Are you new to boating?? CLICK HERE

Sam

Featured Posts

Hello. Can anyone help me? I have a friend with two young teens and a dog, who need to rent a boat (preferably not a narrow one) to live in. They need to be as near to the children's school as they can be which is in Harefield, Middlesex. They will also be applying for housing benefit to cover rental/ mooring costs. Does anyone know of a boat for rent or of anyone who can help me further? Many thanks, denise

Hello. Can anyone help me? I have a friend with two young teens and a dog, who need to rent a boat (preferably not a narrow one) to live in. They need to be as near to the children's school as they can be which is in Harefield, Middlesex. They will also be applying for housing benefit to cover rental/ mooring costs. Does anyone know of a boat for rent or of anyone who can help me further? Many thanks, denise

If you'd started a new thread on this it MAY have been worth opening some popcorn for. Alas I fear it will remain hidden in this one.

Why don't you start a thread of your own in the 'general boating' section? I'm sure you'll be inundated with advice.

Hi Skid & Roids,

Yes the junctions are signposted. Coming down from Nottingham, the first junction you come to is Trent Lock which is a big junction where the Trent, the Soar, the Trent & Mersey and the Erewash all meet. I'm guessing you'll be going down the soar towards Leicester which is left - simple! If you haven't already, get some guides. I favour the Nicholson's guides, but rival versions are available. That way you can plan ahead properly and keep it handy when cruising so you can check whats around the bend. Some people keep them in poly-pockets or similar on wet days. The guides are like maps excepts with a lot of extra info from which weirs to look out for to which pubs to drink in.

You'll be on rivers for the first bit of the journey so prepare for that. River levels fluctuate with rainfall and are not always navigable when the levels are too high - try to factor that in when working out how long the journey will take. When you do get going you'll find you can go faster on a river because it's wider and deeper so you're not ploughing through mud. Make sure you have an anchor and chain and you know how to use them. Make sure your engine is running well because a break down will lead to you drifting downstream until you meet a weir. This is bad and is the reason for needing an anchor.

I'd advise joining a breakdown and rescue service such as RCR unless your very mechanically minded.

This is a good basic map to be going along with http://www.jim-shead.com/waterways/mwp.php?wpage=Inland-Waterways-of-England.htm

Above all - enjoy it. You'll have a fabulous time. smile.png

Hello MrP

Its good to know there a signs at the junctions, bit of a silly question but I had to ask it just to make sure. Got the maps, got the collins ones, so a big general one, the nottingham, heart of england and the grand union have all been ordered.

Spent the 1st weekend on the boat on dry standing just to go through everything that is new, found a few little niggles and the survey threw up a couple but the boys at notts boats are taking care of everything. We are going up with a couple of friends on the 27th July to have a long weekend in the water and just going to cruise around nottingham to stay local incase we have any teething problems with the boat in the water. Then its the big one, 2 weeks starting the 12th August bringing her back to Uxbridge. Looked into RCR, I am a bit handy with tools as I restore old VW's but still going to get the cover for how much it costs as I have never worked on desiels.

If I am honest we are a little bit worried about the rivers as we have never been on any before, but we will just plough through it. But as you say the biggest thing is to enjoy it, which we will do.

hi Mark & Emma ..... I bought mine from Nottingham and they were brilliant too. I brought her down to Apsley in 8 days in November 2011 so I'd say 2 weeks to Packet Boat should be plenty of time. It's a great way to learn about your boat.

Good luck - I'll keep an eye out for you passing

Kevin

Hi Kevin

the guys at Notts are top blokes. Your near hemel then? I make you right then if you did that in 8 days we should be ok for the 2 weeks.

When we got definate dates I will let you know and give an estimate of when we will be passing, might even stop for a cuppa if we are running on good time. Always nice to actually meet people you chat to in the world of cyber.

What a great freindly web site. Very informative. we move on our boat woodjam after a long build filled with mad ideas a real apartboat.

just a few bits to complete.Then we are off continual cruising around the northwest.

Thanks for all your advice.

Hi Kevin

the guys at Notts are top blokes. Your near hemel then? I make you right then if you did that in 8 days we should be ok for the 2 weeks.

When we got definate dates I will let you know and give an estimate of when we will be passing, might even stop for a cuppa if we are running on good time. Always nice to actually meet people you chat to in the world of cyber

Sounds like a plan smile.png

Hi All,

Thought I'd check in on here. I am moving onto the canals after skippering yachts out there in the deep blue, and I am looking forward to no longer calculating tides, arguing with customs (the canal and river trust folk seem much friendlier), and sleeping at 45 degrees. But I am not being complacent for a moment: These things look like a bugger to deal with in a cross wind...

The boat is Hazel, and she is made of wood, and my name is James. See you out there...

Edited by Greymarauder

Hi all,

I don't have a boat yet, but my partner and I are planning to live aboard for a few years or longer.

We have wanted to do so for a while but up till recently, it wasn't a possibility.

So that being said, we are now looking at making it happen.

So, why am I here? Well, I have sailed before but my partner hasn't, so a few questions if I can?

I have sailed a small craft (20foot), on the canal for a few years as a young man with my partents in Alrewas to Fradley, (trent and mersey), but now I'm much older, and also I am thinking of a much longer craft, basically a 55-60 foot narrow boat. I live in Liverpool now aswell.

Could you maybe offer any thoughts on this? We did wonder about hiring a vessel next spring to get a feel for it. It will be around about two years before we can afford to buy our own boat, but in the meantime, there is a lot to do, to get there, that is why I have started to look into this now.

I didn't have to do any of the mechanics on the engine, or worry about the day to day maintenance, but as I'm pretty handy I can learn to do most of that I think.

I am keen to find out all things that people found out and were possibly a bit suprised by after taking up a life on the canals. I am so looking forward to it, the fact I can sail around the waterways of the UK, for a couple of years is something I have wanted to realise for a long time and its almost here, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have no idea about laws, licences, fees, gas, what fuel is best, how much to run.. etc. All these things I would need to find out so Im pretty clear about the facts.

Thank you. And I'll continue to browse the forum for information but nice to be registering here at long last. :)

Thank you,

Keith & Steve.

Hi All,

Thought I'd check in on here. I am moving onto the canals after skippering yachts out there in the deep blue, and I am looking forward to no longer calculating tides, arguing with customs (the canal and river trust folk seem much friendlier), and sleeping at 45 degrees. But I am not being complacent for a moment: These things look like a bugger to deal with in a cross wind...

The boat is Hazel, and she is made of wood, and my name is James. See you out there...

HI James,

Welcome to the site, I hope you have great fun onboard your boat, Hazel.

Hi all,

I don't have a boat yet, but my partner and I are planning to live aboard for a few years or longer.

We have wanted to do so for a while but up till recently, it wasn't a possibility.

So that being said, we are now looking at making it happen.

So, why am I here? Well, I have sailed before but my partner hasn't, so a few questions if I can?

I have sailed a small craft (20foot), on the canal for a few years as a young man with my partents in Alrewas to Fradley, (trent and mersey), but now I'm much older, and also I am thinking of a much longer craft, basically a 55-60 foot narrow boat. I live in Liverpool now aswell.

Could you maybe offer any thoughts on this? We did wonder about hiring a vessel next spring to get a feel for it. It will be around about two years before we can afford to buy our own boat, but in the meantime, there is a lot to do, to get there, that is why I have started to look into this now.

I didn't have to do any of the mechanics on the engine, or worry about the day to day maintenance, but as I'm pretty handy I can learn to do most of that I think.

I am keen to find out all things that people found out and were possibly a bit suprised by after taking up a life on the canals. I am so looking forward to it, the fact I can sail around the waterways of the UK, for a couple of years is something I have wanted to realise for a long time and its almost here, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have no idea about laws, licences, fees, gas, what fuel is best, how much to run.. etc. All these things I would need to find out so Im pretty clear about the facts.

Thank you. And I'll continue to browse the forum for information but nice to be registering here at long last. smile.png

Thank you,

Keith & Steve.

Hi Keith and Steve,

I hope you have as much fun as I have had in reading the site, which will answer all your questions and if its not been asked, then ask it. You will get some great replies (and probably some nutty ones too) but I have found the site most helpful.

Welcome to the site

Hello everyone

We are Mark and Emma. Im 40 and Emma is 32. We are in the middle of buying our first boat from Nottingham boat sales, James and Findlay are the most polite and friendliest sales people we have ever met (yea I know they are in sales but they are also very genuine, which is very very rare for sales)

The boat is a 1996 trad stern 60foot which has just had a refit by the guys as well so everything is new on the boat. All that has been used from the previous fit has been the solid fuel stove, fridge and cooker. I supopose it would be easier to post the link so you can have a look if you want ......so here it is http://www.notts-boats.co.uk/narrowboat-kathrick.html

We have named the boat "sea the stars" and we have a mooring in Uxbridge at Packet boat marnia. Although I did want to call it "skidmark N emmaroids" but Emma would not go for it.

So our first adventure in her will be getting her from Nottingham to Uxbrdige whihc we are giving our selves 2 weeks to do. Any help or hints on this "little" are appreciated. I have had 4 boating holiday trips but they have all been on the shropshire union canal which is pretty straight forward and I have never been on a river before captain.gif

Anyway thats enough about us. Hi and its nice to meet all of you.

Mark and Emma

Hi,

How are you getting on? Are you on the water yet?

Kim

Hi,

How are you getting on? Are you on the water yet?

Kim

Sorry Kim been away in the camper. The update is....we stayed on her for a weekend in dry dock to sort out any "problems" before the boat went in the water. We are going back on the 27th to spend a weekend in the water but stay close to the Nottingham marina to give the boat its first shake down in the water. Then we got 2 weeks off starting the 12th August to bring the boat home. So its all good at the moment thanks for asking.

Hi folks - we're Wayne (Wazzer) and Sarah (Sazzer) and we're getting seriously interested in jumping aboard at some point. We want to learn a lot about it before taking the plunge if that's okay with yall!

Hi all,

I'm Chris and SWMBO is Jayne. Way back in the mists of time (late 70's) we promised ourselves that we would eventually retire to a narrowboat captain.gif Well although I still have a few years to go before retirement the boat has been purchased and we are embarking on a complete refit.

The boat is afloat and mobile, and our maiden voyage was from Old Windsor on the Thames to West Stockwith basin at the junction of the Chesterfield Canal and the tidal Trent ohmy.png

Slowly finding our way around this site and searching for good ideas / advice to help with the refit.

Loads of good stuff on here and I am sure I will have loads of seemingly daft questions as time goes on but as I tell the grandkids, "if you want to know anything....................ask"

Hi. Offer accepted on a (just under) 58 ft semi trad narrowboat. Eeek! Very excited though. Hired narrowboats for a few years and have been hooked from day 1. Finally got hubby to agree to adventure - dog already convinced. Plan to cruise c3 months of year in 2 or 3 tours of 4 or 6 weeks and an occasional "quick dash" week (but not liveaboard full time). We live in Scotland; not sure where we will keep boat at the moment. Plan to explore where it is now (way down south); and move it in Spring to somewhere further north (possibly Cheshire). But not Scotland ... a) not connected internally B) not connected with English system and B) too fecking cold. Will want to install wood burner stove (never lived without one yet) to supplement/ avoid need for diesel central heating and possibly install washing machine - although loath to lose cupboard! Also need to get cratch covers! Intend to do a helmsman course to reassure the hubby - he's nervous about my "driving". Have I mentioned how excited I am?!?!?

Hi folks - we're Wayne (Wazzer) and Sarah (Sazzer) and we're getting seriously interested in jumping aboard at some point. We want to learn a lot about it before taking the plunge if that's okay with yall!

hello wazzer and sazzer

I am all new to this and people on here have been friendly and helpfull. So welcome aboard and enjoy.

Mark (Skids) and Emma.

Hi all,

I'm Chris and SWMBO is Jayne. Way back in the mists of time (late 70's) we promised ourselves that we would eventually retire to a narrowboat captain.gif Well although I still have a few years to go before retirement the boat has been purchased and we are embarking on a complete refit.

The boat is afloat and mobile, and our maiden voyage was from Old Windsor on the Thames to West Stockwith basin at the junction of the Chesterfield Canal and the tidal Trent ohmy.png

Slowly finding our way around this site and searching for good ideas / advice to help with the refit.

Loads of good stuff on here and I am sure I will have loads of seemingly daft questions as time goes on but as I tell the grandkids, "if you want to know anything....................ask"

Hi Chris and Jayne

...........welcome

Hi. Offer accepted on a (just under) 58 ft semi trad narrowboat. Eeek! Very excited though. Hired narrowboats for a few years and have been hooked from day 1. Finally got hubby to agree to adventure - dog already convinced. Plan to cruise c3 months of year in 2 or 3 tours of 4 or 6 weeks and an occasional "quick dash" week (but not liveaboard full time). We live in Scotland; not sure where we will keep boat at the moment. Plan to explore where it is now (way down south); and move it in Spring to somewhere further north (possibly Cheshire). But not Scotland ... a) not connected internally cool.png not connected with English system and cool.png too fecking cold. Will want to install wood burner stove (never lived without one yet) to supplement/ avoid need for diesel central heating and possibly install washing machine - although loath to lose cupboard! Also need to get cratch covers! Intend to do a helmsman course to reassure the hubby - he's nervous about my "driving". Have I mentioned how excited I am?!?!?

Hello Jan

looks like you are a bit excited there. You are going to be busy by the looks of things

We thought about a washing machine but then decided against it, at the end of the day you are never to far from a laundrette really.

Enjoy

Hi - I have had a lovely read on this thread - we are about to embark on our new life in Macclesfield on Gracie - we should have moved aboard in May ( House selling can be a pain); however, we are about to exchnage contracts - have agreed a price and date to collect Gracie fro Chester and bring herr upto Macclesfield.

Bit about us - I was born in Derby, brought up in New Zealand and have lived in Altrincham for 30 years next to the Bridgewater Canal. Since deciding to live a float, I have discovered that my Great Grandfather Josiah (what a name) Preston was born on a narrowboat in Middlewich and that his father owned a fleet of narrowboats in Middlewich and hope, one day, to move down there on the canal.

I remarried 5 years ago to a Marple Lad, who also grew up next to the Canal and has always wanted to live on a boat - we have a blog "The State of Gracie" and are hoping (when I am not at work, to explore all the canals we haven't seen yet

I am impressed. After being wedged nicely in four locks between Napton and Southam on the Oxford, every single person was still polite, friendly, and helpful. Apologies to anybody who had a slight delay on Monday, and thank you for showing what is still possible of human nature in these modern times. An eventful (canals taste horrible) start to this way of life but a very promising one.

James

Hi STARUKkiwi,

Congratulations, we selling up too so understand what a pain it is. You both sound like you have canal in your blood. I hope you have a great life on Gracie.

best wishes

Kim

Thanks Kim and I like your signature - indeed, that is why we are doing this now - because we would regret it otherwise!

Hello everyone, I was bitten by the boating bug on a family holiday on a 58' NB around 30 years ago, nine of us, best holiday ever, bar none!

We set off from Upton-upon-Severn and went up the Avon to Stratford and back in a week.

Apart from a few rides on my old boss's cruiser based at Sawley, and a week on the Norfolk Broads, that's all the boating we've done.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, after walking a few miles of the Kennet & Avon between Bath and Bradford on Avon a couple of weeks ago we decided to look into buying our own narrowboat, we've already put a deposit on one, hopefully we'll be cc-ing (is that the right term?) in a couple of weeks, subject to survey.

I look forward to joining some of your discussions, you seem like a very helpful, friendly bunch!

Hi. Offer accepted on a (just under) 58 ft semi trad narrowboat. Eeek! Very excited though. Hired narrowboats for a few years and have been hooked from day 1. Finally got hubby to agree to adventure - dog already convinced. Plan to cruise c3 months of year in 2 or 3 tours of 4 or 6 weeks and an occasional "quick dash" week (but not liveaboard full time). We live in Scotland; not sure where we will keep boat at the moment. Plan to explore where it is now (way down south); and move it in Spring to somewhere further north (possibly Cheshire). But not Scotland ... a) not connected internally cool.png not connected with English system and cool.png too fecking cold. Will want to install wood burner stove (never lived without one yet) to supplement/ avoid need for diesel central heating and possibly install washing machine - although loath to lose cupboard! Also need to get cratch covers! Intend to do a helmsman course to reassure the hubby - he's nervous about my "driving". Have I mentioned how excited I am?!?!?

Hi JanB congratulations, exciting times ahead...enjoy :-)