Are you new to boating?? CLICK HERE

Sam

Featured Posts

Hello everyone

I'm new to boating but have always wanted to spend some time living on a boat. I was planning to move abroad but life's thrown me a curveball and I've ended up taking a job in the UK for a couple years. Thinking now's my chance to live aboard before going abroad. I have a friend who's showing the ropes but really hope to find some good advice on this forum. Looks like a great community here!

D&M

Hi ya & Welcome D&M.

So have you got a boat or are you looking ?. There are a few NBs on the for sale board if your interested, One just a week or so ago !.

Either way it's exiting times ahead for you.

What area are you going to be in ?.

Don't be shy, join in, and Enjoy.

Catch you on the Boards.

Hi I'm Andy, New to boating and I'm sure like all of you find for a answer I get leads to three new questions, I am on the cusp (today) of trying to buy a narrowboat big question at moment is will a 57ft be able to get around all the waterways in england help because me and the internet sent mix well, even to write this took 30min :)

Thanks for help

Hi I'm Andy, New to boating and I'm sure like all of you find for a answer I get leads to three new questions, I am on the cusp (today) of trying to buy a narrowboat big question at moment is will a 57ft be able to get around all the waterways in england help because me and the internet sent mix well, even to write this took 30min smile.png

Thanks for help

Welcome to CWDF, andypt.

To answer your question - yes, a 57' narrowboat will get you round the vast majority of waterways in the UK.

Depending upon how much boating you've done previously, you'll be aware that there's loads to learn, but take things steady, remember - this is boating - not rally driving! ;). One of the very best lessons I learned early on was to go more slowly than I thought I should!

Don't hesitate to ask questions, and research, research, research.

Hi ya Andy,

And welcome to the Forum.

Don't worry, you will soon get the hang of this new fangled interweb thingymajig,

Don't be afraid to ask for information, There are Truly some VERY knowledgeable people on here about most things Boaty, so dive in & explore away.

Catch you later.

Edited by Paul's Nulife4-2

Hi folks, another newbie here.

After several canal and river holidays over the last few years, I finally took the plunge and bought my own boat. Scylla is a 10 year old 58ft semi-trad. We love it already, and thanks to lots of advice picked up as a guest on this forum, it helped to make the purchase an easier decision.

I have lots to learn, but I have been so taken by the willingness of everybody, both here and on the canal, to impart their knowledge and their patience with newbies like me. Thanks to all those who have helped me so far, whether knowingly or not.

• Greenie 1

Hiya Rob L, welcome aboard and if you still have any unanswered questions just fire away. Now just get on and enjoy your boat.

Phil (brushes off Donut crumbs)

Donuts? you couldn't have managed to get to the shops already! surely you don't mean that one survived from yesterday? rolleyes.gif

Hiya Rob L, welcome

Hi Rob L, you will have noticed that humour abounds here, in jokes which you will pick up on and no doubt engage with, Wizard Wheezes, plus plenty of Banter, you will soon get to grips with it all as you learn about the various forum members and get to know us. Sadly on occasion a Newbie fails in the humour stakes and flounces off but I'm sure you will be OK

Phil (off for more Donuts)

Hi All,

We are new to this and can't wait to get started, our boat is being delivered to Cathedral Marina Ely at the beginning of August, we have a Princess Pilgrim 25 with a petrol inboard Volvo Penta and a stern drive.

I can see there is a load of things i need to get my head around so i can maintain it myself so i'm looking forward to digging through this forum.

Anyone here who is moored at Ely, come say Hi after Aug 4th....

Mark

Hi,

I'm the bearded one in a small family (husband, wife, daughter & dog) who are looking at buying their first narrowboat, having a reasonable sum saved. We've tried a hire cruise (four counties ring plus an extension to Burton on Trent) and have found a suitable marina. Now we "just" have to find the right boat. I've been doing so much reading lately that my brain hurts...

Cheers

Rich

Hi,

I'm the bearded one in a small family (husband, wife, daughter & dog) who are looking at buying their first narrowboat, having a reasonable sum saved. We've tried a hire cruise (four counties ring plus an extension to Burton on Trent) and have found a suitable marina. Now we "just" have to find the right boat. I've been doing so much reading lately that my brain hurts...

Cheers

Rich

Welcome to the forum, you'll find a great deal of knowledge and advice here, (and an even greater number of opinions! ;) )

I wonder, looking at your list of family members, if we have our very first bearded Collie as a member? ( :) )

I wonder, looking at your list of family members, if we have our very first bearded Collie as a member? ( smile.png )

Nah, he's a working cocker, and has all the dignity you would expect from a pedigree dog.

Reg_zps19c18d07.jpg

Hi all,

I am new to boating, I live aboard a 60ft Crusier stern Narrow boat on the River Severn near Worcester. I have done for the last 7 months and have only just started taking trips having had various problems to deal with. My boat keeps overheating and there is always a lot of pressure in the small expansion tank. I have had some tests done on the engine and it doesnt seem to be anything major like the head. I have a 1.8 BMC engine with skin tank any ideas folks - Dave

Hi all,

I am new to boating, I live aboard a 60ft Crusier stern Narrow boat on the River Severn near Worcester. I have done for the last 7 months and have only just started taking trips having had various problems to deal with. My boat keeps overheating and there is always a lot of pressure in the small expansion tank. I have had some tests done on the engine and it doesnt seem to be anything major like the head. I have a 1.8 BMC engine with skin tank any ideas folks - Dave

Hi Dave, welcome to the forums!

Is the cooling water circulating?