Slooowww doooowneeee

DeanS

Featured Posts

Eaxctly so your description of them racing towards the bridge (4 boat lengths away according to yourself)with a tidal wave for a bow wave is highly likely to have been somewhat dramatised.

I didn't mention a bow wave and no it wasnt over dramatised. Its full speed ahead here up until the last possible moment then full speed astern. This is totally unnecessary and a sign of a bad boater. Thick as pig shit!!!

EDIT: this practice results in the bridge being bashed regularly which will result in a very evpensive repair £200,000 the last time.

Edited by Maffi

I am curious how you speeders know that a moored boat is a continuous moorer or if it hasn't just arrived there a couple of hours before you speed past.

Speeding, however slight it may be, causes damage to the banks and wildlife. For a long time there has been no money to repair all the collapsed banks caused by speeding, with the advent of the NWC there will be less money than before. Collapsed banks make it difficult to moor. Stop being assholes and start thinking about the canal and the wildlife. Here on the Oxford canal 4mph is not an option due to the width of the canal and its bottom being so very close to the top.

I have given up with those of you that break wash on the canal, you are not boaters. Owning a boat does not make you a boater. Operating a boat with due consideration for other boaters, the wildlife and the canal is what makes you a boater. If you have trouble doing that just maybe boating is not for you.

I moor on rings and I pride myself on my boat being properly moored, but even so, many of you dratsabs rock my boat out of all proportion to the width of the canal. You don't deserve the facility that so many have worked so hard to preserve. How dare you tell people to 'get a house', If you cannot show proper respect for the waterways environment you get a f*****g house.

Have a(nother) greeny!

We are big propped vintage engine tuggy types, but we can keep the speed down!

Yes, that was my point. Boats are allowed to go faster and there isn't quite the same sense of outrage when a boat does create a significant wash. Some people travel at reasonable speeds for the size of the waterway, while others go too fast and obviously break the 8 kph speed limit. So it's all relative, there are people who go too fast on the Thames too.

I realise that being a larger waterway the river can "absorb" much of that energy so it does less damage, but moored boats still move about and those onboard just have to deal with it. There are a few "slow down" shouters, but their anger is rarely directed at canal boats.

Having read this thread for some time this is the THIRD time I have read the term KPH, may I please complain and remind you all we are in the UK, Great britain England etc and the term is MPH not some foreign crap. I dont care what the silly signs written in Foreign measurements say on the poxy Thames pleeeeeeeeeeese remember we are a small group of islands and DEFINATELY NOT european thank god.

Please help to keep our identity and refrain from using such nonsensical terms thankyou. :)

I didn't mention a bow wave and no it wasnt over dramatised. Its full speed ahead here up until the last possible moment then full speed astern. This is totally unnecessary and a sign of a bad boater. Thick as pig shit!!!

EDIT: this practice results in the bridge being bashed regularly which will result in a very evpensive repair £200,000 the last time.

Who is to say who is a good or bad boater? Certainly not yourself.

Oh no they are not. Ex-working boats are pleasure boats and have to follow the same rules as the rest of us, Bolinder or no Bolinder

I was being ironic. However, the video I was commenting on showed working boats full of coal, not ex-working/pleasure boats.

Edited by blackrose

My reply garners LOTS of friends not a couple.

Our canal system is not the system it was. It is old, it is tired. It needs lots of TLC. We no longer rely on it to fuel the country's economy. It is a place where people go to relax, to get away from the hustle and bustle of life, to recharge their batteries.

My boat travels on tick-over very slowly and yet I have still been asked to slow down so I know people say SLOW DOWN just because they can.

Sorry I missed your reply, but here I am now.

As to your first line it seems as we can add greenies but not take them away.

Yes I agree with your next comment about our canal systems etc.

Where one person whishes to stay still, I wish to move and get to see many things. So something has to give, do the moored boaters winge at me for tickovering to fast or do I whine at them for staying moored for 48 weeks of the year. There is only one winner.

As you say people will moan, I think the phrase SLOW DOWN is injected into you when you buy a boat.

To teararse past any moored boat is wrong more so if it is occupied. But in my opinion to only visit your boat 4 weeks of the year, never move it and grumble because someone has gone by slightly faster than tickover is also wrong. (meet the sunshine boater).

Terence

Both of them ?

Must have been quite a squeeze on the Oxford! :rolleyes:

Could have been Shipton weir lock or Aynho weir lock. I was one of two boats in Shipton last time I went through. Saves time but as the purpose of the lock is to let water from river to canal I suppose it rather defeats the object of their unusual shape!

Nick

To teararse past any moored boat is wrong more so if it is occupied.

Ah the old "Oh, I didn't know you were on board" line.

Why on earth does it matter if somebody is on board?

If you pass a moored boat at speed, you will cause damage whether there is somebody on board or not, so the logical explanation seems to be that soome people think it is OK to do whatever you like as long as you don't get caught.

Could have been Shipton weir lock or Aynho weir lock.

:smiley_offtopic:

Not convinced you can get a pair of over 70 foot long boats in those locks, although have certainly shared them with two others ourselves.

Off topic I know, but can a full length pair be fitted ?

If you pass a moored boat at speed, you will cause damage whether there is somebody on board or not, so the logical explanation seems to be that soome people think it is OK to do whatever you like as long as you don't get caught.

Isn't that what I said? 'to teararse past a moored boat is wrong' or am I dreaming.

Terence

Ah the old "Oh, I didn't know you were on board" line.

Might.

Not convinced you can get a pair of over 70 foot long boats in those locks, although have certainly shared them with two others ourselves.

Can't find the damn picture...

Possibly. We can get Tawny Owl bow into the lower gate and swing the stern clear of the top gate entrance, so you may be able to do the same with another boat using the top gate

Richard

You then qualified it by saying that it is more wrong if the boat is occupied.

But it is more wrong if the boat is unoccupied. If it's unoccupied, the spring loaded pan of hot fat will twang harmlessly down the boat, instead of scalding to death the group of orphans that are normally huddled in the well deck.

But it is more wrong if the boat is unoccupied. If it's unoccupied, the spring loaded pan of hot fat will twang harmlessly down the boat, instead of scalding to death the group of orphans that are normally huddled in the well deck.

Does anyone know how to get blackcurrant cordial off a keyboard. I've just spat some out. :lol::cheers:

Looks terrifying :lol:

The moored boats moves the whole of about a quarter inch :banghead:

Its quite surprising, A boat like Kangaroo probably has less effect on a moored narrow boat than a passing canoe from Cropredy does. One weighs about 40 tons the other 40 Kg. B) B)

Most of the day I've had people dropping their speed from 100% to 40% and back to 100%. (40% being too fast anyway and still making the boat bounce. The best one today was the guy who slowed down before reaching our boat, but then opened full throttle while he was ALONGSIDE our boat...and then slowed right down again to a crawl 20m past out boat, so his wife could take a photo of the towpath. Rant over. Feel better now :)

On another note, we saw a swan with 6 swanlings (?) go past first thing this morning. It's been a fantastic day weatherwise.

We reckon to get at least one of these slow just before you, speed up right next to you, slow once past for reason unknown - like a bridge 300yds on each day. And its on the increase as once it was just the odd one.

I agree that using the centre line for mooring causes many problems.

I like the term swanlings; if we can have ducklings then why not swanlings?

we always have swans an swignets and moorhens (or coots) and blobs plus, of course ducks and duggerlings. Other things to feed are slurps (carp) and chocolate bonces (black headed gulls.

You are dead right there is no way you can get two full length boats in the two locks.

I think frigatecaptain could tell you a thing or two about speeding hireboats on the K&A.

This thread seems to have degenerated into few opinionated posters with no experience of mooring where I moor trying to tell me it's my fault speeding boats cause things to fall of my sideboards and cooker.

They way my boat's been hit in the past would have sunk your little tub, but I guess that would be your fault for not re-enforcing your sides with steel.

Errr actually I moored where you moor, for a year, without my boat being rocked about to any great degree. I sometimes used to find a loose or pulled out pin over a couple of days if the ground was very wet and soggy. Or are you saying that your kettle was knocked off by your boat being HIT? That would make sense.

I am curious how you speeders know that a moored boat is a continuous moorer or if it hasn't just arrived there a couple of hours before you speed past.

Speeding, however slight it may be, causes damage to the banks and wildlife. For a long time there has been no money to repair all the collapsed banks caused by speeding, with the advent of the NWC there will be less money than before. Collapsed banks make it difficult to moor. Stop being assholes and start thinking about the canal and the wildlife. Here on the Oxford canal 4mph is not an option due to the width of the canal and its bottom being so very close to the top.

I have given up with those of you that break wash on the canal, you are not boaters. Owning a boat does not make you a boater. Operating a boat with due consideration for other boaters, the wildlife and the canal is what makes you a boater. If you have trouble doing that just maybe boating is not for you.

I moor on rings and I pride myself on my boat being properly moored, but even so, many of you dratsabs rock my boat out of all proportion to the width of the canal. You don't deserve the facility that so many have worked so hard to preserve. How dare you tell people to 'get a house', If you cannot show proper respect for the waterways environment you get a f*****g house.

Well said that man! If I were allowed to, I would press the green button! (mods are not allowed this privilege)