Are you new to boating?? CLICK HERE

Sam

Featured Posts

Hello Julynian, Chop and Glenda...

I'm going for it... its not gonna happen overnight, I am going to really do my homework and also get some steering lessons on the go once the weather settles down. I've even got a got the name in my head that I'm going to have for my boat. I've been speaking to several people now... and most have said.... do it! I'm not feeling doubt any more... but very excited about making the decision. The initial financial outlay is going to be the delay... and I want to learn about maintenance too... so I will be on the lookout for some useful (user friendly) books to study. If I'm going to be on my own I don't want to be a useless 'female' .. I want to know as much as possible :) woop woop.... My only gripe now.. is that I've gotta try not to be so impatient :) :) thanks for the encouragement :)

( I've been trying to figure out how to reply directly next to your comment so that its like a 'conversation' but can't figure out how to do it..... hope you spot this reply to your posts :)

June :)

I'm going for it... its not gonna happen overnight, I am going to really do my homework and also get some steering lessons on the go once the weather settles down. I've even got a got the name in my head that I'm going to have for my boat. I've been speaking to several people now... and most have said.... do it! I'm not feeling doubt any more... but very excited about making the decision. The initial financial outlay is going to be the delay... and I want to learn about maintenance too... so I will be on the lookout for some useful (user friendly) books to study. If I'm going to be on my own I don't want to be a useless 'female' .. I want to know as much as possible smile.png woop woop.... My only gripe now.. is that I've gotta try not to be so impatient smile.pngsmile.png thanks for the encouragement smile.png

( I've been trying to figure out how to reply directly next to your comment so that its like a 'conversation' but can't figure out how to do it..... hope you spot this reply to your posts smile.png

June smile.png

Just to assist your last point, you can reply to an actual post by first looking at the bottom right hand corner of it, and then clicking on the QUOTE button.

Then scroll down to your REPLY box, where you should see the Quoted post you are replying to.

Create your reply below that, then Click POST, and with a bit of luck the initial post and your reply will both shoot through the atmosphere and land on our computers!

(P.S. When quoting posts with pictures, it may be better to delete them from your reply because quite a few members have to pay for their usage on iphones etc)

Just to assist your last point, you can reply to an actual post by first looking at the bottom right hand corner of it, and then clicking on the QUOTE button.

Then scroll down to your REPLY box, where you should see the Quoted post you are replying to.

Create your reply below that, then Click POST, and with a bit of luck the initial post and your reply will both shoot through the atmosphere and land on our computers!

(P.S. When quoting posts with pictures, it may be better to delete them from your reply because quite a few members have to pay for their usage on iphones etc)

Hi Rebotco.... did it work??? :P

I'm going for it... its not gonna happen overnight, I am going to really do my homework and also get some steering lessons on the go once the weather settles down. I've even got a got the name in my head that I'm going to have for my boat. I've been speaking to several people now... and most have said.... do it! I'm not feeling doubt any more... but very excited about making the decision. The initial financial outlay is going to be the delay... and I want to learn about maintenance too... so I will be on the lookout for some useful (user friendly) books to study. If I'm going to be on my own I don't want to be a useless 'female' .. I want to know as much as possible smile.png woop woop.... My only gripe now.. is that I've gotta try not to be so impatient smile.pngsmile.png thanks for the encouragement smile.png

( I've been trying to figure out how to reply directly next to your comment so that its like a 'conversation' but can't figure out how to do it..... hope you spot this reply to your posts smile.png

June smile.png

I think I've sussed how to reply thanks to 'Rebotco' :) I've cut and paste my reply and tried again.....

I'm going for it... its not gonna happen overnight, I am going to really do my homework and also get some steering lessons on the go once the weather settles down. I've even got a got the name in my head that I'm going to have for my boat. I've been speaking to several people now... and most have said.... do it! I'm not feeling doubt any more... but very excited about making the decision. The initial financial outlay is going to be the delay... and I want to learn about maintenance too... so I will be on the lookout for some useful (user friendly) books to study. If I'm going to be on my own I don't want to be a useless 'female' .. I want to know as much as possible woop woop.... My only gripe now.. is that I've gotta try not to be so impatient smile.pngthanks for the encouragement smile.png

June smile.png

Hi June- Trust me a lot of us were useless males at one point. Good luck & remember you do only live once.

Look for a course on maintaining a diesel engine, you will probably surprise yourself. Being willing to learn new things keeps us alive doesn't it? Remember what it was like like being a kid. The wow factor of something new.............

Hi all,

I'm new here and I think I might have found my first narrowboat today - hope it all works out! I'm sure I will bombard you with lots of questions soon!

I am planning on cc'ing in and around London for a bit, but go somewhere quieter as well.

Hi Annie, welcome to the forum! smile.png

Hi all. Julia and Paul here, now living aboard 62ft Nb Tiger Lily at Saul Junction after many years of dreaming and planning. It has taken us years to finally rid ourselves of the house and now loving life again. Professional photographer, mandolinist, runner and birder.

Hi all. Julia and Paul here, now living aboard 62ft Nb Tiger Lily at Saul Junction after many years of dreaming and planning. It has taken us years to finally rid ourselves of the house and now loving life again. Professional photographer, mandolinist, runner and birder.

Hi you two and welcome aboard, nice to hear you have caught up with your dream, make sure you don't let go LOL

Phil

Hey all. I've made a few threads on here already so thought it about time I introduced myself.

I'm Tony just in the process of buying my first boat. And cannot wait. Have a mooring in Nottinghamshire so if your ever in the area. Be sure to pop to beeston marina and say hello. If your nice I may even make a cuppa lol.

Hi June- Trust me a lot of us were useless males at one point. Good luck & remember you do only live once.

Look for a course on maintaining a diesel engine, you will probably surprise yourself. Being willing to learn new things keeps us alive doesn't it? Remember what it was like like being a kid. The wow factor of something new.............

:) will do... and thanks :) :)

Hi June, I am in the process of buying a narrowboat, have the shell ,its being lined out and then I take over--sort of. I have attended x 2 driving courses, one in a wide beam and one with willow wren and then my son gave me a VHS radio course for Christmas and my next plan is the diesel engine course because I see the need to get as much knowledge as I can.

Hi June, I am in the process of buying a narrowboat, have the shell ,its being lined out and then I take over--sort of. I have attended x 2 driving courses, one in a wide beam and one with willow wren and then my son gave me a VHS radio course for Christmas and my next plan is the diesel engine course because I see the need to get as much knowledge as I can.

Hi Patty...... thats great news :) how did you get on with the driving/steering courses? Please let me know how you get on if you find a good diesel engine course that you could recommend :) ... you will be up and running way before me by the sounds of things. You are not that far from me either... (I'm Staffs). This is all sooooo exciting :)

Hi all,

I'm new here and I think I might have found my first narrowboat today - hope it all works out! I'm sure I will bombard you with lots of questions soon!

I am planning on cc'ing in and around London for a bit, but go somewhere quieter as well.

Hi Anniewhere

Welcome to the forum

I'm not sure if you are aware that things are getting more and more difficult and restricted around London, make sure you get an INDEPENDANT survey!

Good luck, hope to see you pootling along soon ;o)

Chop & Glenda

Hi Julia and Paul

Glad to hear that you are finally really living, make s a great change from existing, doesn't it? Safe and happy boating.

Chop & Glenda

Hi. I'm new, don't have a boat yet, but can't wait to get on the water!

Hi John200

Welcome to the forum, hopefully we can assist you in making wise decisions when you are ready to buy cheers.gif

Chop & Glenda

Edited by Chop!

Hello everyone !

We are.. Adam and Bex :)

We bought our boat last May, moved from Bristol to Newbury to 'pick it up'. We finally set off from Newbury in September, but.. sadly.. we got a rope wrapped around the propeller, and knackered the engine - within half an hour. We've been stranded in Newbury, having spent all of our existing cash on various other 'engineering issues'. Anyway, we're full time musicians, we street perform and gig around the UK - it's a sort of an alternative combination of soul/folk in the form of an acoustic duo.. guitar and vocals with accordion.. I blog regularly about our experiences. After everything, I massively look forward to getting on the move, living the real boat life, meeting all of you.. and playing our music wherever we go. If you want to follow the journey, or just even say Hi ! Check it all out online! Furthermore - any tips about how to survive like this.. greatly welcomed and appreciated :) Hope to meet some of you on our travels !

Many thanks, have a fantastic 2014 !

Bex x

www.facebook.com/rebeccacullenmusic

Hello everyone !

We are.. Adam and Bex smile.png

We bought our boat last May, moved from Bristol to Newbury to 'pick it up'. We finally set off from Newbury in September, but.. sadly.. we got a rope wrapped around the propeller, and knackered the engine - within half an hour. We've been stranded in Newbury, having spent all of our existing cash on various other 'engineering issues'. Anyway, we're full time musicians, we street perform and gig around the UK - it's a sort of an alternative combination of soul/folk in the form of an acoustic duo.. guitar and vocals with accordion.. I blog regularly about our experiences. After everything, I massively look forward to getting on the move, living the real boat life, meeting all of you.. and playing our music wherever we go. If you want to follow the journey, or just even say Hi ! Check it all out online! Furthermore - any tips about how to survive like this.. greatly welcomed and appreciated smile.png Hope to meet some of you on our travels !

Many thanks, have a fantastic 2014 !

Bex x

www.facebook.com/rebeccacullenmusic

Hi Bex & Adam

Welcome to the forum.

Don't give up, we had everything possible go wrong when we picked up our boats , but we now have them on a marina and we're sorting all the problems bit by bit, ready to go off and continuously cruise.

Hope you get sorted, I'm surprised that rope around the prop could kill you engine BTW.

Better luck for 2014

Chop & Glenda

Hi Patty...... thats great news smile.png how did you get on with the driving/steering courses? Please let me know how you get on if you find a good diesel engine course that you could recommend smile.png .. you will be up and running way before me by the sounds of things. You are not that far from me either... (I'm Staffs). This is all sooooo exciting smile.png

Hiya June, the wide beam course was in a wide canal and it was great fun, had lots of practical advice from Chrissy on DIY and fit out. The other course very tiring as the locks were so stiff and so much to take in, but good fun. We stopped under a ripe plum tree and acquired sustenance to keep me going. I intend charting all fruit trees on my travels. Viewed my boat to-day, took son number 3, he's impressed. Have radiators, going cooker shopping in a week. Will let you know on engine course. Take care.cloud9.gif

Edited by patty-ann

Lol....... could do with a driving course never mind a diesel servicing course!

Have you tried? Is there a specific problem you are running into or is it just a general 'confidence' thing?

I can come out with you if you like next time I'm up your way.

MtB

Hiya June, the wide beam course was in a wide canal and it was great fun, had lots of practical advice from Chrissy on DIY and fit out. The other course very tiring as the locks were so stiff and so much to take in, but good fun. We stopped under a ripe plum tree and acquired sustenance to keep me going. I intend charting all fruit trees on my travels. Viewed my boat to-day, took son number 3, he's impressed. Have radiators, going cooker shopping in a week. Will let you know on engine course. Take care.cloud9.gif

Hey Patty... you sound like your really enjoying yourself :) You will certainly keep fit working the locks.... I bet you're really looking fwd to getting going. :) Thanks for the update. I'm thinking of hiring a boat in the spring to settle my impatience :) may even be joining heads with someone else eager to get going. Kind of confidence building trip :) Your boat sounds bangarang!!! You must be soooo excited :) :) Can't wait to here more.. sorry for the delayed responce... only just seen your post :P:)

Hey Patty... you sound like your really enjoying yourself smile.png You will certainly keep fit working the locks.... I bet you're really looking fwd to getting going. smile.png Thanks for the update. I'm thinking of hiring a boat in the spring to settle my impatience smile.png may even be joining heads with someone else eager to get going. Kind of confidence building trip smile.png Your boat sounds bangarang!!! You must be soooo excited smile.pngsmile.png Can't wait to here more.. sorry for the delayed responce... only just seen your post tongue.pngsmile.png

P.S. I'm soooooo smiley.. I've had an error message saying I'm using too many emoticons...lol lol

Hi All! biggrin.png

I joined last week so thought I'd come and say hello here.

After years of wanting a liveaboard and researching life on the water I bought my first boat last spring (a cruiser) which me, my partner & even my cats lovecloud9.gif (my youngest cat is now a regular swimmer!clapping.gif) The summer was glorious icecream.gifand spent lounging, reading & getting to know the area better (Sawley, Nottinghamshire).

The winter has been much easier than I expected it to be on a boat. Now I am looking forward to learning to steer my boat so that I can enjoy cruising throughout the spring and summer months this year. I am considering a Helmsmans course and I would be extremely grateful to anyone local who could assist on my first few trips out until I get my bearings. I would be happy to compensate any willing volunteers.

I'm really enjoying the site which is full of useful information, humour and great community spirit.

I'm looking forward to getting to know people on here, learning from all of the experiences of site members & sharing adventures.

Warmest wishes & happy cruising to all!captain.gif biggrin.png

Hi everybody, my wife and I are new to Narrow boating but really excited to have (and share) some of the freedom this lifestyle can deliver. We also realise the confined that go along with the benefits. We have bought a boat and it seems to have all the mod cons, but I have a question regarding Internet access.

We currently live in France and are moving back to the UK and we don't know the best Cellular Provider to go with either for Voice or perhaps more importantly Internet access.

Can anyone recommend the best service provider especially for 3G or 4G dongle (hopefully with a WiFi modem) internet access.

Thank you. John and Brenda