NB Columba

Guest User

Featured Posts

Totally agree PJ. I thought it a terrible shame that the 1970's conversion was recently removed from 'Themis'.

Very few old conversions left now that I see out on the cut. The trend for converting back to impossibly shiny working trim seems unstoppable now dunnit.

Fully agree, said as much on here at the time.

The trouble is that for many of the conversions genuinely done in the 1970s, they would seldom have been steel, and were generally based on timber and Masonite, or even plywood, type construction. No doubt the wooden-top devotees will down on me like a ton of bricks, but even with fairly careful maintenance, not many 40 year old "wooden tops" converted in that manner have survived that well.

Themis' conversion was T&G with a plywood skin on hardwood frames (some obscure mahogany-like timber whose name escapes me).

I reskinned & repaired a lot of it when I owned the boat in the late 80's/ early 1990s, to the best of my knowledge Bob (the last owner before it was decabined) looked after the woodwork well including skinning with fibreglass-faced ply.

Tim

Edited by Timleech

Firstly it's "Columba" ;)

snip

EDITED TO ADD: Columba's conversion has already stated to be "late 80s", so not that old really is it ?....

Columbas present conversion was done by Roger Farringdon in 88/89, replacing another extended cabin that was done some time before. IIRC Columba has had an extended cabin on it for most of its life even when owned by JK

One of my favourite boats was IAN when moored in Aylesbury basin in the eighties. Elderly gent owned it (name on the tip of my tongue but won't come off) and the conversion was in wood in the form of an extended cabin, with a further section of the hold covered over with a cabin top but much glazed, rather like a conservatory. Gave the impression of a working boat as you could 'see' into what was the hold. Light and airy with some open fore end hold too.

YARMOUTH's old conversion was partially destroyed when a former owner jumped off a lockside onto the cabin top and ended up in the cabin. New skylight created. It got a curved steel top and ply sides pop riveted onto a steel box section framework. Sadly they left only two inches of gunnel, and no stiffening, so she spread quite a bit. Roger Farringdon and crew sorted it out with steel but we lost quite a bit of 'character' - some of it gladly but not all.

There's a fine line between expensive big boys toys and somewhere to live. You need a deep pocket to live on the bank and play boaters in any kind of boat, let alone an unconverted one. If you have the money - you have the choice. But it's all down to a money thing.

If your boat is your only home and you love ex working boats, then as age advances back cabins can be somewhat restrictive in the essentials. Arthur Itis knows all about that.

One of my favourite boats was IAN when moored in Aylesbury basin in the eighties. Elderly gent owned it (name on the tip of my tongue but won't come off) and the conversion was in wood in the form of an extended cabin, with a further section of the hold covered over with a cabin top but much glazed, rather like a conservatory. Gave the impression of a working boat as you could 'see' into what was the hold. Light and airy with some open fore end hold too.

YARMOUTH's old conversion was partially destroyed when a former owner jumped off a lockside onto the cabin top and ended up in the cabin. New skylight created. It got a curved steel top and ply sides pop riveted onto a steel box section framework. Sadly they left only two inches of gunnel, and no stiffening, so she spread quite a bit. Roger Farringdon and crew sorted it out with steel but we lost quite a bit of 'character' - some of it gladly but not all.

There's a fine line between expensive big boys toys and somewhere to live. You need a deep pocket to live on the bank and play boaters in any kind of boat, let alone an unconverted one. If you have the money - you have the choice. But it's all down to a money thing.

If your boat is your only home and you love ex working boats, then as age advances back cabins can be somewhat restrictive in the essentials. Arthur Itis knows all about that.

Bob Beere (and Madge) owned IAN whilst it was in Aylesbury. After he sold IAN he bought a new steel boat called IRON. I last saw him at Kings Sutton some years ago.

N

Edited by BEngo

Hi all

Slightly off the original topic...."Uranus", mentioned a few posts ago, is owned by my friend Paul Aldridge at Giggetty Wharf, Wombourne. It was converted at Norton Canes by Malcolm Braine at some time in the late 70s or early 80s. The butty stern went on to become the bow of Hineroa, another Braine boat still owned by Kiwi Roger O'Dea. Uranus was reskinned at Norton Canes by Graham Edgson and team in the early 90s, laying a steel top over the original wooden framing and planking. Subsequently it was painted at Hockley Port by Andy Oakley...he went on to paint at Norton Canes which drew me into the picture and later into sharing Resolute with Graham....apt, in that Malcolm Braine was my mentor and window into boats in the early 60s and soon afterwards I helped Tony Philips dock the gas boat Tay there prior to attending the Leicester Rally in '67...truly, things have gone full circle!!

Cheers

Dave

Hi all

Slightly off the original topic...."Uranus", mentioned a few posts ago, is owned by my friend Paul Aldridge at Giggetty Wharf, Wombourne. It was converted at Norton Canes by Malcolm Braine at some time in the late 70s or early 80s. The butty stern went on to become the bow of Hineroa, another Braine boat still owned by Kiwi Roger O'Dea. Uranus was reskinned at Norton Canes by Graham Edgson and team in the early 90s, laying a steel top over the original wooden framing and planking. Subsequently it was painted at Hockley Port by Andy Oakley...he went on to paint at Norton Canes which drew me into the picture and later into sharing Resolute with Graham....apt, in that Malcolm Braine was my mentor and window into boats in the early 60s and soon afterwards I helped Tony Philips dock the gas boat Tay there prior to attending the Leicester Rally in '67...truly, things have gone full circle!!

Cheers

Dave

Uranus was converted earlier than that (assuming the same boat?), at Preston Brook in the late 1960s, by its then owner (whose name escapes me for the moment, John ..?, later moved to Scotland). The conversion was damaged by fire when the Railway Shed with its canopy over the canal was burned down, I can't remember how bad the damage was to the boat but I seem to remember it was repaired.

Tim

Edited by Timleech

Returning to eaelier posts, I also agree that boats should be allowed to evolve, although this can be hard to reconcile with the expectation that we should be displaying something which is 'historically accurate' when we usually only have a few minutes to explain that history.

Bakewell has an early eighties cabin conversion, done by the then owner, one Rex Wain (a rare bit of Rex Wain steelwork indeed), but that itself has evolved, having been extended by the last owner. Bakewell does though have a wonderfully authentic and old back cabin.

Chertsey on the other hand has never been converted (so no deconversion dilemma there) although the cabin has evolved, having been rebuilt in solid oak planking in the early 70s and then skinned in steel in the early 80s. This does leave me with a problem when it comes to interior decor as I can't really see graining alongside varnished oak. I did have it all cream and dark green, but that seemed a bit chilly, so I am now experimenting with painting parts of the inside in the crimson that's used on the outside. It has been suggested that it will end up looking like a Turkish brothel, albeit one with chintz curtains, but that will be mu contribution to the boat's evolution.

Uranus was converted earlier than that (assuming the same boat?), at Preston Brook in the late 1960s, by its then owner (whose name escapes me for the moment, John ..?, later moved to Scotland). The conversion was damaged by fire when the Railway Shed with its canopy over the canal was burned down, I can't remember how bad the damage was to the boat but I seem to remember it was repaired.

Tim

I have the first conversion of URANUS as 1969/70, still as a full length boat and retaining both original fore end and stern end. I must confess that I thought URANUS to still be owned by Peter Froud when this conversion was carried out.

After several changes of owner URANUS was sold to Paul Aldridge in 1976 and then cut into two during 1977 when the fore end was converted to a counter sterned motor pleasure boat. The original stern became the fore end of the pleasure boat HINEROA the following year and both counter sterns and cabin conversions were completed by Malcolm E. Braine, Norton Canes.

I have the first conversion of URANUS as 1969/70, still as a full length boat and retaining both original fore end and stern end. I must confess that I thought URANUS to still be owned by Peter Froud when this conversion was carried out.

No, Peter had sold it by the time I first knew it, which would have been probably 1968.

Tim

This does leave me with a problem when it comes to interior decor as I can't really see graining alongside varnished oak.

Canis has an oak planked cabin, varnished inside, alongside graining, and it does look rather nice IMO. I must admit, the graining is a little dark for my liking, but due to how enormous the cabin is, she gets away with it (helped by the fact it has a BCN day cabin), although it might make a normal backcabin look a bit small.

Well build wooden cabins can last, 95% of mine is from 1980 and is still immaculate, with very few bits of rot on the outer skin. Would never dream of putting any steel on her, a true wooden cabin convert!

Totally agree PJ. I thought it a terrible shame that the 1970's conversion was recently removed from 'Themis'.

Very few old conversions left now that I see out on the cut. The trend for converting back to impossibly shiny working trim seems unstoppable now dunnit.

Three others apart from Columbus still extant spring to mind, 'Bournemouth', 'Lancing' (both at Burghfield on the K&A), and Trevor Council's butty 'Taurus' on the shroppie. And possibly 'Uranus' (on the S&W), although I suspect this conversion is a whole lot newer. VERY nicely done though to my untutored eye.

Is it time for a list of 1970s conversions still extant and worth preserving?

Mike

P.S. Sorely tempted by Columbus. Is one allowed to have three boats?

Of course there's ChrisB's ex boat Baldock. That still has it's full conversion, but I'm not sure of it's age (not that I believe it matters)

Of course there's ChrisB's ex boat Baldock. That still has it's full conversion, but I'm not sure of it's age (not that I believe it matters)

BALDOCK was still unconverted when sold by Foxton Boat Services Ltd. in 1990 - which makes it a modern conversion in my opinion (and a steel one at that) :captain:

• 1 year later...

With the amount of work that needs doing to the hull that is seriously overpriced

To be fair, do any of us actually know how much work needs to be done to the hull.

Darren

i would buy Tadworth, a bargain at just 30k.

If I had the money I'd certainly buy Tadworth, it's a lovely boat.

Darren

Three others apart from Columbus still extant spring to mind, 'Bournemouth', 'Lancing' (both at Burghfield on the K&A), and Trevor Council's butty 'Taurus' on the shroppie. And possibly 'Uranus' (on the S&W), although I suspect this conversion is a whole lot newer. VERY nicely done though to my untutored eye.

'Uranus' is not a recent conversion she was done by ME Brain in I think the 70's.

Hi

Uranus was indeed converted by Malcolm Braine for my friend Paul who keeps her at Giggetty Wharf, Wombourne. Malcolm built wooden tops on many boats, often cladding tongue and groove planking with Masonite.

Graham Edgson took over from Malcolm in 86 (he'd been his foreman for many years) and was building cabins out of steel. In the early 90s Paul took Uranus to Norton Canes where the team removed the outer cladding, leaving the planking intact and constructed a steel skin over it, a procedure known as reskinning. Certainly, it's a handsome boat.......Malcolm had an eye for fine lines and the Norton Canes reputation for top quality steelwork is well known by discerning boaters. My lettering sits at the back, I made and painted the deckboard for Paul in 2004.

Dave

Chertsey was down at Valencia Wharf, mostly full of water, since around 1981. it was towed to Tony Gregory's at Dimmingsdale and when we viewed it was again full of water and rotting leaves. The comment below,could most certainly be applied but we bought the boat at the viewing, un-surveyed and it just needed a little bit of work at the back end/under the engine and hey presto she was fine so unless you have xray eyes the only way to find out is to drag it out and have a proper survey - all the talk in the world will not make it either good or bad.

Go on Alan you know you want to.

With the amount of work that needs doing to the hull that is seriously overpriced

Edited by PaddingtonBear

Hi

Uranus was indeed converted by Malcolm Braine for my friend Paul who keeps her at Giggetty Wharf, Wombourne. Malcolm built wooden tops on many boats, often cladding tongue and groove planking with Masonite.

Graham Edgson took over from Malcolm in 86 (he'd been his foreman for many years) and was building cabins out of steel. In the early 90s Paul took Uranus to Norton Canes where the team removed the outer cladding, leaving the planking intact and constructed a steel skin over it, a procedure known as reskinning. Certainly, it's a handsome boat.......Malcolm had an eye for fine lines and the Norton Canes reputation for top quality steelwork is well known by discerning boaters. My lettering sits at the back, I made and painted the deckboard for Paul in 2004.

Dave

The biggest change was the arse end of her.

• 3 weeks later...

the extended cabin was on the boat when my father got it from the Dean and Son, he used it as an office.One of the 1st alterations apart from the colour scheme was to put the liner funnel on.

Can anyone tell me what issue of WW she was advertised in please?

Hi

Dave

If you read earlier posts in this thread, you will see that Uranus was first converted - as a butty with motor - in the late 1960s.

Tim

Sorry to disagree Darren

I would rather see Columba brought back to life and used regularly with the current conversion than yet another super shiny de-converted boat

Whilst JK owned it he part converted the hold..imo the current top is one of the nicest I have seen

If the eventual purchaser did de-convert then I hope it would have some regular loading

All this is just my view mate

Chris-B

the extended cabin was on the boat when my father got it from the Dean and Son, he used it as an office.One of the 1st alterations apart from the colour scheme was to put the liner funnel on.

Can anyone tell me what issue of WW she was advertised in please?