Entering Tunnels

Androo

Featured Posts

I've just passed through 3 tunnels recently being Preston Brook 1239 yds, Saltersford 424 yds and, Barnton 572 yds on the Bridgewater/Trent&Mersey.

As I've never been through a tunnel before I was given a really useful tip from an experienced boater.

As well as putting on the tunnel light put all the interior lights on. This will illuminate the sides of the tunnel which will give better vision for the sides.

It worked for me and I am grateful to the helpful person whoever you are...

As well as putting on the tunnel light put all the interior lights on. This will illuminate the sides of the tunnel which will give better vision for the sides.

Also - either close the rear doors or don't put on any lights that will illuminate part of the inside of the boat directly visible to the steerer, or else that will reduce your ability to see into the darkness beyond!

I've just passed through 3 tunnels recently being Preston Brook 1239 yds, Saltersford 424 yds and, Barnton 572 yds on the Bridgewater/Trent&Mersey.

As I've never been through a tunnel before I was given a really useful tip from an experienced boater.

It worked for me and I am grateful to the helpful person whoever you are...

Funny you should say this but we have just done the same three tunnels and I used to follow this advice in tunnels but I have found it easier with just the tunnel light on, the cabin lights on I found created all sorts of distracting patterns.

I guess it's what suits individuals.

I also have stared putting our rear cockpit light on - closing the rear door across it so it doesn't confuse following boats, I found it helped with the orientation of the boat.

Put on sunglasses before entering the tunnel and take them off when you go in.

Yep! that's another good tip.

Also, once inside the tunnel don't keep looking behind, (as I did) you get tunnel blindness:(if there is such a thing) :mellow:

Not me. As, I'm a new tunneller. I'm sure you were once..lol :rolleyes:

Just thought it was good advice for tunnel virgins :D

Well I suppose I'm an experienced tunneler (been through Standedge 7 times and all the other major tunnels at least once) and I don't put on my cabin lights. But what I do is MAKE SURE MY TUNNEL LIGHT IS POINTING UPWARD AT AN ANGLE OF AT LEAST 30 DEGREES. Sorry for shouting, but it both helps to illuminate the relevant bits, and just as importantly, avoids dazzling oncoming boats. (Not relevant in Standedge of course! :) )

Well I suppose I'm an experienced tunneler (been through Standedge 7 times and all the other major tunnels at least once) and I don't put on my cabin lights. But what I do is MAKE SURE MY TUNNEL LIGHT IS POINTING UPWARD AT AN ANGLE OF AT LEAST 30 DEGREES. Sorry for shouting, but it both helps to illuminate the relevant bits, and just as importantly, avoids dazzling oncoming boats. (Not relevant in Standedge of course! :) )

Fair point

No offence

MAKE SURE MY TUNNEL LIGHT IS POINTING UPWARD AT AN ANGLE OF AT LEAST 30 DEGREES.

Ours has no reflector behind it and is rather diffuse instead but I share the sympathy... Eejits pointing blinding spotlights in our eyes deserve big dents and sweary language!

Also - either close the rear doors or don't put on any lights that will illuminate part of the inside of the boat directly visible to the steerer, or else that will reduce your ability to see into the darkness beyond!

Apparently it helps if you use red bulbs or have red shades over the lights - that is what they once did on warships at night . . .

Apparently it helps if you use red bulbs or have red shades over the lights - that is what they once did on warships at night . . .

Red lights and sailors !!! That's a whole different topic lol

David

In Standedge you really do need the light to be almost horizontal - just slightly up, but only a few degrees. The first time I went through I made the mistake of setting it upwards at an angle of about 10 degrees and it merely illuminated the roof a couple of feet in front of the boat.

In any other tunnel, straight ahead is definitely NOT correct, but upwards towards the roof is not the only way to go. If you have a properly cut-off beam (as from a foglight) then gently downwards is an acceptable alternative which will not dazzle oncoming boaters, and is my preferred setting.

Another good tip is to realise that because the exit is narrower than the entry it'll pour out slower than you're filling it. This can result in a spillage.

Oh sorry I though we were discussing funnels. :blink:

An easy mistake to make...

Richard

:P

%27Titanic+on+the+Thames%27+Spooky+replica+of+doomed+ship%27s+funnel+appears+next+to+Tower+Bridge+1.jpg

Ours has no reflector behind it and is rather diffuse instead but I share the sympathy... Eejits pointing blinding spotlights in our eyes deserve big dents and sweary language!

As someone else has sort of pointed out, the headlight should be a foglight not a spotlight, so that a wide flat beam is projected which can be angled to give an arc of light around the whole tunnel roof.

George ex nb Alton retired

If you have a properly cut-off beam (as from a foglight) then gently downwards is an acceptable alternative which will not dazzle oncoming boaters, and is my preferred setting.

I disagree! I you were coming towards yourself in a tunnel you would be dazzled big time by the light reflecting off the water. You might as well just point it straight ahead and take the swearing!

I disagree! I you were coming towards yourself in a tunnel you would be dazzled big time by the light reflecting off the water. You might as well just point it straight ahead and take the swearing!

I agree....

The light just bounces off the water and dazzles oncoming boats... A dimmish one pointing forward and down a bit so the direct beam doesn't max the dazzle, cabin lights on for general diffuse lateral illumination, seems the optimum to me...

Nick

I can't understand why people have such powerful lights on their boats. You don't need to see miles in front of the boat. I have a FIVE watt bulb in my tunnel lamp (a reversing lamp as fitted to cars) and with it slightly angled upwards there is ample light, and it won't dazzle anyone.

Dave