More residential moorings....?

welshmike

Featured Posts

I must be missing something here since when has committing a criminal act become a reason for deportation. How did you know any were from Eastern Europe as they do not register by country if they are European Citizens? Are you telling us that The UK Border Agency are actively looking at ways of deporting UK citizens?

And this.

Posted on August 26th, 2011 by emartin

The UK government announced yesterday that immigration into the UK in 2010 was 21% higher than in 2009, and the highest numbers since 2004. The total number of immigrants in 2010 was 239,000.

The statistics make it very difficult for the British government to achieve its goal of reducing net migration to tens of thousands by 2015. This is because a large number of the immigrants are from European Union countries. The UK cannot limit the rights of these workers to travel and work anywhere in the EU, including in the UK.

Many of the EU workers are coming from so-called A8 countries – the traditionally poorer countries that joined the EU in 2004. These are:

ETA Countries, originally came out as gobbledegook

Czech Republic<li>Estonia<li>Hungary<li>Latvia<li>Lithuania<li>Poland<li>Slovakia<li>Slovenia

Edited by Julynian

I must be missing something here since when has committing a criminal act become a reason for deportation. How did you know any were from Eastern Europe as they do not register by country if they are European Citizens? Are you telling us that The UK Border Agency are actively looking at ways of deporting UK citizens?

It's always been a reason for deportation. However, I don't suppose it works for EU citizens who commit crimes.

How can they commit crimes in this country before they get here.

They committed the offences after they got here, Simples.

I'm unable to give figures because 1. I did not keep a record myself. 2. The work was conducted last December. 3. Those from EU countries could not be considered for deportation, but the records had been included in the searches, why I don't know.

The subject's nationality was included in the information provided.

Edited by Blackrat

How can they commit crimes in this country before they get here.

They committed the offences after they got here, Simples.

I'm unable to give figures because 1. I did not keep a record myself. 2. The work was conducted last December. 3. Those from EU countries could not be considered for deportation, but the records had been included in the searches, why I don't know.

The subject's nationality was included in the information provided.

So, basically, you've made a statement that doesn't mean anything statistically, based on figures that you can't remember, from a survey you can't cite.

Well that's me convinced!

So now the neighbors from hell are African criminals! This is good, but I don't really know how to respond to this, I’ll leave you to wallow in your ignorance, one question though, how do you get all of those Diana plates to stay on the walls of your boat?

Now you are being offensive!

It's always been a reason for deportation. However, I don't suppose it works for EU citizens who commit crimes.

I think you are wrong and a source would be very handy. I have looked myself and can find no law allowing the deportation of UK Citizens if they commit a crime. The law was changed after the mass deportations to the colonies making deportation illegal.

I think you are wrong and a source would be very handy. I have looked myself and can find no law allowing the deportation of UK Citizens if they commit a crime. The law was changed after the mass deportations to the colonies making deportation illegal.

I agree with you, Cotswoldman. I believe that if a Citizen of a country commits a crime in his/her own country, his/her country is stuck with him/her no matter how heinous the crime.

I believe that a non-Citizen can be deported if s/he has committed a serious offence in the "new country" but where the UK is the "new country," that idea seems to have been rendered legless and toothless by the Yuman Rites Act

Edited by Gollywobbler

Surley the right to reply is what this forum is about and the fact that nina c was posting such foul tripe should rightly attract stern response.

Nina C has a right to an opinion. You have a right to reply, thats a given. You should re-read you responses to Nina C. They are nothing more than the vitriolic bile of which you accuse her. You are not debating anything. You are simply slapping Nina C because she dares to hold a contrary opinion to yours. You are a bully as are one or two others here. I find many of your remarks to Nina C most offensive, and I am ace at being offensive on this forum.

Please don't hide behind 'debate' because it appears that you can't do that.

Get off your high horse and try debating properly. Slapping Nina C around is not big and certainly not what Canalworld is about.

In all fairness, some of the comments she made were pretty crass especially the one saying Many African immigrants are criminals, If people post such crass and unjustified statements then they should reasonably expect other posters to have an opposite point of view.

Having an opposing point of view is not a reason to bully any poster.

Edited by Maffi
  • Greenie 1

I seem to think that there maybe some issue with sub letting your mooring. I'm not sure exactly though. I guess if this frankly silly idea comes to fruition then that will be sorted.

Hi Wanted

Thanks for your reply.

I'd never thought about the details of this before but I agree with you that there might be a problem.

On the River Hamble, our boat was called Aquilon. She belonged to Jim alone and he was the licencee of the Crown Estate mooring. The mooring licence definitely said that he was not allowed to sub-let the mooring. I always took that to mean that Jim couldn't allow occupation of Aquilon's berth by another boat that did not belong to Jim. I reckoned that it would not constitute "sub-letting" as long as Jim owned the boat on the berth.

Until I read your reply today, I'd never thought about how one construes the word "sub-let." Does it include taking rent off a third party and allowing that third party to have exclusive occupation of the boat on the berth? I suspect that marinas, especially, would be inclined to try to say that it does because I've never met a marina-owner who is slow to work out how he might make some money for himself!

As I understand this, occasionally a homeless person might turn up on a Council's doorstep saying that Bloggs is willing to rent him a boat for him to live on as long as the Council will pay the rent to Bloggs. Apparently, at the moment the Council can't agree to pay the rent for a boat. The Government say that they plan to relax this in the Localism Bill so that the Council can pay the rent for any "suitable accommodation" - be it a boat, a caravan or whatever.

I think the idea smacks of being an admission of defeat by the present Government. Why don't they just provide enough proper housing to keep everyone happy instead of casting around for ways to say that a cardboard box is "suitable accommodation?" It is possible to build at least a dozen houses for the same price as paying Civil Servants to invent silly schemes, it seems to me!

Cheers

Gill

Expressing distaste at racist comments is not bullying.

I am happy to hold a discussion with racists but they must accept that, if they use such language against a group, then they should expect the same back as an individual.

The language that Ninac used went from being just racist, which she was perfectly entitled to express (and anyone is perfectly entitled to respond to), to threatening violence, which she isn't allowed to do.

Edited by carlt

Nina C has a right to an opinion. You have a right to reply, thats a given. You should re-read you responses to Nina C. They are nothing more than the vitriolic bile of which you accuse her. You are not debating anything. You are simply slapping Nina C because she dares to hold a contrary opinion to yours. You are a bully as are one or two others here. I find many of your remarks to Nina C most offensive, and I am ace at being offensive on this forum.

Get off your high horse and try debating properly. Slapping Nina C around is not big and certainly not what Canalworld is about.

Greenie for that post!

If defending a racist is your thing then cool, if it's all the same to you i'll continue to oppose it.

If people feel that I have come across as a bully because I am intollerant to what I consider to be bigoted and racist remarks then I doubt we'll ever agree. If a handful of cyber folk give me stick for standing up against something that I see rotting the core of communities then so be it. If my anry ref to Diana offnded you I apologise.

Any comments I've made were quoted from the recent tabloids who you can argue may be sensationalising a particular debate but they are backed by the release of government figures and current TV documentaries, not least one that was televised this week about the scams being operated on many Brits to relieve them of their life savings while those who were finally arrested declared they were unemployed.

Please forgive me if I don't respond to individual posts calling me this, that and the other. I don't agree so I'm not going to debate your points. But to one commonsense poster, you mentioned the idea of prefabricated housing to solve the problems of the current shortage. This is an excellent idea and frankly I don't know why the government don't consider this option in more depth. There are several such housing parks near where I live and they are a realistic alternative to bricks and mortar. They're cheap to erect, well insulated, energy efficient. Surely this would be a better idea than using the canals to house people. Families especially can buy them as a low cost alternative and sell them on at a later date to get their investment back.

They were good enough in the war, why not now? It's a similar crisis.

Any comments I've made were quoted from the recent tabloids who you can argue may be sensationalising a particular debate but they are backed by the release of government figures and current TV documentaries, not least one that was televised this week about the scams being operated on many Brits to relieve them of their life savings while those who were finally arrested declared they were unemployed.

Please forgive me if I don't respond to individual posts calling me this, that and the other. I don't agree so I'm not going to debate your points. But to one commonsense poster, you mentioned the idea of prefabricated housing to solve the problems of the current shortage. This is an excellent idea and frankly I don't know why the government don't consider this option in more depth. There are several such housing parks near where I live and they are a realistic alternative to bricks and mortar. They're cheap to erect, well insulated, energy efficient. Surely this would be a better idea than using the canals to house people. Families especially can buy them as a low cost alternative and sell them on at a later date to get their investment back.

Having seen some of the beautiful jobs done with shipping containers, from a link on a previous postig, it is hard to imagine that living in a large floating community - on which a boat can cost as much to maintain as ahouse, could compete. I do think the American "trailer park" idea is fantastic as a starter home or for those who have found the cost of keeping their bricks and mortar too heavy a burden. These homes are more "home like" and seeing there is a lot of ugly wasteland around the cities, adding homes and gardens with trees, hedges etc would be a very attractive option, adding greenspace to cities and old industrial areas, better for the environment, stable for families with kids, a better community spirit which I am sure if I had sufffered the awful financial blow that some famiies have suffered, I would certainly value- if I did not have my boat I would be first in line for one of these - or am I just wearing rose tinted specs.

Bigot: One who is strongly partial to one's own group, religion, race, or politics and is intolerant of those who differ

If people feel that I have come across as a bully because I am intollerant to what I consider to be bigoted and racist remarks then I doubt we'll ever agree.

???

Having seen some of the beautiful jobs done with shipping containers, from a link on a previous postig, it is hard to imagine that living in a large floating community - on which a boat can cost as much to maintain as ahouse, could compete. I do think the American "trailer park" idea is fantastic as a starter home or for those who have found the cost of keeping their bricks and mortar too heavy a burden. These homes are more "home like" and seeing there is a lot of ugly wasteland around the cities, adding homes and gardens with trees, hedges etc would be a very attractive option, adding greenspace to cities and old industrial areas, better for the environment, stable for families with kids, a better community spirit which I am sure if I had sufffered the awful financial blow that some famiies have suffered, I would certainly value- if I did not have my boat I would be first in line for one of these - or am I just wearing rose tinted specs.

You're not wrong. My husband and I have been property renovators for many years and have transformed all kinds of projects, mostly bricks and mortar but also prefab builds in Australia where the heat is just as big an issue as the cold. If they are properly insulated you can live very comfortably.

If people could get their heads around the stigma of park homes, not see them as glorified caravans, but as a stepping stone towards a place to live, then I don't see why we have a housing crisis. The park home estates where I live are beautiful, mostly retirees live there but in a recent local article, they all said when asked if they would like to move, they wouldn't wish to swap their homes or lifestyles for anything. They found their bills were manageable, they had created a good community spirit, they had outside space, which you do not have with a boat, above all, they felt safe. Most of the park homes are in secure estates and well maintained.

I think if they were relabelled 'eco homes', the idea might be a lot more saleable and affordable to those families currently struggling to get on the housing ladder.

Any comments I've made were quoted from the recent tabloids

Really, show the tabloid that printed this statement you posted.

According to recent reports, immigration to the UK is up by 21% this year, many of which are African criminals who can't be deported because of their Human Rights,

Trying to blame all of your crass remarks on what you've the media is quite frankly a joke.

Please forgive me if I don't respond to individual posts calling me this, that and the other. I don't agree so I'm not going to debate your points.

How bloddy arrogant can you get. Of course you don't want to reply to individual posts as you know damned well you have no defence to offer what ever.

Having moved on from the earlier arguement I have no wish to pick it up again, however :smiley_offtopic: I have just wiped away a tear as I watched the gold medal for the 5000 meters being awarded at the World athletic championships to Great Britain, won by no less than a black african immigrant refugee from Somalia who came here as a child, the pride on his face as the stood to the national anthem I defy anyone to not get goosbumps. Makes me proud to be British even though I am an immigrant

PS I would be proud to live in one of those container houses as well :blush:

keep it coming nina,the impolite bully boys are ground down to emphasing the racist phrase over and over again!

you have the right to your opinions,and if some people find them unpalatable,they should try and convince you that their views are the correct ones,and not to shower you with vitriolic and cowardly abuse.

keep it coming nina,the impolite bully boys are ground down to emphasing the racist phrase over and over again!

you have the right to your opinions,and if some people find them unpalatable,they should try and convince you that their views are the correct ones,and not to shower you with vitriolic and cowardly abuse.

I haven't read any of their latest rants. They don't relate to the original topic so they don't count. It's good to look at other options for housing though instead of using the canals.

Really, show the tabloid that printed this statement you posted.

According to recent reports, immigration to the UK is up by 21% this year, many of which are African criminals who can't be deported because of their Human Rights,

Trying to blame all of your crass remarks on what you've the media is quite frankly a joke.

How bloddy arrogant can you get. Of course you don't want to reply to individual posts as you know damned well you have no defence to offer what ever.

Wil you stop dragging this topic back to suit your own agenda! Its moved on. Yours and wanted's remarks on some of your posts are really beginning to be boring

Our UK government could consider looking at overseas projects such as this one in Australia.

http://www.hcau.org.au/TPL_S1.php?PageName=HousingTab_TH&PageType=php&PageTitle=Transitional%20Housing

Granted, space in the UK is an issue but with some ingenuity and proper management, plus some vision, the whole concept of providing housing for people from all walks and on different incomes/specific needs could be met. Bricks and mortar don't have to be the only option. Transitional housing is worth looking into.