The old days of cruising.

The Pipe

Featured Posts

Seem to recall a hire firm called Just Boats who hired what amounted to pontoons with canvas covers. I think they may have been based at Crick. Does anyone else remeber them?

When my parents hired Blue Peter, a 24ft(?) centre cockpit cruiser from Blue Line Cruisers at Braunston in 1965, Blue Line also hired out camping punts. These were small rectangular craft, about 20 ft long, 6-7 ft wide, square ended and propelled by outboard motor. They had a canvas canopy supported on poles at each corner, and removable sidecloths could be attached to enclose the interior at night. We passed some on our trip and I remember them pictured in the brochure.

Other companies may well have hired out something similar.

David

Seem to recall a hire firm called Just Boats who hired what amounted to pontoons with canvas covers. I think they may have been based at Crick. Does anyone else remeber them?

These could have been our families start on the canals pontoon with a tent and a handfull of petrol coupons for the outboard, but I was the one sleeping in a margarine box so no memories of that.

Hyperion_001.jpg

The last time I saw "Pictor" I was steering her and she was on cross straps behind Gazelle on the main line taking her to bradley.

Looks like there's at least one guy up there who is about to be going for a swim as the balance beam swings round. :o

When was this picture taken?

Can't say with absolute certainty, because it was taken from a "National Geographic" dated July 1974.

From what I recall of Hyperion then, and its steerer Tony Dunkley, not a lot earlier than that I'd say, and definitely "early 1970s".

ED: Typing error.

Edited by alan_fincher

Can't say with absolute certainty, because it was taken from a "National Geographic" dated July 1974.

From what I recall of Hyperion then, and its steerer Tony Dunkley, not a lot earlier than that I'd say, and definitely "early 1970s".

ED: Typing error.

I only asked as I have spotted the "Time Traveler" the man on the hire boat is using a mobile phone.

See

:)

I only asked as I have spotted the "Time Traveler" the man on the hire boat is using a mobile phone.

I seem to remember that suggestion being made before!

It is possible Mr Dunkley is in the middle of an "ear scratch", but remembering the man, I suspect it is more likely he is taking a drag on a "rollup"!

Without getting too much into the "we used to boat in just a shoebox with the seams taped up" thing, I do think a lot of the spirit of boating back then has been lost with luxury fitted narrowboats that regularly cost well into six figures so much in the ascendancy.

Some of us still "make do" with a 1950s hire boat, of course:

y586_21136a.jpg

Carl that's a nice boat, is/ was it yours?

This thread has been an eyeopener, when I first got to Braunston (With Carl actually, and piss wet through we were too!) and was looking at the old pics on the wall of the marina shop there, it was pointed out to me that in the aerial marina shots from the 70's the marina was full of GRP or presumably wooden boats and nary a narrowboat in sight... But come the late 80's onwards, same marina, the story totally reversed.

Carl that's a nice boat, is/ was it yours?

This thread has been an eyeopener, when I first got to Braunston (With Carl actually, and piss wet through we were too!) and was looking at the old pics on the wall of the marina shop there, it was pointed out to me that in the aerial marina shots from the 70's the marina was full of GRP or presumably wooden boats and nary a narrowboat in sight... But come the late 80's onwards, same marina, the story totally reversed.

Go back another 10 and "whats a marina?" Oh some puppet out of...

Edited by Jim Evans

Do you think that the makeshift rafts the kids were on would be allowed in a canal today?It did seem to be far simpler times probably more fun less red tape and health and safety.

{takes off rose tinted specs] :rolleyes:

They look well built to me. Back in the days when kids knew how to make rafts ;)

The fact that they were transiting through the lock! Can you imagine what the risk assessment would be today.

Do you think that the makeshift rafts the kids were on would be allowed in a canal today?It did seem to be far simpler times probably more fun less red tape and health and safety.

{takes off rose tinted specs] :rolleyes:

Of course they would, there is nothing to gainsay boat safety on a raft with no engine or appliances. I would hazard even an outboard could pass easily.