Early Birds

nicknorman

Featured Posts

Why is it that wherever we stop for the night, there always one boat that passes at 7 am to wake us up, then nothing until 8:30 or so. Perhaps we are being stalked, or does everyone find this?

Last week we had a personal record for the earliest boat passing - TWENTY PAST FOUR IN THE MORNING - pitch dark of course. It was going at tickover but passing a lot of moored boats at Fradley. Perhaps some emergency required it, but it must be quite hard to pass lines of boats at that time knowing that every person on every boat you pass will be woken up. Or maybe not!

Is this a record?

Why is it that wherever we stop for the night, there always one boat that passes at 7 am to wake us up, then nothing until 8:30 or so. Perhaps we are being stalked, or does everyone find this?

Last week we had a personal record for the earliest boat passing - TWENTY PAST FOUR IN THE MORNING - pitch dark of course. It was going at tickover but passing a lot of moored boats at Fradley. Perhaps some emergency required it, but it must be quite hard to pass lines of boats at that time knowing that every person on every boat you pass will be woken up. Or maybe not!

Is this a record?

I frequently travel through the night. bizzard.

No!

(I can only assume you never boat on some of the less popular canals ?)

Is this a record?

I have no issue with boats passing through the night at a relaxed pace, and am not necessarily woken by them, I think.

I am far more likely to be woken by randy Canada geese, or swans pecking at the hull, to be honest. The boats are quickly past, some of the wild-life simply will not give up.

(Or the a***hole in Leighton Buzzard on Saturday night who thought it amusing to either bang very hard on, or possibly even kick, Sickle's cabin, and shout "Good Morning" as loud as he could at just before 4.00 am.)

Edited by alan_fincher

Is this a record?

We have driven from Aspley bridge today on the C and H and parked at Stanley Ferry on the Aire and Calder and only passed 5 boats all day. We arrived at Stanley and were the only boat on the 48 hour moorings near the pub and about 2 hours ago another boat pulled in right behind us and parked, no problems there until at 8.30 the pratt started his engine and ran it for 40 minutes and just turned it off :angry: why oh bloody why ? perhaps being a big shiney new boat he has gone the all electric way and needed to boil a bloody kettle for his tea :rolleyes:

Edited by mrsmelly
  • Greenie 1

We have driven from Aspley bridge today on the C and H and parked at Stanley Ferry on the Aire and Calder and only passed 5 boats all day. We arrived at Stanley and were the only boat on the 48 hour moorings near the pub and about 2 hours ago another boat pulled in right behind us and parked, no problems there until at 8.30 the pratt started his engine and ran it for 40 minutes and just turned it off :angry: why oh bloody why ? perhaps being a big shiney new boat he has gone the all electric way and needed to boil a bloody kettle for his tea :rolleyes:

Tell me about it. I'd move,it probably won't be the last time either. bizzard

Your probably right he probably has to turn it on to go for a p__s for a light bulb at 3am :rolleyes:

A similar thing happened to me last Thursday.

I went up to B.Stortford to the sanny and shopping,pulled in behind a boat with engine running.But wasn't bothered as i went shopping,bank ect. Got back ,after about two hours,still running.I like to have my lunch up there before heading back,so pulled my boat back. After about an hour they made off and set the lock against me.I think they had their eye on me as they new the lock was open as no other boat had gone down.Still just one of those things.They weren't running it out of hours but,if they're going to head off why run it at all,as you say electric kettle or duff batteries.All the peace has gone because of this electricity craze. bizzard

• Greenie 1

I get woken up at home by cars, dustcarts, seagulls... A passing boat makes a nice change. It's not waking up that's a problem, it's when you have to get up. Lying half awake in a cosy bed on a boat is one of the nicest things there is.

Yes but cars,dustcarts,seagulls come and go. But an engine droning or thumping for hours on end is dreadful.

Have to start another anti- noise Topic. :cheers:

Yes but cars,dustcarts,seagulls come and go. But an engine droning or thumping for hours on end is dreadful.

Have to start another anti- noise Topic. :cheers:

Can we include those eardrumsmasher heating thingys? I live under the heathrow flight path and can still hear them over the planes!

Can we include those eardrumsmasher heating thingys? I live under the heathrow flight path and can still hear them over the planes!

Indeed why not,they're like a vacuum cleaner going on and off all night long.

The only trouble is,boats with simple electrics that don't have all the electric junk and generators are now i think in the minority. If i moor for the night and have to be near other boats i try to be next to an old delapidated boat as they're unlikely to have all that. I try to keep away from anything newish looking.

Indeed why not,they're like a vacuum cleaner going on and off all night long.

The only trouble is,boats with simple electrics that don't have all the electric junk and generators are now i think in the minority. If i moor for the night and have to be near other boats i try to be next to an old delapidated boat as they're unlikely to have all that. I try to keep away from anything newish looking.

Not necessarily vacuum-cleaner-ish, unless badly installed. We once had a hire boat that was as you described - very emabarrasing. However our new boat with Mikuni can hardly be heard even when standing next to it - the Mikuni exhaust has an appropriate silencer.

Regarding the delapidated boats, in my experience they are more likely to be the Continuous Moorers who never cruise and so inevitably have to start their noisy and smokey generators just when I want to settle down to a relaxing G&T and watching telly (on our HD recording freesat PVR via HD telly, with the multi-coloured under gunwale LED lights on, electric kettle on for coffee etc and all supplied by an adequate set of batteries!).

I frequently travel through the night. bizzard.

Yes but is that from bedroom to loo, or does the boat move with you too? (sorry couldn't resist!)

• Greenie 2

Not necessarily vacuum-cleaner-ish, unless badly installed. We once had a hire boat that was as you described - very emabarrasing. However our new boat with Mikuni can hardly be heard even when standing next to it - the Mikuni exhaust has an appropriate silencer.

Regarding the delapidated boats, in my experience they are more likely to be the Continuous Moorers who never cruise and so inevitably have to start their noisy and smokey generators just when I want to settle down to a relaxing G&T and watching telly (on our HD recording freesat PVR via HD telly, with the multi-coloured under gunwale LED lights on, electric kettle on for coffee etc and all supplied by an adequate set of batteries!).

Good show.Me candles just blown out. :unsure:

Is this a record?

Why do you consider it to be a problem?

We habitually set off for the day at 7am. as we find cruising when others are tied up more relaxing.

There is no boating curfew.

When most of your cruising is governed by tides you dont have a choice as to what time you wake up to start your day. For some reason we always manage to pick days to cruise with early tides. Our record so far has been a 4am start from Wells next the Sea. Meant getting up at 3am, getting the boat ready quietly so as not to wake the crew of the boat we were rafted to and setting off without waking them. We didnt hear them stir so can only assume we managed it.

On the river we often cruise well into the night. There is no curfew and we prefer to cover as much distance as possible during our weekend cruising time. Passing boats rarely wake us although these:

fishing-boat-twin-brothers.jpg

did have a habit of rattling the moored boats around and they go at any time of day or night. They work around the tides not the time :D