Are you new to boating?? CLICK HERE

Sam

Featured Posts

Hi to all

We are Pat and Stella.

We have just bought narrowboat Tickly Two on the K & A.

Hopefully away for our first solo outing this weekend, feeling a bit nervous.

Lots of jobs to do onboard, but we hope (thinki) we have bought a good boat. Must say the last owner was a lovely chap by the name of Barry (not forgetting his other half, Rose).

Not sure if we will be keeping the name though! clapping.gif

Edited by Plonk

Hi to all

We are Pat and Stella.

Lots of jobs to do onboard, but we hope (thinki) we have bought a good boat. Must say the last owner was a lovely chap by the name of Barry (not forgetting his other half, Rose).

Not sure if we will be keeping the name though! clapping.gif

Hi Pat a man after my own heart!

Looks a lovely boat you have bought I take it it's this one http://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/feature.phtml?id=308785

Very Nice

Ade

Edited by Mendip-Locks

Hi to all

We are Pat and Stella.

Not sure if we will be keeping the name though! :clapping:

Hi, hope you enjoy your new life. As for name changing think its more of a sea faring superstition but I believe its supposed to be bad luck if you change the boat name whilst its in the water. There were a couple of tradegies in the second world war that bought the superstition to bear. Saying that it probably started years before that which I'm sure members on here will correct me on. :-). Unfortunately I'm one of those nutcases who salute single magpies etc etc etc :-) Not trying to pass my neurotic nature on to you though so once again good luck and enjoy

To say I'm disappointed is an understatement. I was supposed to be picking up the new boat tomorrow and cruising in her for the first time. She was getting put back in the water yesterday after her re-paint but unfortunately the crane broke down. So me and 2 other new boat owners have been left high and dry (literally) and have had all our bank holiday weekend plans well and truly scuppered. The yard can't get another crane in until next Thursday.

I know it's not the yard's fault. These things happen. But I'm still extremely disappointed. Oh well. Here's to next Saturday then. To those of you lucky enough to already be on the water, enjoy your weekend.

Hi all,

How wonderful the boating community is. Loving this website and the fabulous people I've met over the past few weeks.

I'm new to boating. It was always a dream of mine, re-inspired by a friend about 6 months ago and now I've chosen to liveaboard.

Soooooo glad there are so many other novices about and we have this amazing community to join.

Still looking for my boat. My house is sold so I have to get a move on! Just off now to meet another helpful boater!

All advice not only welcome but also necessary!

Tania

My name is Mark and I'm about to buy my first boat !

Hi mark, congratulations, exciting times!

What sort of boat?

Hi all,

How wonderful the boating community is. Loving this website and the fabulous people I've met over the past few weeks.

I'm new to boating. It was always a dream of mine, re-inspired by a friend about 6 months ago and now I've chosen to liveaboard.

Soooooo glad there are so many other novices about and we have this amazing community to join.

Still looking for my boat. My house is sold so I have to get a move on! Just off now to meet another helpful boater!

All advice not only welcome but also necessary!

Tania

Good luck with your boat search, hope you find a nice boat soon cheers.gif

To say I'm disappointed is an understatement. I was supposed to be picking up the new boat tomorrow and cruising in her for the first time. She was getting put back in the water yesterday after her re-paint but unfortunately the crane broke down. So me and 2 other new boat owners have been left high and dry (literally) and have had all our bank holiday weekend plans well and truly scuppered. The yard can't get another crane in until next Thursday.

I know it's not the yard's fault. These things happen. But I'm still extremely disappointed. Oh well. Here's to next Saturday then. To those of you lucky enough to already be on the water, enjoy your weekend.

We hope it gets sorted soon and you get o enjoy safe and happy boating cheers.gif

WOW, what a fantastic bunch you all are! I've been reading through all your helpful and friendly advice. The intention was to have a quick peep and then move on with my research, 4 hours later I'm still here and have become a member!

My partner and I are in the middle of selling our house and looking to buy a widebeam (60x12ft) canal boat as a liveaboard. We have become fed up being tied down to a house, heading for bankruptcy and not being able to afford some freedom despite a relatively good business.. So here we are, absolutely petrified and excited at the same time. I'm sure I will have numerous questions soon to post and I will be thankful of any support!!

Bikervet clapping.gif

WOW, what a fantastic bunch you all are! I've been reading through all your helpful and friendly advice. The intention was to have a quick peep and then move on with my research, 4 hours later I'm still here and have become a member!

My partner and I are in the middle of selling our house and looking to buy a widebeam (60x12ft) canal boat as a liveaboard. We have become fed up being tied down to a house, heading for bankruptcy and not being able to afford some freedom despite a relatively good business.. So here we are, absolutely petrified and excited at the same time. I'm sure I will have numerous questions soon to post and I will be thankful of any support!!

Bikervet clapping.gif

Hi Bikervet,

Hubby and I have just recently bought our first boat, a 58 x 10.10 widebeam. We are loving it, There is just the two of us and our cat, very spacious (well it is now that I've rearranged the furniture 3 times getting it the way I want it)

We are currently moored in a marina, with the intention of becoming cc'ers as soon as we get the finishing touches to how we want her....solar power installed, electric bike repaired, washed, waxed and polished then we're off :)

Please don't hesitate to ask any questions, there is a wealth of friendly knowledgeable people here who are more than willing to give you their opinions & suggestions. The biggest problem is rarely do you get a consensus of answers and you then need to figure out which advice to follow.

To help with that a little.....the following forum members have widebeams, who know what they are talking about in relation to WB questions.....there are others, but these are the ones I know off the top of my head.....

Blackrose

Paul newlife 4 2

Julynian

Blackrose

All the best and happy hunting cheers.gifboat.gif

Hi Grace and Favour and Bettie Boo,

Thank you for the warm welcome! clapping.gif

Well that is the plan, once I get my head around the VAT tax stuff associated with buying a boat - this will be a question I'll post in the next few moments! I'm hoping the widebeam crew on here will be able to help or anyone who knows about HMRC when it comes to canal boats. It'll be good to know where I stand before I approach a seller/supplier!

The username Bikervet comes from me being a veterinary surgeon and I ride motorbikes....well, I sold my last bike and have taken a break from the veterinary career for the time being, more to focus on the new online training business with my partner (but still remain registered to legally treat my kids - 2 dogs and 2 cats, to offer protected help and advice to any friends and family with their own pets and give emergency treatment to any animals that may need it).

With regards to our business, well we run the business from home, making appointments and contact via social media and mobile phones and also offer online training. We then travel (by car or boat) all over the country for any bookings made for any face to face work so we don't really need a permanent residential mooring, but again, that will really depend on any advice I get back from all you guys. Will just go and check which is the best forum to post the appropriate question and will likely title it 'Widebeam HMRC advice needed!!!'.

Great to be on here.

Kind regards

Bikervet

Hi Bikervet,

Hubby and I have just recently bought our first boat, a 58 x 10.10 widebeam. We are loving it, There is just the two of us and our cat, very spacious (well it is now that I've rearranged the furniture 3 times getting it the way I want it)

We are currently moored in a marina, with the intention of becoming cc'ers as soon as we get the finishing touches to how we want her....solar power installed, electric bike repaired, washed, waxed and polished then we're off smile.png

Please don't hesitate to ask any questions, there is a wealth of friendly knowledgeable people here who are more than willing to give you their opinions & suggestions. The biggest problem is rarely do you get a consensus of answers and you then need to figure out which advice to follow.

To help with that a little.....the following forum members have widebeams, who know what they are talking about in relation to WB questions.....there are others, but these are the ones I know off the top of my head.....

Blackrose

Paul newlife 4 2

Julynian

Blackrose

All the best and happy hunting cheers.gifboat.gif

How did your cat adapt to being on the widebeam???

Just though I'd say hello. Considering selling the house and buying a narrowboat to live aboard. Booked a weeks holiday with Hoseasons (Calcutt) boats to coincide with Crick boat show 2015. I intend to retire at 55 and live off my Navy pension. My wife is able to get a lump sum and small pension at 60 from Royal mail. Reading lots and watching loads of videos. Thought about a 2nd hand boat but see that you can get a new 57ft fitted out from Aintree boats for £70k. Would you buy a new boat or look for a nearly new?

Hi Bigredbus.

Welcome to the forum.

In our case, we looked at both 2nd hand and new boats. We decided on a new boat purely because the one 2nd hand boat we really liked had been sold (as it turns out it fell through but the boat is now owned by another forum member) and we were offered a build slot by Nottingham Boat Sales.

The obvious advantage of a new boat is that you decided the layout, internal fittings, colour etc. The disadvantage is that you have to wait for it. As you appear to have a bit of time that probably isn't a disadvantage, but timing it with the house sale may be difficult.

I decided not to wait for retirement, buy the boat and use it for weekends and holidays until I retire. Gets use to the environment and hoepfully learn a few tricks.

What ever you decide I am sure you will enjoy it and find it as relaxing as we do.

Cheers

Kevin

The important issue is the list of must haves you want on your boat. Before you have one built, you will need that anyway. Then look for fairly new used boats that meet that criteria, then it comes down to price. Remember, you will obviously pay less so it will give you budget to make some improvements and still be under the price of a new one. Important points are when was it Blacked, what is the engine service history and state and the Paintwork. It can always be repainted to the colours you want.

As mentioned before time is on your side so look around. Even new builds will vary in price.

John

Also fixed price new boats reflect their standard offering. You have to be sure the build meets your spec or you have funds to improve on it. We bought second hand and I have spent circa £20k improving it, admittedly the bought was in need of tlc so the additional cost is no surprise.

Got a good idea of what in want but my wife isn't sure. We have plenty of time to sort it out. If we sell the house we can rent for a few months of necessary.

Q. Anybody got ax washing machine on their boat. Any problems or tips. Is it a good idea?

Q. Like wise a small bath.

Kevin

Got a good idea of what in want but my wife isn't sure. We have plenty of time to sort it out. If we sell the house we can rent for a few months of necessary.

Q. Anybody got ax washing machine on their boat. Any problems or tips. Is it a good idea?

Q. Like wise a small bath.

Kevin

You'll find that many liveaboards have a washing machine - - although if it's a recent/new machine - you'll find that the electronics on them require a pure sine inverter (of at least 2.5Kw - preferably 3Kw) to run them, and the vast majority/(all?) now only have a cold water feed, so your power supply needs to be fairly beefy to cope with it. (Easier if you are able to use a shore supply/generator)

baths are a compromise, remember they use more water and take more room than a shower. When I laid out our boat I was single, now SWMBO moans a lot about lack of a bath. Make sure you both agree !!!!!help.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Hello. Couple here, about to pick up our first boat (Smoking Badger) from Whilton Marina this weekend, before moving down the Oxford Canal to Enslow Wharf. Shout if you see us :) (we offer our apologies in advance for smudging your paintwork).

I am a relative newbie, I've stayed on my partners narrow boat many times and know the basics but am now considering buying my own boat and haven't a clue where to start :s

Hello and welcome.

Starting point?

I would suggest you get hold of recent back copies of canal magazines, look at the adverts and on line, find a brokerige / marina near where you live and go and mooch round boats for sale.

Ask away on this forum, if you are absolutely "green" where boats are concerned many here will give you pointers and possibly visit boats with you.

Hire a boat in all seasons if possible, to see whether you will like the life style.

Look at more boats - we spent about 18 months looking at boats before we purchased, to get the feel of the market, what you get for your money and what size boat would suit us.

Dominic's site gives some good pointers:

http://rugbyboats.co.uk/

Good hunting.

Edited by Ray T

Hi everyone.

Dean and Julie here. We are new to boating and very soon we hope to have our boat, so joining this forum certainly makes sense. We both love the outdoors and countryside so what could be better than slowly meandering along a canal watching the world go by.