More residential moorings....?

welshmike

Featured Posts

dont worry,we are are all secure, a friend of a friend who may just a vague ancestorial connection to phylis some body or other,has informed me that nina c will shortly be quarantined in guantanamo bay.

what a relief!

and furthermore,she is holding a barbeque some time next week,in the exercise area,and my family are amongst those that are priveleged enough to be invited to attend!

is not life just bloody glorious?.

at last,justice is done,and the playground is peaceful,albeit momentary.

Where did anyone on this thread mention quote 'drowning African thieves'??? The people I was referring to were the current 4 million Brits that are on benefits in households where no one has ever worked. Some of these are generations of white Brits who have grown up living on the welfare state for decades. These are the ones I don't want for neighbours and they are the same ones I tongue in cheek said 'I would drown' if I had to work all day while they didn't contribute a thing. Please stop making an issue of racism when my comments were aimed firmly at the lazy, benefit seeking culture who would see living on the canals as a cheap housing option.

Sorry Smelly, I accidentally posted this in reply to the wrong poster.

Yes smelly it was in actual fact African criminals, the paragraph here.

According to recent reports, immigration to the UK is up by 21% this year, many of which are African criminals who can't be deported because of their Human Rights, (please do visit Downing Streets e petition site if you're interested in signing the campaign on having a referendum by the Daily Express to leave the EU.)

As to drowning the African criminals unsure.gif or was it the unemployed, oh or people on benefits or people from sink housing estates, Oh no maybe Immigrants OHHH feck it's just so confusing, she certainly wanted to drown some group or another that's for sue laugh.gif

If defending a racist is your thing then cool, if it's all the same to you i'll continue to oppose it.

If people feel that I have come across as a bully because I am intollerant to what I consider to be bigoted and racist remarks then I doubt we'll ever agree. If a handful of cyber folk give me stick for standing up against something that I see rotting the core of communities then so be it. If my anry ref to Diana offnded you I apologise.

You really are an ass. You are blind to what you say.

Whatever Nina C says you are simply slapping her around there is no debate involved here. You are being a bully as are others.

Surely you should rise above what you percieve as a problem and just state your case, if you have one. I am not defending a racist, I am defending her right to be treated as a human being with the same rights as you have, something which you are refusing to allow.

And the Diana thing? there is nothing you can say to offend me because it seems you have nothing to say. My comment about that was as before you were slapping Nina C about. Had she been standing in front of you in the flesh I don't doubt you would have hit her judging by your continued vitriolic outbursts.

I have nothing more to say to you at this time.

Bigot: One who is strongly partial to one's own group, religion, race, or politics and is intolerant of those who differ

???

Thank you Gibbo.

Edited by Maffi

dont worry,we are are all secure, a friend of a friend who may just a vague ancestorial connection to phylis some body or other,has informed me that nina c will shortly be quarantined in guantanamo bay.

what a relief!

and furthermore,she is holding a barbeque some time next week,in the exercise area,and my family are amongst those that are priveleged enough to be invited to attend!

is not life just bloody glorious?.

at last,justice is done,and the playground is peaceful,albeit momentary.

Pray tell, how many shredded wheats did you have this morning?

I am defending this history and love of the British waterways regardless of how my posts have been interpreted.

I think you must know perfectly well when you have posted much of what you have posted, exactly how it is likely to get interpreted, and it's not credible to then react and say "I've been misunderstood".

Go and re-read it. Yours are not views I care to read, and I prefer to share my waterways with people who don't write this kind of stuff.

At least, from my experience, you are in a minority, from which I can draw some comfort.

I think you must know perfectly well when you have posted much of what you have posted, exactly how it is likely to get interpreted, and it's not credible to then react and say "I've been misunderstood".

Go and re-read it. Yours are not views I care to read, and I prefer to share my waterways with people who don't write this kind of stuff.

At least, from my experience, you are in a minority, from which I can draw some comfort.

Well don't read my posts then. It's quite simple really isn't it? I know what I'm defending and I have not said my posts have been 'misunderstood'. They've been twisted to suit someone else's agenda. Please don't think I give a damn about anyone's agenda. I simply don't want the canals overcrowding to the point where their enjoyment is compromised for everyone else not to mention the wildlife.

You really are an ass. You are blind to what you say.

Whatever Nina C says you are simply slapping her around there is no debate involved here. You are being a bully as are others.

Surely you should rise above what you percieve as a problem and just state your case, if you have one. I am not defending a racist, I am defending her right to be treated as a human being with the same rights as you have, something which you are refusing to allow.

And the Diana thing? there is nothing you can say to offend me because it seems you have nothing to say. My comment about that was as before you were slapping Nina C about. Had she been standing in front of you in the flesh I don't doubt you would have hit her judging by your continued vitriolic outbursts.

I have nothing more to say to you at this time.

Thank you Gibbo.

Er, good

Going back to the original posters topic, given the fact that BW are 30 million pounds short of budget, does anyone think that the idea of offering more residential moorings is a concept offered between local authorities (to solve the housing crisis) and the new BW charity (drastically short on funds) to bring in more funds by luring boaters into grabbing the security of residential status thus then paying council tax, higher charges and knowing exactly where they are so they can introduce more fees to make up the shortfall further down the track?

Going back to the original posters topic, given the fact that BW are 30 million pounds short of budget, does anyone think that the idea of offering more residential moorings is a concept offered between local authorities (to solve the housing crisis) and the new BW charity (drastically short on funds) to bring in more funds by luring boaters into grabbing the security of residential status thus then paying council tax, higher charges and knowing exactly where they are so they can introduce more fees to make up the shortfall further down the track?

tricky question nina.i may just have to consult er, wanted,as to to correct way to proceed?

tricky question nina.i may just have to consult er, wanted,as to to correct way to proceed?

Please do :-) He might just be one of those already under the beady eye. Could be a nerve wracking moment for him where he might need to ask a 'friend'.

I can't see these proposals ever coming to a canal near us. The costs setting such a scheme up would be huge I imagine. Would give us widebeams something to think about whilst trying to navigate through the water villages,lol. Would it also devalue the waterside developments sprouting up all over the place?

Please do :-) He might just be one of those already under the beady eye. Could be a nerve wracking moment for him where he might need to ask a 'friend'.

Hang on a minute, he still has "ask the audience"

I can't see these proposals ever coming to a canal near us. The costs setting such a scheme up would be huge I imagine. Would give us widebeams something to think about whilst trying to navigate through the water villages,lol. Would it also devalue the waterside developments sprouting up all over the place?

It's an interesting thought isn't it. Where is the money coming from for the additional marinas? All that extra traffic in canals that have no water with locks being closed. What are they seeing ahead of us? It makes you wonder what the next proposals will be given a shortfall of funds with no government assistance.

it may be prudent that widebeams are limited to dawn and dusk movements only.

this timetable would prevent the canal purists from becoming anxious?

as long as their fenders were adequately lubricated one cannot see any aperture for "wideist" to be aggravated?

I think this whole 'proposal' is nothing like some are assuming. We're getting the wrong end of the stick entirely.

I think this whole thing has come out of the fall-out from BW's failed Lee and Stort proposals. It's obvious to me, the government didn't even realise we liveaboards existed before the big media/political campaign by London Boaters. Many of us are on low incomes and you could say we are vulnerably housed. Boaters have been lobbying mps and local government for more residential moorings. For a long time, Bw has admitted they need more residential moorings in London (not new ones, but change of use), but they have had a hard time convincing the local authorities. At the same time I don't think the LA's want or need us all on the council housing waiting lists and perhaps the government is agreeing with that, and along with raised awareness of how many of us are already afloat, they seem to be recognising this.

I'm a lurker on a London canals group, which posts up planning applications and I see planning permission for residential moorings turned down again and again. Some moorings already exist but don't have residential status. Then there is planning permission for new moorings turned down in places such as that popular destination for cruising, the Slough Arm. Planning for Roydon Marina, residential moorings, all turned down. I think the local authorities treat us like travellers - they think we are scum. It's not nice being looked down on by people who think they are better than you, you know. I don't think anyone for one minute would think it was a great idea housing problem families on water, but there are lots of us already afloat that would welcome a bit more security.

And before anyone starts moaning about having to go at 2mph past lines of moored boats, we could actually do with a few cruising boats on the Lee, I went out at Bank Holiday weekend and could count on my hands the number of cruising boats. No one comes here! Take a look at nb Epiphany's latest blog posts and you'll see how (not) piled out it is up here.

And Maffi is right, we are all entitled to our own opinion, but if you have a controversial opinion. (and yes I am very shocked at that opinion and I've lived in London for 20 years), don't be surprised if you get some flack for it.

Edited by Lady Muck

I think this whole 'proposal' is nothing like some are assuming. We're getting the wrong end of the stick entirely.

I think this whole thing has come out of the fall-out from BW's failed Lee and Stort proposals. It's obvious to me, the government didn't even realise we liveaboards existed before the big media/political campaign by London Boaters. Many of us are on low incomes and you could say we are vulnerably housed. Boaters have been lobbying mps and local government for more residential moorings. Even Bw has admitted they need more residential moorings in London (not new ones, but change of use). I don't think the LA's want or need us all on the council housing waiting lists and perhaps the government is agreeing with that.

I'm a lurker on a London canals group, which posts up planning applications and I see planning permission for residential moorings turned down again and again. Some moorings already exist but don't have residential status. Then there is planning permission in places such as that popular destination for cruising, the Slough Arm. Planning for Roydon Marina, residential moorings, all turned down. I think the local authorities treat us like travellers - they think we are scum. It's not nice being looked down on by people who think they are better than you, you know. I don't think anyone for one minute would think it was a great idea housing problem families on water, but there are lots of us already afloat that would welcome a bit more security.

And before anyone starts moaning about having to go at 2mph past lines of moored boats, we could actually do with a few cruising boats on the Lee, I went out at Bank Holiday weekend and could count on my hands the number of cruising boats. No one comes here! Take a look at nb Epiphany's latest blog posts and you'll see how (not) piled out it is up here.

And Maffi is right, we are all entitled to our own opinion, but if you have a controversial opinion. (and yes I am very shocked at that opinion and I've lived in London for 20 years), don't be surprised if you get some flack for it.

I really respect your honest post and it's truthful integrity. It's not about your income, more your need and respect to live in a place that meets your needs. I suspect a double deal with the proposals to create more residential moorings. While it may solve a shorterm housing crisis, I also suspect that in it's current sugar coated approach, it's more about hooking people into the security of residential status but only so you pay the all the fees. Realistically who are going to be the winners???

Ahh, so it was yours I saw departing its moorings the other day....

No, I was busy working.It must have been yours.

Let's face it, there is no money for the canals. I know lots would like to have them as their own private 'model train set' where they can dress up and play at pretend working boats without any interruptions from fishermen, cyclists and pesky hippies on tatty boats, but we can't can we?, it won't pay the bills. There is going to have to be a compromise isn't there?

Edited by Lady Muck

Maffi... How would you propose that such distasteful comments be challenged? You might stand as the protector of free speech however there is a darker side to your comments which I'm sure you well know.

You appear loathe to condemn someone discussing drowning scrounging African thieves yet jump in shoes and all to defend those people against what to some people is well founded, if equally strong, opprobrium...

With mischievous rhetoric in mind, would you stand forward and condemn the racist element on this thread?

I don't propose that 'such distasteful comments' should be challenged its all subjective anyway. Just say your piece. If it stands as an educated well formed argument that is enough. Finished.

There is no darker side to my comments at all. I like every one until they do me wrong, then I will hate them and I don't care if they are white, black, brown, green, blue or yellow, I will hate them all the same. I tend to be prejudiced against Arabs because they owe me a shed load of money and they denied 6 of my colleagues (Paks and Plipinos) medical aid and they died. In the years I spent abroad I have seen and been subjected to racial abuse on many occasions. Strangely enough its how other countries work. Suggest to a Saudi that a Pakistani is his equal in all things and he will laugh at you. Even though many Paks are Moslems, the Saudis (certainly the ones I worked with) see them as lower than dogs.

On a plane in Paris an Indian woman said to the attendant "Please move this paki bitch, I don't want to her sitting next to me."

On another plane in Dubai a flight attendant asked a brown skinned passenger to do up his seat belt. He said, "Leave me alone you fucking white cow." Personally I would have had them both off the plane.

Edit: I was on both planes.

My experience of 'foreigners' is that they are the most racist people in this world. If you think Nina C is a racist you need to get out more.

I will neither condemn nor side with the 'racists' on this thread over what they say, but I will condemn the bullies and side with those they bully. Now you can make of that what you will, but as is the norm on this forum you will probably be wrong.

The 'ist' and the 'ism' are an endemic plague in our society. The 'ismist' spends his life spouting 'istisms' of which he has no real understanding; he just likes riding on the bandwagon.

I feel sure that by now all the goody two shoes reading this will be incensed that I have called a Pakistani a 'Pak' and have me scheduled for execution asap. I make no apology for this as many of my Pakistani co-workers would say they are Paks in the same way I would say I am a Brit. When I write to them I sign my letters and emails Maffi the Brit. It is only the 'ismist' that would see this as a display of racism, but then what else have they got in their lives?

PS an ismist is a very tiny-minded person, usually one with severe tunnel vision.

Do your worst!

Edited by Maffi
  • Greenie 2