Where's Gibbo?

David Schweizer

Featured Posts

been thinking the same thing all afternoon! :cheers:

I don't understand why, though.

Apart from the gags, which you could post elsewhere, if you couldn't resist the urge, your contributions, imo, are entertaining, useful and when you get yakking on about sound equipment, educational (even though I'm 25 years out of date).

I still don't get the urge to offend.

is this intended to be a forum that all the family, regardless of age, can look at, without having to read inappropriate content?

If the answer is no then I will stop my kids from reading it.

Not really picking on you Carl, but do any of today's yoof really look at this forum? Surely not, how uncool to hang out in a forum populated by ageing grey-beardies with flat caps (and that is just the women!). They are surely more likely to be glued to Facebook so as not to miss the latest "parents are away, come and trash the house" post.

Anyway as with all things, the middle path is appropriate for smutty jokes. Too clean and they are dull, too dirty and they are just not funny. It is just a matter of personal opinion where the threshold lies, but for those of a sensitive disposition there is always the option not to read a thread called Friday Joke on a virtual pub forum. One could perhaps anticipate the likely content.

Not really picking on you Carl, but do any of today's yoof really look at this forum?

Yes, both my sons are boat mad and whilst my youngest prefers the pictures my10 year old takes a great interest in what I'm reading or posting.

They are both oblivious to Facebook.

there is always the option not to read a thread called Friday Joke on a virtual pub forum. One could perhaps anticipate the likely content.

Yes one can anticipate it by reading the rules and feeling secure that the content abides by those rules.

Edited by carlt

'Political correctness gone mad' 'the PC Brigade' 'PC Girlies' I have heard it all before and to be honest, to me it just shows a lack of understanding of the meaning political correctness.

Political correctness -

The avoidance of forms of expression or action that are perceived to exclude, marginalize, or insult certain groups of people. (Thank you wiki)

Is that really that mad? Is it really going to ruin this great nation? Nope, not in my opinion, what will ruin it though are people who use 'political correctness gone mad' as a weak attempt to cover their distasteful or discriminatory words.

Usually the same people get political correctness and health and safety mixed up as well.

• Greenie 1

Usually the same people get political correctness and health and safety mixed up as well.

I know it's been aired on here before, but that is the perfect prompt to this......

(A bit long, but worth it in my view!.....)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGAOCVwLrXo

Yes, both my sons are boat mad and whilst my youngest prefers the pictures my10 year old takes a great interest in what I'm reading or posting.

They are both oblivious to Facebook.

Yes one can anticipate it by reading the rules and feeling secure that the content abides by those rules.

So, do you allow your 10 year old to view the forum unsupervised? If so, how do you know they are not visiting other less "family orientated" sites? If not, surely a joke thread on a Pub forum is fairly risky for a 10 year old and they should be steered away from it? Anyway, chances are they have heard worse in the playground, even though at 10 they probably didn't understand.

Personally I wish pubs were child-free zones, especially when their parents take them there to run amok whilst they exercise phenomenal skill in ignoring the mayhem. The same applies to a virtual pub forum.

We all have our own views about what is and isn't suitable or offensive.

The other day, Lady Muck edited out a swearword on the basis that it's a 'family forum'. I thought that was unnecessary as kids, like it or not, are exposed to such language in so many contexts (and anyway, there are no dirty words, only dirty minds). But it wasn't a big deal.

To my mind, making light of (say) domestic violence is not just offensive (if I were in charge, which I'm not, I wouldn't edit for offensiveness; no one has a right not to be offended), but potentially dangerous, as is making derogatory comments about groups of people. It all helps to build up a picture of a world in which some people count for less than others; a view that needs to be challenged whenever it is expressed whether explicitly or tacitly.

Come on chaps and lasses can we not just keep this on topic. This is going to be closed soon the way it is going.

Martyn

How many other threads are still on topic by page 10? Actually, to my mind, all these posts are very relevant to the topic.

(Unless you take the view that the topic is the whereabouts of Gibbo, in which case it went off by about post 2)

To my mind, making light of (say) domestic violence is not just offensive ... but potentially dangerous, as is making derogatory comments about groups of people. It all helps to build up a picture of a world in which some people count for less than others; a view that needs to be challenged whenever it is expressed whether explicitly or tacitly.

What, even Hudson owners?

So, do you allow your 10 year old to view the forum unsupervised? If so, how do you know they are not visiting other less "family orientated" sites? If not, surely a joke thread on a Pub forum is fairly risky for a 10 year old and they should be steered away from it? Anyway, chances are they have heard worse in the playground, even though at 10 they probably didn't understand.

Personally I wish pubs were child-free zones, especially when their parents take them there to run amok whilst they exercise phenomenal skill in ignoring the mayhem. The same applies to a virtual pub forum.

There are already plenty of adult oriented "pub forums" this is not one of them.

Regardless of your opinion, or mine for that matter, this is a family site and should be suitable for children to look at.

There is no point questioning my opinion because it would seem to be in line with the forum rules.

My computers have parental controls in place with specific sites excluded because, despite supposedly complying with parental control parameters, they don't.

If the rules change here then my kids won't be allowed to view this site, something that can't be good for the future of the waterways.

As I've said before, if you want to read or post material inappropriate for children then do so somewhere where the rules allow such content.

Edited by carlt