Are you new to boating?? CLICK HERE

Sam

Featured Posts

Have friends that live aboard and have just purchased 'lovely lady' a 56' cruiser stern narrowboat. which is my new home!

just finished re-fit today and moving on tomorrow- v excited! :-)

Hi Mark, hope all goes really well for you tomorrow (sure it will) welcome and dont be a stranger, any questions just fire away

Phil

Have friends that live aboard and have just purchased 'lovely lady' a 56' cruiser stern narrowboat. which is my new home!

just finished re-fit today and moving on tomorrow- v excited! :-)

Hi Mark Lee greetings and congratulations on your new home I hope you will enjoy it for many years!

Hi all. My first post so be gentle lol.. I've been thinking about a live aboard for me and my famiy for some time now.

Gentle mode engaged, welcome aboard to you and your brood. There are quite a few people raising families on boats so you wouldn't be alone. The secret of success is to throw away any rose tinted specs you may have, do plenty of research and do ask shed loads of questions, as my mate Paul once said "the only silly question is the un-asked one"

Phil

OK here goes the first of many stupid questions I'm going be asking over the coming months , we want to cruse all if not most of the waterways what will be the Max length boat I need to be looking at thank you in advance

OK here goes the first of many stupid questions I'm going be asking over the coming months , we want to cruse all if not most of the waterways what will be the Max length boat I need to be looking at thank you in advance

57ft is reckoned to be the "go anywhere" length but others will be along to help out soon. Just a point to get max coverage you should make a fresh thread and post your questions there on general boating would be best as not too many people read new to boating thread.

Phil

Edited by Phil Ambrose

Hi; just bought a widebeam 42 by 8 made by Lombon Hull. Needs fitting out and should be arriving at the house in the next week. Tracy is already deciding on curtain colours but at present its not even insulated! New engine in, windows in, rest a shell. Will be using the boat in Ireland on the Royal canal and further afield on holidays. Always loved canals, and have canoed the Royal (7 days canoeing and only one boat moving, this was in August). Compared to the UK canals the Irish ones are empty, but with little infrastructure.

Will post pictures when I have them and will be looking for help every step of the way!

Andrew

The boat is still on the lorry trailer it was delivered on from the uk seven years ago. It's just going to fit in the drive so I can do the fit out here before putting it in the water, neighbours will have to put up with a lot of banging....! Nearest water is 20 minutes away at the Hill of Down, lovely spot and intended home for the completed boat. A

Hi Kev, nice choice of boat, don't see too many where I am, in fact can only think of one. To save yourself from getting frustrated why not widen your parameters a bit?

Phil

hello phil this is a boat i have found near where i live

ive found a few split cabins i like but they are all miles away from me

i allso like the viking 28 but they are a bit out my price range

Good morning im new to boating and this forum my name is kev and i live in derby

im looking at buying a 26 foot Senior Cabin Cruiser with a 8 foot beam

will this be to big to fit through a lot of locks

cheers kev

Hi Kev,

Yes will be to big for any of the narrow canals on the system 6' 10" is the normal beam, I've heard of wider negotiating narrow locks but not 8ft.

Ade