why you'd propose Bizzard, but have you though it might eat into valuable Wheeeeze thinking-up time?. Could lead to anarchy & a forum calamity. Nope, sorry, can't second that ;)

It was not a reference to you, or any named person in particular.I don't even know how long you have been boating, let alone continuous cruising.

My observation was more reflective of some of the comments we receive on the forum from people who have taken up continuous cruising as a life style choice (often enforced) only very recently and have somehow received an injection of wisdon and knowledge which they believe is vastly superior to 40+ years of boating experience that some of us have enjoyed.

So because some have been boating for 40 + years thats makes their wisdom and knowledge vastly superior to anybody who has done less then the aforementioned 40 + yrs ? What a load of b*****ks. 40yrs boating two weeks a year compared to 20yrs four weeks a year compared to 10 yrs eight weeks a yr etc etc etc.20 yrs living on a boat or 40 yrs owning a boat the permutations are endless.

And l would like to meet the boater who has been cruising the canals non stop for the past 40 + years and has built up this unattainable wealth of knowledge.

l thought it was this very kind of elite is attitude we were trying to avoid in electing a spokesperson for our group.

14skipper

Edited by 14skipper

So because some have been boating for 40 + years thats makes their wisdom and knowledge vastly superior to anybody who has done less then the aforementioned 40 + yrs ? What a load of b*****ks. 40yrs boating two weeks a year compared to 20yrs four weeks a year compared to 10 yrs eight weeks a yr etc etc etc.20 yrs living on a boat or 40 yrs owning a boat the permutations are endless.

l thought it was this very kind of elite is attitude we were trying to avoid in electing a spokesperson for our group.

14skipper

Well yes it is this kind of attitude we want to avoid, which is why David posted as he did to point out that living on the canal does not confer any special wisdom or insight. Ducks do it.

Hi Grahame

I can see why you'd propose Bizzard, but have you though it might eat into valuable Wheeeeze thinking-up time?. Could lead to anarchy & a forum calamity. Nope, sorry, can't second that ;)

I think you're underestimating Bizzard's intellectual prowess! His Wheezes of the Week are just off the cuff musings, dashed off in moments of whimsey. A mind like his when properly focussed on the problems that beset the organisation of our rivers and canals could throw up all sorts of solutions that may be out of capability of lesser mortals to conceive.

Just trying to catch up with where we have got to re the CRT Council nominations since I was last able to take a proper look at the forum.

I'm confused as there appear to be several threads running on the issue, but if I am right we now have 2 members who have definitely said that they are willing to stand. These are Dave Mayall and Alan Fincher. My apologies if I have missed others, as I said, I am confused!

However, I would support Dave and Alan. They both seem to post on here in a sensible and knowledgeable way and are able to present themselves and their opinions in a clear and considered fashion. If they have the time and are willing to use it in this way, as they indicate they are, they deserve our support.

I said before that I'd wondered whether I should put my own name forward, but I had reservations, and as there now seem to be at least 2 other better known and willing candidates, I shall forget my own thoughts on the matter.

That said, I would be very happy to offer support to any forum member who does succeed in getting elected. The exact role the Council will be able to develop for itself remains to be seen. If however, there should be any need for advice from a Chartered Civil Engineer with 40 years experience of old infrastructure and running sizeable engineering organisations, I would be available to ask if that would be helpful.

What happens now? Are the people who have put their names forward getting on with obtaining nominations? Do they need any help with that?

trackman

I think you're underestimating Bizzard's intellectual prowess! His Wheezes of the Week are just off the cuff musings, dashed off in moments of whimsey. A mind like his when properly focussed on the problems that beset the organisation of our rivers and canals could throw up all sorts of solutions that may be out of capability of lesser mortals to conceive.

Hells bells Grahame r,go easy,that's nonsense,i've not many capabilities these days apart from litter-picking and train spotting. :blink: