Early Birds

nicknorman

Featured Posts

Most laudable, Nick: but many of the people on those boats live in houses beside roads, and would never consider that a car passing at 4a.m. (as long as it wasn't hurtling along at full bore) was being unreasonable or anti-social.

But then again plenty of people live in houses not beside a main road, myself included. And a car passing by does not usually rock the house much!

Anyway, the general consensus seems to be that boating out of "normal" hours is fine. In many ways I am glad about that because since starting boating in the 60s things have changed a lot - eg the 1 click of paddle at a time brigade, slowing down for fishermen, not to mention no sea toilets! (from which was born the whole P.O. Vs Cassette debate) so at least we have not forgotten that the canals are for transport and not a linear housing estate!

Because early morning is the best time for boating. All a bit chilly when you set off then you get that wonderful moment when the sun comes up and the light changes... waiting for locks to fill/empty with only the birds for company... magic.

When boats pass in the night it's lovely.. the dim confusion of waking up quickly cleared up by the realisation that it's just a boat passing and then the magical thought - "oh yes! i live on a boat" as i go back to sleep with a smile on my face.

My advice would be: you wont change other peoples behaviour so why not try and work on your attitude to it. You never know you may end up enjoying your boating more.

Really must agree, get up early dew all over boat cast off other half still a bed,there really is something great about seeing the world wake up around you when you have been up and done a "days work" :rolleyes:

14Skipper

This is a bit of an eye opener,for some reason I'd got it into my head you wern't suppose to move before 7.30 or after dark.I admit I've done both but thought I was being a bit outlaw.I realized after a few boats had woken me up at various times that there didn't seem to be any rules.This summer a "party boat" passed at 1.30 with plenty of noise,have to say I thought they were mad but turned over and went back to sleep,with the lovely thought I was on my boat.Boats passing anytime is lovely so long as it's slow.Incedently my favourite boat noise is the rain on the roof (like now) followed by the crackle of the fire in the stove and the ticking of the clock which reminds me of my Nan and Grandads,when times were simpler.

This is a bit of an eye opener,for some reason I'd got it into my head you wern't suppose to move before 7.30 or after dark.I admit I've done both but thought I was being a bit outlaw.I realized after a few boats had woken me up at various times that there didn't seem to be any rules.This summer a "party boat" passed at 1.30 with plenty of noise,have to say I thought they were mad but turned over and went back to sleep,with the lovely thought I was on my boat.Boats passing anytime is lovely so long as it's slow.Incedently my favourite boat noise is the rain on the roof (like now) followed by the crackle of the fire in the stove and the ticking of the clock which reminds me of my Nan and Grandads,when times were simpler.

I believe that only applies to hire boats,which are mostly only insured to travel during daylight hours. bizzard

Do you ever leave your landing light on at night? :unsure:

Mike

I put a row of nav lights down each side of the boat.....

In all reality a boat chugging past at whatever time is alright by me, glad I live on a busy bit because I see more boats. We had a huge trip boat come down and wind with its nose up against our bedroom window. Charlotte and I opened the curtains and waved to the 20 or so people sat on the front. It kind of felt like the circus arrived in town!

I stil hate those (badly fitted) heaters though!

What annoys me more than anything is that the 7'oclock brigade are usually moored up before lunch - often in the most prime spots, and only set off at that time to be able to manage just that.

Mike

Oops sorry - sort of guilty as charged! When we do have an early start (which is fairly rare) it's to get through a set of locks before the crowds converge (Atherstone this summer was the prime example - we set off at 7am and were through by 9.30am). When we have an early start we usually moor up at lunch time.

We only do long days when we have to be somewhere by a certain date, which fortunately doesn't happen very often :)

Oops sorry - sort of guilty as charged! When we do have an early start (which is fairly rare) it's to get through a set of locks before the crowds converge (Atherstone this summer was the prime example - we set off at 7am and were through by 9.30am). When we have an early start we usually moor up at lunch time.

We only do long days when we have to be somewhere by a certain date, which fortunately doesn't happen very often :)

When I get my act together I reckon the best way to travel would be to start really early in the countryside, tie up in town in the middle of the day for shopping etc, then move on again at teatime to find a rural spot again. My main motivation is that I'm starting to get a bit fed up with people steering into hedges when they see me coming the other way. You must get that too Mike? Seems this would give the best of all possible worlds and also not be hogging a prime mooring spot at other people's tying up time.

I believe that only applies to hire boats,which are mostly only insured to travel during daylight hours. bizzard

Thats what the boatyards tell the hirers to discourage then from doing it. But of course they are insured for night boating. The last thing the hire company would want is an insurer refusing to pay out when a hirer has disregarded the instructions and boated at night and caused some damage (or worse).

David

Thats what the boatyards tell the hirers to discourage then from doing it. But of course they are insured for night boating. The last thing the hire company would want is an insurer refusing to pay out when a hirer has disregarded the instructions and boated at night and caused some damage (or worse).

David

Interesting. We were always led to believe when we were hiring that night cruising was absolutely forbidden for insurance purposes. Nowadays we'd love to do it one day but only have a rather crappy tunnel light so won't be for a while - though on a good moonlit night maybe - hmmm...

Couldn't imagine doing locks at night though - I'm far too clumsy!

Interesting. We were always led to believe when we were hiring that night cruising was absolutely forbidden for insurance purposes. Nowadays we'd love to do it one day but only have a rather crappy tunnel light so won't be for a while - though on a good moonlit night maybe - hmmm...

Couldn't imagine doing locks at night though - I'm far too clumsy!

Unless it is unusually dark, you may find your eyes adjust enough that a light is not required.

Despite the various eyesight problems I currently have, we pushed on into the more or less totally failed light the other night, and I never turned the tunnel light on, (probably to some extent because the switch is in the engine room, and it involes a passage along the gunwales!......). Your eyes do adjust to remarkably low levels of light, (although perhaps you need to hope nobody is doing it coming the other way! :lol:).

We have done locks at night, but not often. We find head torches really help for the lock operators, (and you don't have to worry about looking a twat, because nobody can really see who you are!).

I have to say though that if you are ascending a Grand Union lock with a fall of 9 feet or more, they do seem a whole lot deeper as the bottom gates are closed behind you. Also it can be less than obvious that the paddles are going up! Not sure I'd want to do it often, but worth it once in a while just for the experience.

Unless it is unusually dark, you may find your eyes adjust enough that a light is not required.

Despite the various eyesight problems I currently have, we pushed on into the more or less totally failed light the other night, and I never turned the tunnel light on, (probably to some extent because the switch is in the engine room, and it involes a passage along the gunwales!......). Your eyes do adjust to remarkably low levels of light, (although perhaps you need to hope nobody is doing it coming the other way! :lol:).

We have done locks at night, but not often. We find head torches really help for the lock operators, (and you don't have to worry about looking a twat, because nobody can really see who you are!).

I have to say though that if you are ascending a Grand Union lock with a fall of 9 feet or more, they do seem a whole lot deeper as the bottom gates are closed behind you. Also it can be less than obvious that the paddles are going up! Not sure I'd want to do it often, but worth it once in a while just for the experience.

Yep I can see your logic there Alan - we've never used a torch to navigate the towpath because our eyes quickly adjust as long as there is some moon in the sky. I'm just a bit of a worrier - if I haven't done it before I dream up loads of possible consequences!

One day we will have a night cruise - I really do like the idea.

Yep I can see your logic there Alan - we've never used a torch to navigate the towpath because our eyes quickly adjust as long as there is some moon in the sky. I'm just a bit of a worrier - if I haven't done it before I dream up loads of possible consequences!

One day we will have a night cruise - I really do like the idea.

You'll love it ,but get a wide angle beam headlamp as you need to be seeing just ahead and to the sides,you don't need to see terribly far ahead at 3mph or so. bizzard

No!

(I can only assume you never boat on some of the less popular canals ?)

I have no issue with boats passing through the night at a relaxed pace, and am not necessarily woken by them, I think.

I am far more likely to be woken by randy Canada geese, or swans pecking at the hull, to be honest. The boats are quickly past, some of the wild-life simply will not give up.

(Or the a***hole in Leighton Buzzard on Saturday night who thought it amusing to either bang very hard on, or possibly even kick, Sickle's cabin, and shout "Good Morning" as loud as he could at just before 4.00 am.)

Language, Fincher, language.

My main motivation is that I'm starting to get a bit fed up with people steering into hedges when they see me coming the other way. You must get that too Mike?

:P That sentence made me chuckle.

You may recall that in the past, I made a remark about the awesome sight of the likes of Chertsey approaching and how it must be off-putting to inexperienced boaters. It was only after learning on the forum about the 'Chicken Run' technique of passing an oncoming boat, did I realise how to combat this tiller trembling event.

I must admit though, on the first attempt of taking on the mighty bow of an unladen working boat, I was a little apprehensive. But, now that the technique has been mastered, I take pride in the fact that I can confidently pass one of these classics without the need to change my underwear. :unsure:

Mike

Edited by Doorman

I'm starting to get a bit fed up with people steering into hedges when they see me coming the other way. You must get that too Mike?

Trees, branches, shallows, ledges, you name it (and that was just the run from Retford to Huddlesford!)... I often have to point out hidden branches in the water, but they still seem to hit them! I wouldn't mind, but I usually give them plenty of room, but some don't want to get closer than a boats width! Mind you the worst are those that stop in a place which has even more limited space than had they carried on, and these days I'm always waving people forward. Victoria will not stop for toffee so I need to keep her moving forever forwards...

I had a hire boat crash through the trees as I passed them on the Weaver once, but I think they were trying for the Sanitary Station mooring, and got distracted!

Mike

I used to be of that persuasion; even now the prow of a Town Class approaching through a bridge hole on a blind bend is one of the canal sights which I least like to see! A few years ago, though, I found that the prow of a converted peniche appearing round a bend on the Canal du Midi had a much swifter laxative effect.

We are on the lower bit of the Aire & Calder. The gravel boats start early from Goole. I don't think anyone can sleep in with one of them passing!

The gravellers never woke us up. Think we are used to the boat being rattled around by bigger vessels now so we just sleep through it

What annoys me more than anything is that the 7'oclock brigade are usually moored up before lunch - often in the most prime spots, and only set off at that time to be able to manage just that.

I would mind if they were still going strong 12 hours later mind, as I usually am after an early start...

Well, I do that. I get fed up following boats who slow down to almost stop for every bridge so I tend to start off when I wake up, whcih in summer is about 6 a.m. And then I moor up about lunch time, sit on the back deck with a cup of tea and a book and enjoy the rest of the day. Not sure why you feel that boating should be a chore rather than a pleasure...

I can't see the point of 12 hour days any more, especially if standing on top of a noisy Lister. And the fact that it more or less does assure me of a mooring somewhere near where I want to be is a useful factor - nothing more infuriating than getting to Wheelock at 7 pm and finding you can't get a mooring for another ten miles.