Are you new to boating?? CLICK HERE

Sam

Featured Posts

Hi everybody, my wife and I are new to Narrow boating but really excited to have (and share) some of the freedom this lifestyle can deliver. We also realise the confined that go along with the benefits. We have bought a boat and it seems to have all the mod cons, but I have a question regarding Internet access.

We currently live in France and are moving back to the UK and we don't know the best Cellular Provider to go with either for Voice or perhaps more importantly Internet access.

Can anyone recommend the best service provider especially for 3G or 4G dongle (hopefully with a WiFi modem) internet access.

Thank you. John and Brenda

Three (they are the network). The One Plan (that is the tarrif). Gives you unlimeted everything. If your are only an occasional user you may be able to find a better deal.

Well hallo. New to here (really?!) but not new to boating, as we have a boat on the river Hamble. We are looking to get into canal boating in a few years time when I can collect a pension from the NHS and we'll be in a position to add to our boat collection! We will be downsizing to pay for it and have decided that, nice as sailing is (my view is VERY nice, other half not quite so sure!) we should seriously explore the option of inland boating. My first question, bearing in mind that we live in West Sussex and won't be moving far from here is where can we go to look at some boats up for sale to get an idea of what to expect. Our only experience of inland waterways is a week on the Thames in the summer of '76 (wow, what fun that was) and we feel that a week on a narrowboat might be a good idea? I'm on A/L this week ('till the 16th Feb) and don't mind travelling for a couple of hours by car, but would like to visit somewhere that has a few for sale to see some variety. We have had a mobo, a yacht an dnow back to a mobo for the next 4-5 years, so not complete novices. Ta in advance, Ian and Julia.

There are a good number of boats to look at on the brokerages at Whilton. Braunston, Crick and Calcutt (all in the Northampton-ish area - easily accessible from the M1).

I am not sure you will find much further south, I am afraid, though Harefield are advertising about ten at present in Waterways World

Hi, while you will find all of the brokers will help you and have really good opportunities I have to say that ABNB at Crick have been absolutely wonderful for us. We are living in France and they found us the right boat at the right price. Then after we bought it they have been stunning looking after it until we can be back there in April. So try them we did and we are really happy.

Well hallo. New to here (really?!) but not new to boating, as we have a boat on the river Hamble. We are looking to get into canal boating in a few years time when I can collect a pension from the NHS and we'll be in a position to add to our boat collection! We will be downsizing to pay for it and have decided that, nice as sailing is (my view is VERY nice, other half not quite so sure!) we should seriously explore the option of inland boating. My first question, bearing in mind that we live in West Sussex and won't be moving far from here is where can we go to look at some boats up for sale to get an idea of what to expect. Our only experience of inland waterways is a week on the Thames in the summer of '76 (wow, what fun that was) and we feel that a week on a narrowboat might be a good idea? I'm on A/L this week ('till the 16th Feb) and don't mind travelling for a couple of hours by car, but would like to visit somewhere that has a few for sale to see some variety. We have had a mobo, a yacht an dnow back to a mobo for the next 4-5 years, so not complete novices. Ta in advance, Ian and Julia.

I think the closest to you geographically would be Virginia Currer Marine which is based at High Line Yachting (no yachts anywhere) in Iver on the Slough Arm of the Grand Union Canal. I'm not sure what they have there at the moment but they have a website. Also if your going for just a look you'll have to do a certain amount of pretending you're a serious buyer.

As someone else has suggested, if you go to Whilton Marina In Northamptonshire, you won't have to pretend you're serious. You can just rock up, ask for a load of keys and go and browse the boats at your own leisure. If you go to Whilton there are loads of brokerages in the area so you could make a day of It and perhaps have lunch at the Gongoozlers Rest at Braunston. If you do get up there, make sure you visit Rugby Boats. The boss man there is a member of this forum and the brokerage is well respected, along with ABNB.

lf you decide to go to Virginia Currer at Iver, to make it worth your while you could also go to Harefield Marina and Willow Tree Marina, both within about 30 mins of Iver and have some boats on brokerage.

Hi everyone

Our names are Sue and Terry

This is our second attempt at boating, first time we were to scared to leave a 16 and 17 year old alone and they wouldn't come away with us so our boat was sold.

That was 9 years ago and now we are free!

We have just transferred the funds over this morning so should be the proud owners of our new boat by the weekend.

This website has been invaluable during our search for a boat and helped us with all sorts decisions like length, engine, type of stern.

Thanks to you all.

Hi everyone

Our names are Sue and Terry

This is our second attempt at boating, first time we were to scared to leave a 16 and 17 year old alone and they wouldn't come away with us so our boat was sold.

That was 9 years ago and now we are free!

We have just transferred the funds over this morning so should be the proud owners of our new boat by the weekend.

This website has been invaluable during our search for a boat and helped us with all sorts decisions like length, engine, type of stern.

Thanks to you all.

Hi Sue & Terry

Welcome to the forum, an exciting time for you!

Hope you have many years of safe and happy boating.

Chop & Glenda

Helloo! I am an absolutely brand-spanking-new member. Have decided to purchase a residential mooring on the Caledonian Canal and would be very grateful of any advice - or to hear anyone's experiences. Am looking to purchase a boat now of course and, as narrowboats are not allowed I am looking at river cruisers. I have seen a number of broads-cruiser style vessels and wondered if these would be appropriate for use up north?!

Have been thoroughly enjoying trawling the forums on here - much invaluable advice :D

I think the closest to you geographically would be Virginia Currer Marine which is based at High Line Yachting (no yachts anywhere) in Iver on the Slough Arm of the Grand Union Canal. I'm not sure what they have there at the moment but they have a website. Also if your going for just a look you'll have to do a certain amount of pretending you're a serious buyer.

As someone else has suggested, if you go to Whilton Marina In Northamptonshire, you won't have to pretend you're serious. You can just rock up, ask for a load of keys and go and browse the boats at your own leisure. If you go to Whilton there are loads of brokerages in the area so you could make a day of It and perhaps have lunch at the Gongoozlers Rest at Braunston. If you do get up there, make sure you visit Rugby Boats. The boss man there is a member of this forum and the brokerage is well respected, along with ABNB.

lf you decide to go to Virginia Currer at Iver, to make it worth your while you could also go to Harefield Marina and Willow Tree Marina, both within about 30 mins of Iver and have some boats on brokerage.

Vc marine quite often advertise boats for sale on the Eastern Kennet and Avon Canal which normally indicates Newbury. Thought I would add that as it's about an hour and a bit from West Sussex. Edited by Nightwatch

Hello! My name is Hannah. The name Adelka comes from the 29ft sail boat that my partner and I have lived on for 1.5 years in London. We had quite an adventure sailing it from Cork to London and learning to live aboard, but we're moving onto something more substantial. We've just had an offer accepted on a lovely 57ft Colecraft. Very pleased! We'll have a mooring in London in a few months but look forward to cruising a lot.

See y'all around on the cut :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Canal World!

My name is Richard and my better half (and fiancée to boot) is Paula. Together we are steadily navigating our way toward a life on the cut. I've already been harrassing the CRT for data and trying to get them to publicise more mooring rates etc, which they struggled with at first but they did, at least, seem to care and they partially fulfilled my request in the end. We have a few more locks to negotiate before we properly 'tie-up at our mooring' (ie, see yet another teenager off into the big wide world, find a mooring, choose a boat - although we do have her name already!) but with the fantastic breadth of knowledge and information herein (for which we heartily thank you) we have at least got to the stage of being 'afloat' (in our quest) so to speak. The plan is to buy 'soon' (we've been looking and viewing for a few months now) and although the distance from us (south coast) to most of the 'interesting' boats does make it quite difficult we are viewing this as a test of our determination. I forsee a baptism of fire bringing her 'home' but we're up for it I'm certain. Once we have found 'the one' (or rather once she has found us, of course )' then we will have a couple of years to get used to the boat and the lifestyle (and to get the boat 'right') , oh and to convince the teenager (by then 'young woman' hopefully) that living on a sofa bed/dinette-double with next to zero storage space and limited contact with the outside world (from her perspective, not ours) is, indeed, a fantastic idea . Then it's a case of 'show us the sunset'! The moment I am waiting for most of all though, is the look on the other kids (now parents themselves) faces when 'Bank of Mum' forecloses their accounts . 'Priceless' I believe will be the phrase! Really pleased to meet you all and looking forward to participating whenever possible. Stand by for another annoying newbie first post .

Kind Regards

Richard & Paula

Welcome Richard and Paula,

It's good to see that your equipped with a fully working sense of humour (essential), and a nice turn of phrase, (not essential, but most welcome!)

There is, indeed, a considerable amount of information on the forum, and even more experience within its membership.

Don't hesitate to ask questions, but please also have a good sniff round the site - the search function works (although some would disagree) and makes for great catch-up reading.

Welcome Richard and Paula,

It's good to see that your equipped with a fully working sense of humour (essential), and a nice turn of phrase, (not essential, but most welcome!)

There is, indeed, a considerable amount of information on the forum, and even more experience within its membership.

Don't hesitate to ask questions, but please also have a good sniff round the site - the search function works (although some would disagree) and makes for great catch-up reading.

Why thank you kind sir. I would search and read even more but earlier today my brain finally exploded and so for now (and until I source a replacement part) I may have to actually ask a question or two I'm afraid! : o)

Hey

I have been on this forum for a while now just browsing. I don't own a boat but my father does joined this forum to help him with things boat related. There has been a lot of useful information that i have come across and passed on to my dad.
My dads boat is a 57ft Narrow boat called Aluco.
Looking forward to spending a few weekends on the boat in the summer :)

Regards

Matthew

Hi to all

I have just bought a 42 foot river cruiser to moor in manchester, looking forward to living afloat but slightly concerned at where exactly im going to put it - bridgewater canal is the dream but didnt realise you needed a mooring to get a licence :/ fingers crossed there will be one available but if not does anyone have any tips?

Thanks in advance and I'm looking forward to potentially meeting some of you on the waters :)

Also just to add it seems like most moorings around here have a waiting list - if i have this mistaken please correct me!

Edited by Spoonyspoon

Hi to all

I have just bought a 42 foot river cruiser to moor in manchester, looking forward to living afloat but slightly concerned at where exactly im going to put it - bridgewater canal is the dream but didnt realise you needed a mooring to get a licence :/ fingers crossed there will be one available but if not does anyone have any tips?

Thanks in advance and I'm looking forward to potentially meeting some of you on the waters smile.png

Also just to add it seems like most moorings around here have a waiting list - if i have this mistaken please correct me!

Hi - and welcome to the forum.

There will be other members along you'll be able to give you specific information about the mooring vacancies around Manchester - - but how far out of the city are you able to consider?

Thank you!

Basically anywhere within manchester and salford - anywhere from leigh to ashton under lyme. Ideally around lymm and altrincham but that obviously depends on moorings (ive heard my size is the most difficult mooring to find). I work in hospitals - mainly wythenshawe so it just has to be within commuting distance of there.

Any other tips for my first liveaboard would be greatly appreciated

The most difficult size narrow width boat to find moorings for is generally a 70 footer, a cruiser your size should not be difficult to find moorings for.

You can sign up for mooring vacancys information from CRT (lots of useful information here http://canalrivertrust.org.uk/boating/mooring ) and there are plenty of private operators along with the Bridgwater canal moorings.