Alternative to Cork key ring

GinJer

Featured Posts

This isn't the same thing that other members have complained about is it? If I recall, the complaints were that it either goes off in the rain, or doesn't go off at all and needs the gubbins replacing with a tampon.

Is this a different bit of kit?

Tony

A chap I met told me he would never use one again. He fell in with keys in pocket. Apparently they go off with quite some force (rather like a car airbag was his description). Not only did it rip his jeans apart, it also attacked him in the 'gentlemens area' and left him with a very nasty bruise at the top of his leg.

Edited by Speedwheel

A chap I met told me he would never use one again. He fell in with keys in pocket. Apparently they go off with quite some force (rather like a car airbag was his description). Not only did it rip his jeans apart, it also attacked him in the 'gentlemens area' and left him with a very nasty bruise at the top of his leg.

Sounds like a load of bo***cks to me.

Brian

On the list for Santa...

I know it won't lift as much but I am happy with a cork ball on a key ring. It works and it can be used again and again.

I think where it scores is if you drop them in under the cover of darkness. Ok a torch would help you locate a cork floating on the surface but by the time you've gone for one they could have floated some considerable distance away.

I know it won't lift as much but I am happy with a cork ball on a key ring. It works and it can be used again and again.

In some ways I can see where you're coming from but, IIRC, I tested a cork ball type with the bunch of keys that I had for my previous boat and it either sank or barely floated. I know I was surprised that it wasn't as capable as I thought it might be. So, I reckon that if you go for the cork ball type, it's worth testing somewhere safe with your full set of keys to be sure it will float adequately.

Roger

Edited by Albion

In some ways I can see where you're coming from but, IIRC, I tested a cork ball type with the bunch of keys that I had for my previous boat and it either sank or barely floated. I know I was surprised that it wasn't as capable as I thought it might be. So, I reckon that if you go for the cork ball type, it's worth testing somewhere safe with your full set of keys to be sure it will float adequately.

Roger

Indeed as I said it won't take the wait that the balloon thing will but it is cheap and lasts for continued use. You do need to be careful how much weight are on them but I tested my cork key rings used on the boat and all floated in the canal well enough. I tied them to a piece of string just in case.

As someone posted above an old a lemon juice bottle works very well too. They will carry more weight if needed than a cork keyring.

I can see how a flotation device with a light as in the one in the OP would be useful at sea but on a canal I think less so.

Edited by churchward

I have a couple of those things for my keys and they do work...

After about 10 or 15 seconds it deploys gently and the balloon bobbed to the surface - presumably as a plug dissolves and water gets in for the chemical reaction to take place. I use mine on my motorbike and it has got rained on without going off. The led is powered by two small batteries that only make contact when it deploys...bit cheaper on ebay too.

I have and will buy these again.

Edited by Paringa