Leaving the boat for 2 weeks

Jamesb4uk

Featured Posts

Hi all,

I'm leaving the boat (42ft NB) for 2 weeks Tuesday whilst on holiday & just wondering if I've missed anything - this is the first time in 5 months I've left her for longer than a night...

Will be turning off all non essential 240v & 12v appliances, but leaving shore & 12v on for fridge & bilge pumps.

Turning off the Gas supply.

Setting both fore & aft Bilge pumps to Auto.

I have a small 240v heater on a timer that will kick in for an hour or so every other night to help keep any damp at bay.

Water pump will be off with water drained from taps & water tank stop cock off too.

making sure all mooring lines are OK - I've given my spare keys to another boater to keep an eye on her for me.

Anything else I've forgotten?

James

Hi all,

I'm leaving the boat (42ft NB) for 2 weeks Tuesday whilst on holiday & just wondering if I've missed anything - this is the first time in 5 months I've left her for longer than a night...

Will be turning off all non essential 240v & 12v appliances, but leaving shore & 12v on for fridge & bilge pumps.

I have a small 240v heater on a timer that will kick in for an hour or so every other night to help keep any damp at bay.

Water pump will be off with water drained from taps & water tank stop cock off too.

making sure all mooring lines are OK - I've given my spare keys to another boater to keep an eye on her for me.

James

Have you canceled the milk and the papers.

Firesprite

In the office

Will be turning off all non essential 240v & 12v appliances

That is all of them except the bilge pumps

If the boat is wired correctly then switching off the isolators will do this, it should not switch off the bilge pumps, check before leaving boat..

leaving shore & 12v on for fridge

Empty the fridge, defrost and dry innards, leave door open, only needs about an inch gap.

This may actually increase damp/condensation.

Leave some window/ portholes open for ventilation

Have you fed the cat?

the cat can survive on the spiders! (besides its not mine! lol)

Passport and holiday money.

:)

got those sorted :)

Have you canceled the milk and the papers.

Firesprite

In the office

Can you get those delivered on a waterway?

We just turn off water & gas.

Sue

yep - prob being over cautious tbh - but thought i'd double check with more knowledgeable people :)

That is all of them except the bilge pumps

If the boat is wired correctly then switching off the isolators will do this, it should not switch off the bilge pumps, check before leaving boat..

Empty the fridge, defrost and dry innards, leave door open, only needs about an inch gap.

This may actually increase damp/condensation.

Leave some window/ portholes open for ventilation

all taken in - thanks for the tip on isolators thinking about it yes the pumps will still run if 12v is cut off.

i was actually debating the fridge - might be worth doing that too now - thanks.

hmmm good thinking - might leave the porthole open to help things.

Clean underpants? :)

yep got those too lol

James

• Greenie 1

Hi all,

James

Hi,

I would trun the fridge off, if the trip on your shoreline goes, the fridge will run the batteries down and they will be ruined.

Leo.

Hi all,

Dont forget your land legs!

James

Edited by Burgiesburnin

ps. the main reason for turning the fridge off, emptying and leaving the door open is,

It will stink when you return and be almost impossible to get rid of, the stink that is.

If you don't.;)

Edited by bottle

Hi all,

James

Just in case any burglars or other scum havnt read this, post it on facebook as well............

Can you get those delivered on a waterway?

yep got those too lol

James

Have a word with your local milkman, He welcome the order if its a mooring. This does depends on there being a milk round in your area,

Since moving up to the Fens from the Wey, I not seen any milkman at all in nine years. Your local paper-shop should be able to arrange for papers to be delivered to the boat. Some Supermarkets also deliver.

Firesprite

In the Fens

PS: Don't forget the tickets

Edited by nbfiresprite

Switch all power off, prop fridge door open, lots of windows open on the offside. Ask a neighbour to keep an eye on it.

...... and try and avoid leaving that one perishable item in the fridge that OH often seems to miss before declaring she has fully cleared it! :sick:

Edited by alan_fincher

I have a checklist for leaving the boat, even for a few days, which I do several times a year. Most items have been covered, except the chimney - I cover it to prevent a torrential rainstorm running down into the stove, as the chinaman's hat has been known to blow off. Also check that your automatic bilge pump float switches are working.