Boats are too risky during winter

webdebate

Featured Posts

Do you think using boats is a risk factor to UK canals during winter due to some places where there is dense fog? Please have your say on this and help me finish my course work on this topic.

Many Thanks

WD

Edited by webdebate

Please have your say on this and help me finish my course work on this topic.

Just make up what you like and give it to your tutor.

If the completion of your course is dependent on the random mutterings of members of an internet forum then I'm sure fictitious results won't make a jot of difference.

If this is a serious piece of academic research, however, my contribution is...No, it's not a problem.

• Greenie 1

Do you think using boats is a risk factor to UK canals during winter due to some places where there is dense fog? Please have your say on this and help me finish my course work on this topic.

Many Thanks

WD

I've crossed the Chirk Aqueduct and the Pontcysyllte Aqueduts in fog without any problems.

But agree with the comment that ice around locks would be more of a risk

I've crossed the Chirk Aqueduct and the Pontcysyllte Aqueduts in fog without any problems.

But agree with the comment that ice around locks would be more of a risk

To be fair it's bloody difficult to take a wrong turn on a narrow aqueduct!

I've crossed Pontywotsit cowering in the cabin, listening to the boat grind its way along the iron trough, without any problems.

I had my eyes shut too.

Random mutterings!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You mean you don't all use the Acme Random Post Generator, then?

I would have thought that a (long) narrow aqueduct would be one of the few places on a canal where fog WOULD be a problem! (but easy to reverse, of course)

Edited by Mac of Cygnet

Guest Quo Vadis

Most frogs are dense, but not usually hazardous ... oh sorry misread......

edited to remove the capital F

Edited by Quo Vadis

Many Thanks

WD

No.

Do you think using boats is a risk factor to UK canals

No, the canals are over 200 years old and they have been in constant use throughout the whole time, so there is not any risk to them..

Now there may be a risk to those using the canals but every thing has a risk, getting out of bed is one of the most risky, you could get run over by a bus.

Good luck with your studies.

Edited by bottle

Dear All,

Many thanks for all your replies.

One more question would be to ask about the preference.

Given a choice of various ways of transport, do you prefer to go to work using a canal boat?

Thanks for all your contribution on this. Its interesting to see how people think in so many different ways.

Thanks

WD

The main problem on the Chirk Aqueduct was seeing if anything was coming the other way.

By the time we reached the Ponty it had lifted to just being a slight mist so could see the other end.

The the Chirk Aqueduct we put the tunnel light o and gave a blast on the horn before going onto it

Dear All,

Many thanks for all your replies.

One more question would be to ask about the preference.

Given a choice of various ways of transport, do you prefer to go to work using a canal boat?

Thanks for all your contribution on this. Its interesting to see how people think in so many different ways.

Thanks

WD

Yes I used to travel to work all the time on a canal boat - the problem was that by the time I got there it was time to come home again...

Yes I used to travel to work all the time on a canal boat - the problem was that by the time I got there it was time to come home again...

5hrs from my mooring of choice; 31 mins by London Midland.

Go figure!