Who is the painter?

Speedwheel

Featured Posts

Hi all

I think that the handbowl is the work of my friend and colleague Phil Speight. It doesn't collate with examples I have here of Ron Hough or Nurser's work and brass trim suggests post working boat days manufacture, probably by AG Lester of Birmingham. The earlier work featured is similar to the painting of George Preston, but I can't identify the more modern painter - sorry!

Dave

Thank you, I'm similarly pleased to have something by Mr Speight. I bought it because I like it not because I was hoping for it to be something rare, mebbe Phil will pop on at some time and let us know x

Thank you, I'm similarly pleased to have something by Mr Speight. I bought it because I like it not because I was hoping for it to be something rare, mebbe Phil will pop on at some time and let us know x

I think it is a relatively modern piece because of the brass bits it contains.

Example's of Phil's castles certainly feature those unusual round windows that make me think of bird nesting boxes, (sorry, Phil!).

I think there is a fair chance, particularly having just had a look at some examples of his roses too.

I think it is a relatively modern piece because of the brass bits it contains.

Example's of Phil's castles certainly feature those unusual round windows that make me think of bird nesting boxes, (sorry, Phil!).

I think there is a fair chance, particularly having just had a look at some examples of his roses too.

I like the brass bits, I'll get 'em polished up nicely!

Definitely not Ron's work. I have quite a few bits of his painting here to compare with.

Agreed, I have a lot of work by Ron spanning more than thirty years and it is definitely not his work, Here are a few exampoles of Ron Hough's unique style:-

DoorPanel01a.jpg

MyStool08.jpg

helvetia%20bow.jpg

pigeonbox02jpg.jpg

CabinChest002.jpg

Edited by David Schweizer

• 1 month later...

GPO/BT engineers used to use the hand bowls (dippers) for melting lead to make joints on lead cables and use a moleskin to make the "wipe" with to join the cable to the joint sleeve. They had a second unofficial use in the back of the "gang wagon" when folks were "caught short"!!

Further to this I have recently managed to acquire a somewhat used GPO hand bowl.

dscf5763.jpg

dscf5764d.jpg

Edited by Ray T

Further to this I have recently managed to acaquire a somewhat used GPO hand bowl.

dscf5763.jpg

dscf5764d.jpg

That is virtually identical to the bowls used on the farm to scoop feed out for the cows, one bowl full per cow.

Edited by David Schweizer

In certain agricultural catalogues sometimes known as 'manure scoops'.

It always amazes me, with the amount of information available through a keypad, that so many people run away with superficial information combined with guesswork. I call the latter 'ignorance': baling; watering. As in bales of hay? Can be spelt without the 'i' but not in this context. That's architectural salvagers for you.

Edited to add:

To Ray's question; I guess you'd get from it whatever you put in it. What would you get for it? - Sympathy?

No offence meant.

Edited by Derek R.

In certain agricultural catalogues sometimes known as 'manure scoops'.

Edited to add:

To Ray's question; I guess you'd get from it whatever you put in it. What would you get for it? - Sympathy?

No offence meant.

Derek, no offence taken. The Jar offers nothing to canal heritage. My suggestion regarding its value was very much tongue in cheek. We bought it from "That 70's Boat". It is very much as Tony Lewrey refers "The souvenir disease".

I think it is aimed at the gongoozeler market as the boat which sells these "artifacts" is often at areas where the general public go to watch the boats.

I think it took the "artist" all of 10 minutes to paint it.

I feel it's sad that unknowing folks buy things like this thinking they are canal art.

Edited by Ray T

We bought it from "That 70's Boat". It is very much as Tony Lewrey refers "The souvenir disease".

I hope you didn't pay as much for it as either that "Baling Pan" or that "Watering Can", though, Ray!

We bought it from "That 70's Boat"....

...I think it's sad that unknowing folks buy things like this thinking they are canal art.

At least some learn from their mistakes.

Your authentic "boat-horse's biscuit jar" is far better than the painted wooden spoon my sister got me one christmas, though, and those painted black plastic trugs (£1.99 from Wilkos) make me want to get my catapult out.