Are you new to boating?? CLICK HERE

Sam

Featured Posts

Hi,

We thought we'd better introduce ourselves and have a good read round before we start asking all the traditional newbie questions so here goes.

We're Alex and Stef, both in our forties and having a bit of a mid-life crisis, and Kez who's 16 going on 25 and Jazzie the dog and Biz-biz the cat.

Both Stef and I have longed for a boat since we were teenagers, she did something about it and spent some time on boats in her 20's, I just dreamed.

Suddenly we're in the position to fulfil those dreams so we're going for it, totally the wrong way but what the heck, the deposit's paid and the plans are being drawn up. She'll be a 66'x12' boat with a wheelhouse and an aft cabin (but not a Dutch barge) and a lift (did we mention Stef uses a wheelchair?).

Have we spent time on boats recently? No. Did we spend weeks visiting different boat-builders? No. Do we want to stay in London? Yes, we've no choice (see teenager). Will we make mistakes? Almost certainly.

So hello all.

Hi,

We thought we'd better introduce ourselves and have a good read round before we start asking all the traditional newbie questions so here goes.

We're Alex and Stef, both in our forties and having a bit of a mid-life crisis, and Kez who's 16 going on 25 and Jazzie the dog and Biz-biz the cat.

Both Stef and I have longed for a boat since we were teenagers, she did something about it and spent some time on boats in her 20's, I just dreamed.

Suddenly we're in the position to fulfil those dreams so we're going for it, totally the wrong way but what the heck, the deposit's paid and the plans are being drawn up. She'll be a 66'x12' boat with a wheelhouse and an aft cabin (but not a Dutch barge) and a lift (did we mention Stef uses a wheelchair?).

Have we spent time on boats recently? No. Did we spend weeks visiting different boat-builders? No. Do we want to stay in London? Yes, we've no choice (see teenager). Will we make mistakes? Almost certainly.

So hello all.

Welcome to the mad, mad world

You may well find out that 'going at it like a bull in a china shop' will work out for you - I hope it does.

Just one word of advice - start hunting for a mooring NOW, if you find one pay for it from today - you may not find one when the boat is ready, and being a 'long fatty' your choices will be limited.

Hi,

So hello all.

Good for you! Hope it all works out for you.

Welcome to the mad, mad world

You may well find out that 'going at it like a bull in a china shop' will work out for you - I hope it does.

Just one word of advice - start hunting for a mooring NOW, if you find one pay for it from today - you may not find one when the boat is ready, and being a 'long fatty' your choices will be limited.

Welcome to the Forum, and the delightful world of boating.

As Alan has said - - it would be advisable to sort your mooring out PDQ!

Hi,

So hello all.

Wow, you're really jumping into this head first! It all sounds so exciting. Good luck with everythingsmile.png

To be honest the list of requirements caused by my wife's disability and the fact that we'd seen an almost right equipped boat and spoken to her owners did mean we ended up with a very short shortlist of builders, who have so far been great.

And moorings? Having read endless horror stories of London's overcrowding I got on Google Earth and tracked my way along the Paddington Arm noting down collections of boats. Then it was off on the motorbike for a game of ask the owners, and we've turned up a perfect mooring.

Now we just need a boat to float on it.

And moorings? Having read endless horror stories of London's overcrowding I got on Google Earth and tracked my way along the Paddington Arm noting down collections of boats. Then it was off on the motorbike for a game of ask the owners, and we've turned up a perfect mooring.

Now we just need a boat to float on it.

What a damn fine idea!!!! :-)

Welcome!

Sas :-)

Hi all!

Just wanted to introduce ourselves and say hello. We're currently looking for our first boat and are determined to make the move out of expensive rented accomodation (a cramped room!) and into our own space. I'm 27 now and can't see myself ever being able to own a house, plus it has always been a long term dream to live on a boat.

I do like tinkering with things and doing DIY so am looking forward to learning new skills and have already learnt so much from this site so thanks to everybody. I grew up in a little village in the countryside with no central heating and only a wood burning stove to keep us warm. I remember many winter mornings waking up and being able to see my own breath so am looking forward to the challenge of winter as well as hopefully being able to enjoy the end of summer on board as well.

We're both looking forward to the adventure! - best to everyone else as well.

Joel and Sharene

Hi J & S and welcome, one thing I can tell you is that in winter on a NB you will not wake up to see your own breath, I think I speak for the majority when I say you may well find yourself opening doors or windows because one thing narrow boats aren't is cold.

Phil

Paul, fresh supplies on their way.

Hi Justmeuk. Welcome! You will find all you need to know on here. There are a number of forum members who live aboard with their children so yes its doable. To gain an insight to the living aboard with children I would suggest you have a read of the 3 books by Marie Brown, these 3 books will give you a warts and all insight into the life so you can be prepared for what is to come. I hope you love boating and the lifestyle because though in the warm glow of summer its easy to don rose tinted specs, however in winter its not all beer and skittles so do your research and ask as many questions as you can.

Phil