More residential moorings....?

welshmike

Featured Posts

:cheers:

Its the prawns I miss.....5 times bigger than the ones you get in the UK, prawnsprawnsprawns.....brilliant

Its now 4 and a sticky out tongue !!

I just eat 5 prawns! :P

Well Kiki I have used up one of my valuable greenies. Well said. I love Simonstown I used to catch the train there many times as a kid with my parents. Trying to think of the name of that dog that they made the statue of that now stands in Simonstown. I would just add it was not only the South African's of English decent that fought in both World Wars.

The dog was called Just Nuicence there is a statue to him in Simonstown harbour - of course it was of both decent, But you are right, my family are not of English decent, they are of German and Scottish. In fact my Grandpa was second generation German immigrant - yet chose to fight for Britain.

100_1152.jpg

Just Nuicence - being petted by local Capetonians In Simonstown Dockyard

Edited by kiki

I have read with faciniation this thread so far, trying not to get involved, but how dare you !!!! <SNIP>

'tis a rather good post, have another bogey thingy (Well that's what we called em when I were a lad :P )

Edited by MJG

Sounds good in theory, and helpful to a lot of people. But it depends on what kind of 'families' they are referring to surely? To ease the housing crisis local to where I am, housing associations have taken over property developments and handed them over to some families on housing benefit. I wouldn't want them for neighbours. I love the waterways for the sanctuary they provide and access to beautiful countryside. If this was to become someone's idea of cheap living, rather than an appreciation of the environment, it would no longer be the same.

Great idea in principle but who for?

A very harsh judgment on people unfortunate enough to need to claim housing benefit. People often have to go cap in hand for benefits as they may well work for somebody who thinks minimum wage = living wage.

Just count yourself lucky that you are not in the position to need benefits.

Phil Ambrose (pensioner)

The wording I used was 'many of them', not all and I'm not joining your nitpicking, word twisting debate.

I'm curious, how many of you posters are liveaboards?

I am.

Phil

I have just noticed something interesting. You're all men on this thread while I'm a small female standing my ground on my principles. I've remained polite mostly, while you've all gone on the attack.

If you'll excuse me, I'm going to go and find someone with real balls who can hold an intelligent debate without the need to hide behind emotive issues such as racism and living off benefits. I stand by every word I said. If you think you'll be safe because you are suddenly blessed by residential status to stay living on your boat, see how safe you feel when the government dumps a whole heap of anti social families on a boat next to yours in the middle of rural tranquility.

I am now unsubscribing on the grounds that you're a bunch of wimps your only argument being to try and bully your way through this debate.

And pick on someone your own size next time!

Unsubscribing? great news.

Phil

http://www.insidehousing.co.uk/tenancies/homeless-could-live-in-boats-and-caravans/6517540.article

English councils will be allowed to house homeless people in caravans and houseboats from next year, the Communities and Local Government department has said.

Under plans outlined in the Localism Bill, homeless people will not be able to refuse private sector accommodation if a council offers it to them. Councils can currently only discharge their homelessness duty by providing social housing.

This week, the CLG went a step further and confirmed that caravans, mobile homes and houseboats could be used to house people in some circumstances, provided the accommodation could be ruled ‘suitable’.

This means it must meet quality and space standards and be affordable. Last year, 61,000 households were recognised as newly homeless.

A CLG spokesperson said: ‘This has a role to play but the government isn’t trying to shirk its responsibility of providing long-term homes for people.’ The spokesperson added that the department did not expect caravans and boats ‘to be much used’ by councils.

Duncan Shrubsole, head of strategy and policy at homelessness charity Crisis, said: ‘While a houseboat or caravan might be suitable for a small number of households, for the vast majority they are not an appropriate housing option and they should not be a substitute for building the new homes we so desperately need.’

Alastair Murray, deputy director of Housing Justice, said the move seemed ‘a bit desperate’.

The news emerged after housing minister Grant Shapps outlined plans this week to allow councils to claim a share of the £1 billion new homes bonus if they used mooring space to house people on boats.

The CLG spokesperson confirmed that the bonus, under which the government matches the council tax on new properties for the first six years, would be extended to all properties liable for council tax, including houseboats and static caravans.

Kay Boycott, director of communications, policy and campaigns at Shelter, said: ‘The new homes bonus will not be enough to solve this escalating [housing] crisis, particularly when spending on house building has been cut by more than 60 per cent.’

I have quoted the whole of the article published by Inside Housing yesterday.

Please can we try to avoid getting bogged down with descriptions of stereotypes about what people imagine that a "homeless person" looks like?

The things that concern me are:-

1. Sure, the intention is ONLY to let a homeless person live on a boat if that is what s/he actually wants to do. There is no suggestion that people who don't want to do it should be pushed towards living on boats.

2. However, would it give derelict boats a new (and somewhat dodgy) lease of life? Some minor, cosmetic tarting up can easily fool the boat-inexperienced and unwary, surely?

3. Even if the structurally dodgy vessels remained ashore rather than afloat, are there enough places ashore where they could be kept? Presumably there are not enough places on some of the inland waterways where boats could be kept afloat on permanent residential moorings?

I'd be interested to know what other people think, please.

The more common approach for councils housing people these days is through the private rented sector,(direct lettings,rent deposit schemes and hb threshold deals) presuming that the LA's won't buy boats as housing stock, (they don't own many houses either) does it mean that they will have to strike a deal with BW/EA to allow private rented boats to let or sub let?

Edited by wanted

The more common approach for councils housing people these days is through the private rented sector,(direct lettings,rent deposit schemes and hb threshold deals) presuming that the LA's won't buy boats as housing stock, (they don't own many houses either) does it mean that they will have to strike a deal with BW/EA to allow private rented boats to let or sub let?

Hi Wanted

I believe that the current deal is that if the "housing provider" is not a recognised Housing Association or similar but is a Private Landlord, then the money for the rent is paid via the "pot" called 'Local Housing Allowance' rather than via the one called 'Housing Benefit.'

I believe that either the Press don't understand the nuances properly themselves or that they are just trying to simplify things for their readers - I'm not sure which.

I believe that the 'boat living idea' depends on the notion that the Local Authority will not provide the boat. I think the idea is that Private Landlord provides Boat and that Local Authority then say whether or not Boat offers 'suitable accommodation.' Who for? Presumably the otherwise 'homeless person."

Personally, I think the whole idea is hopelessly simplistic. Living on a boat is easier said than done in my own experience of having been a liveaboard. Sure, it is possible to make the liveaboard idea work - I'm the living proof of that fact. However I think that doing it requires a certain mindset plus somebody (in my case my late husband Jim) knowing enough about boats to make the idea reasonably tolerable and safe.

The question you ask is:

...does it mean that they will have to strike a deal with BW/EA to allow private rented boats to let or sub let?

Is there an issue with this, please?

Thanks

Gill

You have stated that there is an increase of immigrants to the UK by 21% this year, many of which are African criminals, this is a, not true

Her estimate is not far off. Having just completed a survey for UK Borders Agency of the 60,000 subjects submitted, who had been convicted of an offence that I was asked to check, a large number were from Africa. The rest were made-up from those from Eastern Europe, The Middle East and the Indian sub continent. The reason being that they were looking at those who had served at least one days imprisonment with a view to deportation.

A friend of mine has had an idea for many years. I used to think it a daft idea, but now it makes sense.....................

Convert shipping containers to housing modules by inserting a few windows and fitting out internally as required........... no water required to float them.

Phil

This has been done in Docklands, not only residential but also small business units.

Steve

You have stated that there is an increase of immigrants to the UK by 21% this year, many of which are African criminals, this is a, not true

Her estimate is not far off. Having just completed a survey for UK Borders Agency of the 60,000 subjects submitted, who had been convicted of an offence that I was asked to check, a large number were from Africa. The rest were made-up from those from Eastern Europe, The Middle East and the Indian sub continent. The reason being that they were looking at those who had served at least one days imprisonment with a view to deportation.

Her estimate is not far off.

a large number were from Africa.

What exactly does that mean????, a large number in comparison to whom or what other figures, what is a large number over 50% ???? how do you know the crimes committed weren't under some dictatorship where you can go to prison for looking at someone the wrong way trumpt up charges etc

I thought it would be blatantly obvious that out of 60,000 people that some would have a criminal record.

The main issue is her isolation of a particular race from a choice of hundreds of different races is highly suspect, and the use of the term many with regard to (African criminals) is not a number how can you equate her figures are not far off.

What exactly does that mean????, a large number in comparison to whom or what other figures, what is a large number over 50% ???? how do you know the crimes committed weren't under some dictatorship where you can go to prison for looking at someone the wrong way trumpt up charges etc

I thought it would be blatantly obvious that out of 60,000 people that some would have a criminal record.

The main issue is her isolation of a particular race from a choice of hundreds of different races is highly suspect, and the use of the term many with regard to (African criminals) is not a number how can you equate her figures are not far off.

All of the 60,000 had committed offences in the UK, and where it might be grounds for deportation. Having abused the trust after being allowed to enter the country.

Edited by Blackrat

All of the 60,000 had committed offences in the UK, and where it might be grounds for deportation. Having abused the trust after being allowed to enter the country.

Im sorry I just don't get it.

According to recent reports, immigration to the UK is up by

21% this year, many of which are African criminals who can't be deported because

of their Human Rights,

This is people coming into this country surely.

How can they commit crimes in this country before they get here.

Immigration (derived from Latin: migratio) is the act of foreigners passing or coming into a country for the purpose of permanent residence. Immigration is made for many reasons, including economic, political, family re-unification, natural disaster, poverty or the wish to change one's surroundings voluntarily.

We had a topic awhile ago on how you see the canals of the future. I said as a housing estate. Looks as though it could be sooner rather than later.

Sue

Well, as a liveaboard, surely you are already contributing to your bleak prophecy...or should you be part of the 'elite' that are allowed to live on their boats, whilst the plebs can stay away?

Her estimate is not far off. Having just completed a survey for UK Borders Agency of the 60,000 subjects submitted, who had been convicted of an offence that I was asked to check, a large number were from Africa. The rest were made-up from those from Eastern Europe, The Middle East and the Indian sub continent.

I do not believe the UK Borders Agency would employ someone who used such wishy washy statistical language to carry out a survey.

This post says nothing of statistical value, whatsoever.

Cite your sources and quote figures, please?

Edited by carlt

Well, as a liveaboard, surely you are already contributing to your bleak prophecy...or should you be part of the 'elite' that are allowed to live on their boats, whilst the plebs can stay away?

I do not believe the UK Borders Agency would employ someone who used such wishy washy statistical language to carry out a survey.

This post says nothing of statistical value, whatsoever.

Cite your sources and quote figures, please?

Saved me asking wink.gif

Uk border agency contracted you to do a survey and then didn't bind you to confidentiality?

I don't believe you

Hi Wanted

I believe that the current deal is that if the "housing provider" is not a recognised Housing Association or similar but is a Private Landlord, then the money for the rent is paid via the "pot" called 'Local Housing Allowance' rather than via the one called 'Housing Benefit.'

I believe that either the Press don't understand the nuances properly themselves or that they are just trying to simplify things for their readers - I'm not sure which.

I believe that the 'boat living idea' depends on the notion that the Local Authority will not provide the boat. I think the idea is that Private Landlord provides Boat and that Local Authority then say whether or not Boat offers 'suitable accommodation.' Who for? Presumably the otherwise 'homeless person."

Personally, I think the whole idea is hopelessly simplistic. Living on a boat is easier said than done in my own experience of having been a liveaboard. Sure, it is possible to make the liveaboard idea work - I'm the living proof of that fact. However I think that doing it requires a certain mindset plus somebody (in my case my late husband Jim) knowing enough about boats to make the idea reasonably tolerable and safe.

The question you ask is:

Is there an issue with this, please?

Thanks

Gill

I seem to think that there maybe some issue with sub letting your mooring. I'm not sure exactly though. I guess if this frankly silly idea comes to fruition then that will be sorted.

I must be missing something here since when has committing a criminal act become a reason for deportation. How did you know any were from Eastern Europe as they do not register by country if they are European Citizens? Are you telling us that The UK Border Agency are actively looking at ways of deporting UK citizens?

I thought that part of the idea was to assist young couples who could not get on the housing ladder to purchase a boat (whether narrow or dutch barge) and get a residential mooring, rather than housing the homeless!!!

Hi Blackrat

I understand that there is a shortage of residential moorings in the areas where your hypothetical young couple might choose to live? How is buying a boat going to solve that problem, please?

Is this really only the perennial example of Civil Servants and Politicians failing to do that which most people call, "joined-up thinking?"

Thanks

Gill