More residential moorings....?

welshmike

Featured Posts

Shapps urges councils to increase houseboat moorings

27 August 11 05:10

The government is offering councils financial incentives to allow more moorings for houseboats on waterways.

Housing Minister Grant Shapps says new moorings could be eligible for the New Homes Bonus, which sees the government match council tax from new-build homes.

He says houseboats could allow people to live in areas that otherwise might be out of their financial reach.

"Landlords, councils and communities all have a clear incentive to get more mooring sites in their areas," he said.

'Lease of life'

"Around 15,000 people live on our waterways and many more would like to do so. The government's commitment to localism could be an opportunity for living on boats to be given a new lease of life."

Mr Shapps said creating more residential long-term moorings could also reduce the number of boats overstaying on the towpaths of canals and waterways.

Sally Ash of British Waterways said the organisation hoped Mr Shapps's call for more moorings would "alleviate localised congestion along the towpaths".

"We are also pleased to note the reassurance from Mr Shapps' department that people can qualify for housing benefit for help with mooring fees," she said.

I have copied and pasted the story. I find posts with just a link very frustrating, especially for us boaters using dongles!!

Shapps urges councils to increase houseboat moorings

_54964073_001783102-1.jpgGrant Shapps said a residential mooring could allow people to live closer to their jobs, family or schoolContinue reading the main storyThe government is offering councils financial incentives to allow more moorings for houseboats on waterways.

Housing Minister Grant Shapps says new moorings could be eligible for the New Homes Bonus, which sees the government match council tax from new-build homes.

He says houseboats could allow people to live in areas that otherwise might be out of their financial reach.

"Landlords, councils and communities all have a clear incentive to get more mooring sites in their areas," he said.

'Lease of life'"Around 15,000 people live on our waterways and many more would like to do so. The government's commitment to localism could be an opportunity for living on boats to be given a new lease of life."

Mr Shapps said creating more residential long-term moorings could also reduce the number of boats overstaying on the towpaths of canals and waterways.

Sally Ash of British Waterways said the organisation hoped Mr Shapps's call for more moorings would "alleviate localised congestion along the towpaths".

"We are also pleased to note the reassurance from Mr Shapps' department that people can qualify for housing benefit for help with mooring fees," she said.

I think it is quite a good idea but would be better in Marinas than along the Towpath.

They could start by approving all planning applications for new moorings in London. Most of them get turned down.

Roydon marina applied for residential status but didn't get it.

They've been proposing more moorings on the Slough Arm for some time (an excellent place for moorings IMO) but the application has just been turned down.

Edited by Lady Muck

Wouldn't it be an idea if BW, perhaps in partnership, provided some basic low cost marinas for this purpose? Rates could be similar to online moorings with basic facilities e.g. water points and elsan/rubbish disposal. No need for lots of fancy lights, posh showers, electric points or water taps to each berth. I.e. what you would expect on an online mooring, but with a bit of extra security and full residential status and Council Tax liability.

Story picked up in the Indy today ...

Houseboats to provide key to UK housing crisis The Independent Saturday, 27 August 2011

The government has unveiled its latest answer to the shortage of affordable homes in Britain: it wants more people to live on houseboats. Local authorities will be given financial incentives to allow more residential moorings on rivers, canals and tidal waters, while the public could qualify for housing benefit to cover mooring fees. About 15,000 people live on boats and ministers want to make the option available to many others amid concern about the cost of getting a foot on the housing ladder and the number of new homes being built. Grant Shapps, the Housing Minister, said yesterday: "Whilst they will never overtake bricks and mortar in putting a roof over the heads of families, innovative new ways of housing families – such as residential moorings – play an important role in allowing people to live near their place of work, children's school, or family, and where perhaps they would not be able to afford to otherwise." He believed many more people would like to live on boats. With half the population living within five miles of a waterway, he said, the wider public could benefit from a funding injection.

Where houseboat residents pay council tax, communities will be eligible for the "new homes bonus", a £250m-a-year pot of grants to encourage local authorities to provide more housing. Alan Wildman, chairman of the Residential Boat Owners' Association, said: "Living afloat is arguably the most sustainable, lowest impact way to live."

Story picked up in the Indy today ...

Houseboats to provide key to UK housing crisis The Independent Saturday, 27 August 2011

The government has unveiled its latest answer to the shortage of affordable homes in Britain: it wants more people to live on houseboats. Local authorities will be given financial incentives to allow more residential moorings on rivers, canals and tidal waters, while the public could qualify for housing benefit to cover mooring fees. About 15,000 people live on boats and ministers want to make the option available to many others amid concern about the cost of getting a foot on the housing ladder and the number of new homes being built. Grant Shapps, the Housing Minister, said yesterday: "Whilst they will never overtake bricks and mortar in putting a roof over the heads of families, innovative new ways of housing families – such as residential moorings – play an important role in allowing people to live near their place of work, children's school, or family, and where perhaps they would not be able to afford to otherwise." He believed many more people would like to live on boats. With half the population living within five miles of a waterway, he said, the wider public could benefit from a funding injection.

Where houseboat residents pay council tax, communities will be eligible for the "new homes bonus", a £250m-a-year pot of grants to encourage local authorities to provide more housing. Alan Wildman, chairman of the Residential Boat Owners' Association, said: "Living afloat is arguably the most sustainable, lowest impact way to live."

Sounds good in theory, and helpful to a lot of people. But it depends on what kind of 'families' they are referring to surely? To ease the housing crisis local to where I am, housing associations have taken over property developments and handed them over to some families on housing benefit. I wouldn't want them for neighbours. I love the waterways for the sanctuary they provide and access to beautiful countryside. If this was to become someone's idea of cheap living, rather than an appreciation of the environment, it would no longer be the same.

Great idea in principle but who for?

I wouldn't want them for neighbours

So you don't think the skint should be able to live afloat then? It should be kept for people like you........because? Because you are better than them?

Your post reads like you think skint people don't appreciate the environment. Go and talk to these people that you turn your nose up at, you might learn something.

Most of us liveaboards are not rich, many I know are already on benefits. What do you suggest we do?

ETA deckchair, popcorn, etc.

Edited by Lady Muck

Sounds good in theory, and helpful to a lot of people. But it depends on what kind of 'families' they are referring to surely? To ease the housing crisis local to where I am, housing associations have taken over property developments and handed them over to some families on housing benefit. I wouldn't want them for neighbours. I love the waterways for the sanctuary they provide and access to beautiful countryside. If this was to become someone's idea of cheap living, rather than an appreciation of the environment, it would no longer be the same.

That saved me writing...

So you don't think the skint should be able to live afloat then? It should be kept for people like you........because? Because you are better than them?

Your post reads like you think skint people don't appreciate the environment. Go and talk to these people that you turn your nose up at, you might learn something.

Most of us liveaboards are not rich, many I know are already on benefits. What do you suggest we do?

ETA deckchair, popcorn, etc.

No not at all. I know most liveaboards love their water environment. I know many of them are on benefits. My point was aimed at allowing a lot more 'families' to live on the water which may have an adverse affect on the immediate environment especially if some people fail to appreciate it.

Guest wanted

What a bigoted, idiotic and offensive post, classic nimbyism from somebody who clearly has ideas far above their own intelligence. I think the waterways would improve if the likes of you move away.

• Greenie 2

If you actually thought about it rather than trotting out ignorant cant then you would realise that only people who had some investment in the "boatie" lifestyle would make such a major move to off-grid living.

I get the feeling that the Daily Mayall "eek, I don't want that sort on my canal" where people have been divided into imaginary sub-cultures will become a pole in this debate.

Guest wanted

No not at all. I know most liveaboards love their water environment. I know many of them are on benefits. My point was aimed at allowing a lot more 'families' to live on the water which may have an adverse affect on the immediate environment especially if some people fail to appreciate it.

That is not what you said, you said that you wouldn't want to live next to the kind of families that are on housing benefit. I presume that you think that families that claim HB are more likely to ruin the environment. As I said, offensive.

That is not what you said, you said that you wouldn't want to live next to the kind of families that are on housing benefit. I presume that you think that families that claim HB are more likely to ruin the environment. As I said, offensive.

Not sure who you're arguing with here but to be absolutely clear.......I wouldn't want to live next to or in the vicinity of a bunch of council sink estate families who've been moved away because they've trashed their communities. Nothing to do with living on benefits. More the character of the person and their behaviour on land or water.

• Greenie 2

I agree with Nina C - We need to remember that often no go areas and sink estates are the result of the people living in them, not the initial surroundings they find themselves in.

I am sure the bleeding liberals will have an excuse for peoples behaviour, its learnt.

Guest wanted

Not sure who you're arguing with here but to be absolutely clear.......I wouldn't want to live next to or in the vicinity of a bunch of council sink estate families who've been moved away because they've trashed their communities. Nothing to do with living on benefits. More the character of the person and their behaviour on land or water.

I'm disagreeing with you.

WTF are you on about? 'trashed communities' 'been moved away' you have made an assumption that people who live on sink estates and or are on benefits are going to be moved onto boats next to you and act out your weird and offensive idea of people from a less privileged background than yourself.

I imagine you are a few posts away from telling us how you were from a poor family or that some of your best friends are on benefits, but frankly you sound as if you have no clue about the reality of social housing.

As has been said, people who don’t want to live on a boat can’t be forced to so the chances of your nightmare becoming true (not that it would anyway) are slim.

I'm disagreeing with you.

WTF are you on about? 'trashed communities' 'been moved away' you have made an assumption that people who live on sink estates and or are on benefits are going to be moved onto boats next to you and act out your weird and offensive idea of people from a less privileged background than yourself.

I imagine you are a few posts away from telling us how you were from a poor family or that some of your best friends are on benefits, but frankly you sound as if you have no clue about the reality of social housing.

As has been said, people who don’t want to live on a boat can’t be forced to so the chances of your nightmare becoming true (not that it would anyway) are slim.

Just saw your intellectual reply. I pay over 4,000 pounds a year in mooring fees,BW licence, etc. I contribute to the upkeep and maintenance of the waterways and I love and respect every ounce of the sanctuary they provide. I have fully adopted and adapted to the 'boatie lifestyle' as it is known spending only 10% of time actually on my boat because the other 90% I am working 24/7.

According to recent reports, immigration to the UK is up by 21% this year, many of which are African criminals who can't be deported because of their Human Rights, (please do visit Downing Streets e petition site if you're interested in signing the campaign on having a referendum by the Daily Express to leave the EU.)

Obviously and as part of their Human Rights as deemed by the EU, they are in receipt of benefits and free housing, which the UK has run out of hence them now turning their somewhat urgent need to the idea of putting more and more people to live on the water.

When I retire at 80, because my pension has gone so I have to work this long, I thought I might like to live on my boat so I am now wondering exactly what nature of people may become my neighbours, and if the waterways will have lost it's tranquility owing to the possibility of the thug culture currently staying at the pleasure of HM after the riots, may require housing, (just one example). My question has absolutely nothing to do with the general issue of anyone in receipt of benefits.

I am genuinely concerned for the impact on the environment of the waterways and the effect it would take.

• Greenie 1

My ghast is flabbered.

'family' ? What is thing? I know what a family is but a 'family'?

Many of them on benefits? Compared to what?

Allowed? Allowed?

Edited by NB Alnwick
  • Greenie 2

some strong opinons indeed!

i have always believed that are some liveaboards that do so because they regard it as an ideal lifestyle,i would count myself as very fortunate as i have resided on various vessels for nigh on 40 years.

i have met many like minded people on my travels.

i have also met people that live afloat for different reasons,sometimes financial restrictions are a major,but not always, a singular factor.

those that choose to live-aboard usually enjoy all the benefits that go with it.

those that are induced to live afloat by circumstance often come to grief sooner or later.

it will be interesting to see how this government proposal,,will effect the waterways.

some strong opinons indeed!

i have always believed that are some liveaboards that do so because they regard it as an ideal lifestyle,i would count myself as very fortunate as i have resided on various vessels for nigh on 40 years.

i have met many like minded people on my travels.

i have also met people that live afloat for different reasons,sometimes financial restrictions are a major,but not always, a singular factor.

those that choose to live-aboard usually enjoy all the benefits that go with it.

those that are induced to live afloat by circumstance often come to grief sooner or later.

it will be interesting to see how this government proposal,,will effect the waterways.

I agree:-)

My ghast is flabbered.

'family' ? What is thing? I know what a family but a 'family'?

Many of then in benefits? Compared to what?

Allowed? Allowed?

Why? Because I pay all the fees or because you don't agree with my posts? Best to ignore me then in that case.

Edited by NB Alnwick
section of quoted text removed.

Guest wanted

Just saw your intellectual reply. I pay over 4,000 pounds a year in mooring fees,BW licence, etc. I contribute to the upkeep and maintenance of the waterways and I love and respect every ounce of the sanctuary they provide. I have fully adopted and adapted to the 'boatie lifestyle' as it is known spending only 10% of time actually on my boat because the other 90% I am working 24/7.

According to recent reports, immigration to the UK is up by 21% this year, many of which are African criminals who can't be deported because of their Human Rights, (please do visit Downing Streets e petition site if you're interested in signing the campaign on having a referendum by the Daily Express to leave the EU.)

Obviously and as part of their Human Rights as deemed by the EU, they are in receipt of benefits and free housing, which the UK has run out of hence them now turning their somewhat urgent need to the idea of putting more and more people to live on the water.

When I retire at 80, because my pension has gone so I have to work this long, I thought I might like to live on my boat so I am now wondering exactly what nature of people may become my neighbours, and if the waterways will have lost it's tranquility owing to the possibility of the thug culture currently staying at the pleasure of HM after the riots, may require housing, (just one example). My question has absolutely nothing to do with the general issue of anyone in receipt of benefits.

I am genuinely concerned for the impact on the environment of the waterways and the effect it would take.

So now the neighbors from hell are African criminals! This is good, but I don't really know how to respond to this, I’ll leave you to wallow in your ignorance, one question though, how do you get all of those Diana plates to stay on the walls of your boat?

So now the neighbors from hell are African criminals! This is good, but I don't really know how to respond to this, I’ll leave you to wallow in your ignorance, one question though, how do you get all of those Diana plates to stay on the walls of your boat?

Sir, I am sorry if you have grievances with the wording in my posts. I suspect it's your normal daily activity to try and trip people up and twist their words. I am currently thanking the Lord that you are not my neighbour for I genuinely fear that I would have to remove several of my sacred Diana plates from my cabin and hurl them with great force in your direction. If you don't like my comments, tough. I am standing by them. A great many of us marina moored, fee paying serious boaters are already well and truly fed up of taking our boats out and not being able to moor in favoured spots because they are already in use. If the government now thinks they can solve their housing crisis by cluttering up the canalways further, then this is matter we all have a right on which to comment. End of.

If you happen to be passing my boat, please feel free to accquaint yourself so I can give you a sign of my enduring respect for someone such as your good self.

I trust you will now desist from commenting further on anything I have to say.