RIP OFF ?

mrsmelly

Featured Posts

:wacko:

As a lifetime user and sometime landlord of the great british pub I am used to having to pay top money for my guinness in Oxfordshire...........BUT I am at present at Cropredy on my way north and when here usualy go to the better of the two village pubs the Brasenose but last night with a friend ventured ( For the last time ) I hasten to add into the Red Lion nearer to the canal, it never has been too good but we were charged £3.90 per pint !!!!!

Now that is extracting the urine. I hasten to add the pub remained virtualy empty in the 2 hours plus we were there and no wonder.

Please let me know if there are any pubs to avoid like this in your patch........ :(

• Greenie 1

Don’t know the pub you refer to but with all the pubs closing down I do think that in some cases the landlords are shooting themselves in the foot with over prices and scams like the one I was caught out with on Saturday night. I met with a couple of friends at the Swan and Bottle pub at Uxbridge and after having one over the limit walked home only to be faced with a £60 parking ticket on the windscreen the next morning. Perhaps I should have been more observant and realised the landlord has no respect for his customers, I did mention on the night that it was not as busy as I remember it and now I know greedy landlord.

I don't remember the Red Lion being as expensive as that (and it was packed when we last visited in August), was impressed with the Brazenose though.

But having paid £4.40 for a pint in the Hammersmith Apollo, (when we went to see Doug Stanhope on Saturday), I think you got a bargain! :cheers:

Having just paid 7.50 for a pint of pedigree and a large white wine in the newley re-opened dragon in willington I reckon they have had your eyes out (as in north east for you have been ripped off big style).

I don't remember the Red Lion being as expensive as that (and it was packed when we last visited in August), was impressed with the Brazenose though.

But having paid £4.40 for a pint in the Hammersmith Apollo, (when we went to see Doug Stanhope on Saturday), I think you got a bargain! :cheers:

yeah but it can be expensive when rocky knocks them back it soon mounts up ? in coventry basin wow what am i doing here......rocky woulld hate it?

You should come up here. I paid £2 a pint in the Sair Inn, Linthwaite, and the Commercial Inn, Slaithewaite. Each had a brewery next door, and a selection of 7 or 8 cask beers in perfect condition (at least the three different I had in each were in perfect condition).

There, doesn't that make you feel sick? :)

Mac

Edited to say I'm off to do some more sampling.

Edited by Mac of Cygnet

Had an overnight stay/trip to the North of the Forth last week and ventured into the bar of the Premier Inn I was staying at. Thought i would treat myself to a pint of Irelands finest and got a shock. (pleasant) £2.80 a pint. had to have another just to prove it wasn't a mistake.

Back on topic. Don't like the Red Lion in so much as a bit snobby for my liking, went into the Brasnose for the first time in the summer last year after five years of driving past and hinting at the wife, "i must go in there sometime". How disappointed was I....

I think it is/was in the process of changing hands. Was being run by 'I couldn't care less' youngsters.

Hey ho, will have to try them both again I suppose.

Martyn (edit as i repeated myself.)

Edited by Nightwatch

I know both pubs well. The Red Lion used to be great a decade or more ago. Now seems to be vertically inhabiting its own bottom. The Brasenose is great, and they get some fantastic music in there at times too - high quality players like Albert Lee for example.

We had an excellent time in the Brazenose, had a meal, did our laundry (you pay over the bar and there is a shed with washing machine and dryer), then we went back to a gig there the following night. The owner is a boater as are most of the bar staff.

Having just paid 7.50 for a pint of pedigree and a large white wine in the newley re-opened dragon in willington I reckon they have had your eyes out (as in north east for you have been ripped off big style).

But I bet that is approx £5.00 for the wine and £2.50 for the pedigree. Many times my good lady and myself have discussed the cost of a large glass of wine compared to a pint, they really do take the p*ss in many pubs on wine prices.

Edited by john6767

As a lifetime user and sometime landlord of the great british pub I am used to having to pay top money for my guinness in Oxfordshire...........BUT I am at present at Cropredy on my way north and when here usualy go to the better of the two village pubs the Brasenose but last night with a friend ventured ( For the last time ) I hasten to add into the Red Lion nearer to the canal, it never has been too good but we were charged £3.90 per pint !!!!!

Now that is extracting the urine. I hasten to add the pub remained virtualy empty in the 2 hours plus we were there and no wonder.

Please let me know if there are any pubs to avoid like this in your patch........ :(

Come on Timmy

They've only got your liver at heart.

It's not that far off that price at your old watering hole now. One of the reasons why not many of use frequent it any more (plus the fact that he's kicking us out at 10.30 now)

Keep on cruising..... You'll soon be up North

:cheers:

Makes my prices look reasonable :

Carling / John Smiths / Strongbow £2.60 pint

Bombardier / Guiness £3.00 pint

House Red / White 175ml (quarter of a bottle) £2.70

Spirits 35ml £2.30

Malt Whiskey's 35ml £2.60

A Landlord of one of the local pubs came with his darts team, ordered a Budweiser and gave me £4.00, I told him it was £1.80 and he said it costs him considerably more than that - He sells it at £3.60 - thats the difference between a tied house and a freehouse.

If the local Co-Op has something on offer we can just go and buy it, Tied houses pay a terrific premium for everything.

If it hasn't already I think it is in the process of changing hands. They live off the Fairport Convention I think.Must say it was always busy when I was there before Xmas. Just out of interest what was the price at the better pub I thought they both matched each other I quite like both pubs.

Edited to say was nice to see you yesterday.

Edited by cotswoldsman

Sounds to me like the sort of whinge I used to hear from Leicestershire folk . . .

Are you a 'chissit'?

If it hasn't already I think it is in the process of changing hands. They live off the Fairport Convention I think.Must say it was always busy when I was there before Xmas. Just out of interest what was the price at the better pub I thought they both matched each other I quite like both pubs.

Edited to say was nice to see you yesterday.

:cheers:

Nice to see you and Stan also, may see you in York one day if you get there next time ( Weather permitting ).......

The downside is it being too nippy to sit out for long on a summers evening (and before you shout at me - I'm from Yorkshire) :captain:

Yes Lady muck you is from just downt road from me so how the hell did you end up living in the big slum and paying their silly prices ?

you should know better !!!!!

As a lifetime user of the great British Pub I am heading into willington Saturday to the dragon, missus will drink pedigree as will I , kids will drink overpriced lemonade. We are going to try the food, if it's nice we will go back, if it's pricy it's back to the Fray bentos and wine box

it never has been too good but we were charged £3.90 per pint !!!!!

The pub wasn't too good and you were charged £3.90 per per pint, but you went there anyway................

As long as people are prepared to pay these ridiculous prices, thats what the Landlord will charge, you can't blame the Landlord.

Albert.

Having read this thread I'm wondering why it acceptable to name and shame pubs for high prices, bad service etc but a taboo to do the same to boat yards. No axe to grind just interesting init :mellow:

The pub wasn't too good and you were charged £3.90 per per pint, but you went there anyway................

As long as people are prepared to pay these ridiculous prices, thats what the Landlord will charge, you can't blame the Landlord.

Albert.

:mellow:

Who is this ANONIMOUS upstart !!! Did someone squeek.............. ;)

Edited by mrsmelly