NB Columba

Guest User

Featured Posts

Does anyone know much else about her ie fit out, engine etc?

Currently Dawn :

Under tug deck is the eberspacher , washing machine and storage.. down steps into saloon NO solid fuel stove into galley with side door to starboard

then into area which used to house double bed , this is now a storage area

through door into shower/loo

through door on stb side to engine room ( corridor is all on stb)

there is a stb door to back cabin which is unique in having the bed flap etc oversized to allow full walkway on stb side of boat

rest of back cabin is trad

All this is from memory from last time on board about 18 years ago BUT I would very much doubt anything had changed

Chris B

• 5 weeks later...

We ended up wandering along the canal at Uxbridge today, after the London banter, so naturally passed by Columba, (albeit is moored on the non-towpath side).

Some have said it has a lovely cabin profile, but I find it so hard to tell!

Two things, I think currently exaggerate the cabin height....

1) The absence of any wooden capping on the gunwales, effectively lowering the hull-sides at the expense of more visible cabin.

2) "Grab rails" in the same colour as the cabin-sides, the whole lot just being in rusting grey primer

The jury is out for me on whether if put into proper colour scheme, it would then look far more "right".

Do any pictures exist of the boat with the current cabin, but properly painted, rather than the wole think in "battleship" grey.

If time permits, I might try overlaying some pictures taken today on top of those of another Snall Woolwich, assuming I can find one taken from the same exact angles.

If this boat really is as neglected as it seems it must be, the asking price of offers over £37K must simply be in cloud cuckoo land?

Or does it's history really add that much value - I don't think I'd pay very much extra for the history!

There is an article about Sir John Knill in a very old WW which has Columba painted up in his livery (by far the nicest) but I cannot remember which issue (I bet Pete Harrison can though).

November 1986, pages 41 to 43.

I do not remember these editions, I just have a good filing system.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I was advised today Columba was sold recently. Moved to near Harefield.

Funny enough I just passed it. Wood Hall and Heward offside. Good luck to new owner who confirmed he just purchased it. Seen a few historic boats yesterday around same area. Tadworth, Gemini and Asterope.

Edited by mark99