Who is the painter?

Speedwheel

Featured Posts

Hi Mark, pure conjecture, but as shields were a common heraldic device, and with the already established 'connection' with castles, I would guess it's a fairly natural avenue to follow. Though there may be some significance I know nothing of.

I wonder if the Poplar tinware shop was the origin of Bocock.

Derek

Hi Mark, pure conjecture, but as shields were a common heraldic device, and with the already established 'connection' with castles, I would guess it's a fairly natural avenue to follow. Though there may be some significance I know nothing of.

I wonder if the Poplar tinware shop was the origin of Bocock.

Derek

Barlow`s had a shield on the cabin slide. Ron, being a Barlow`s painter, often put the same device on can spouts. Others copied it. It`s definately a Ray Dunsford can by the way - although I don`t know who painted the one that started this stream. Not Crowshaw that`s for sure.

McCheers

Phil

All will be revealed in good time I am just waiting for Alan Fincher to wade in, I am sure he knows who painted it.

By the way what does FBS stand for?

sorry david i seem to have missed this thread for a while

as others have already said yes i meant Foxton/mary matts

the clue is in my signature!! :lol:

There has been some talk on here (maybe a diffewrent thread??) about thge work of Joe Harrison.

joeharrison001.jpg

joeharrison002.jpg

The above is definitely (100% sure) Joe Harrison's work, if you wanmt a compoarison.

Edited by antarmike

Thanks to Derek mentioning the name on another thread - I am 99% sure the can came from Alf Best (also via Ian Tyler), could he have painted it?

Ian did have some Alf Best Cans, I remember that much, but if this is one of them, that I can't say.

What beautiful artifacts, I love 'em, may upset some on this forum though!!!

Sorry I'm being naughty!!!

I will second your comment ray t

it must have taken a lot of time & skill,but well worth the effort.

a skill iv never been able to get right myself so i admire anyone who can paint as good as these.

jeannette

GPO/BT engineers used to use the hand bowls (dippers) for melting lead to make joints on lead cables and use a moleskin to make the "wipe" with to join the cable to the joint sleeve. They had a second unofficial use in the back of the "gang wagon" when folks were "caught short"!!

It's a scoop. I've seen them listed in one agricultural catalogue as 'Manure scoop', though as Mark has said, a greater use would be for dishing up feed as well as water from a sump.

The base is flat - no rim to stand on, which makes the decorated bottom vulnerable to damage when set down - that's pretty obvious when you compare it to the previous picture of a hand bowl. Mrs. Peters recalled they were called 'arnbowls' by boatees in the forties. Can't dispute that, though it may have been a little vernacular slipping in there. Nicely painted anyhow, big full blossoms.

So who painted that one Mark?

Derek

Edited by Derek R.

Can you still buy these,I have one that says "spillers cattle cubes" on the bottom.Have considered getting another without writing. i find it usefull for hand washing

Yes - most agricultural feed type places do them.

So who painted that one Mark?

No idea. It is one of mums - don't know where it came from (don't think she does either). I particularly like the roses.

big full blossoms.

You can't beat some big full blossoms!

Edited by Speedwheel

I've found;

"General Hardware, Stoves, Tinware, etc. also Mortgages, Loans, ... G. W. Bocock, M. D. Merchant and Real Estate. Estab. 1876. P.O. Matfield Green."

but that's in Kansas! Perhaps he had relatives in the UK whose later offspring produced tinware.

"162 High Street Poplar (Hill, dealer in tinware oil and colours) ...... Insured: Thomas Holbrook, Thomas Hill, Thomas Willett, James Bocock Holbrook and ..."

- any further details Laurence?

Boccock & Co were in either Barford st or Bishop st (both are parallel and my memory is vague!) in B5 Birmingham (just near the wholesale markets). They closed down around 1980 ish and some work was taken on by Davey & Co from Essex, they still have my outstanding order for 25 Masthead lamps with plain glass, somehow I think thats its not going to arrive! Bococks and W T George were manufacturers of various lamps and holloware, both made hand bowls and cans. Tha largest can manufacturer was Joseph Ash & Co just a stones throw away in digbeth.

Edited by Laurence Hogg

• 4 months later...

I looked online for the feed scoops but they are now all nasty plastic ....ok for hen food but not what I want.So unless I spot one cheap at a rally somewhere or maybe swap one for a rag mat when Ive made some new stock I will just have to take real good care of the cattle cake scoop.

• Greenie 1