Who is the painter?

Speedwheel

Featured Posts

I looked online for the feed scoops but they are now all nasty plastic ....ok for hen food but not what I want.So unless I spot one cheap at a rally somewhere or maybe swap one for a rag mat when Ive made some new stock I will just have to take real good care of the cattle cake scoop.

Ta da

I looked online for the feed scoops but they are now all nasty plastic ....ok for hen food but not what I want.So unless I spot one cheap at a rally somewhere or maybe swap one for a rag mat when Ive made some new stock I will just have to take real good care of the cattle cake scoop.

clicky

That's 2 for you

Edited by Graham_Robinson

• 2 months later...

Has the glass been replaced? They're usually dioptic lenses.

Not always, plain lenses were cheaper.

I've got an old Davey's catalogue somewhere, I'm pretty sure it lists both styles. If I can find it I'll post some info from it.

We had a stern oil light very much like that one on the Beecliffe, with a plain lens.

Tim

Edited by Timleech

Hi all

Just picked this up....I'm fairly certain that th nose bowl painting is the work of Trevor Counsell,a long term painter who lives and works around the Norbury area of the Shroppie. He currently signwrites and decorates for Norbury Wharf and used to paint at Norton Canes. Trevor apparently based his work on the painting of Ted Chetwynd; Ted inspired me to dabble as ateenager in the 60s!

Cheers

Dave

Hi all

Just picked this up....I'm fairly certain that th nose bowl painting is the work of Trevor Counsell,a long term painter who lives and works around the Norbury area of the Shroppie. He currently signwrites and decorates for Norbury Wharf and used to paint at Norton Canes. Trevor apparently based his work on the painting of Ted Chetwynd; Ted inspired me to dabble as ateenager in the 60s!

Cheers

Dave

Hi all

Cheers

Dave

Hi all

Cheers

Dave

Many thanks Dave. I have some lovely pictures of Malcolms with Ted in them.

Stern navigation lamp, shirley?

Tim

Quite possibly. Both it and the nose tin turned up at mums when we were sorting the house out ready for her to move. God knows what else we are going to find.

Edited by Speedwheel

Many thanks Dave. I have some lovely pictures of Malcolms with Ted in them.

Quite possibly. Both it and the nose tin turned up at mums when we were sorting the house out ready for her to move. God knows what else we are going to find.

I don't think 'possibly' comes into it ;)

Tim

I don't think 'possibly' comes into it ;)

Tim

Fair enough :D

Trevor Counsell......... used to paint at Norton Canes.

Thinking about it, I think this came from my uncle after he sold the Union Jack (Egypt). He bought this from Norton Canes so it probably came with the boat.

Is it Trevor who lives just North of Norbury Junction? If it is who I am thinnking of, he does some very nice sign writing.

Edited by Speedwheel

• 1 month later...

There has been some talk on here (maybe a diffewrent thread??) about thge work of Joe Harrison.

joeharrison001.jpg

joeharrison002.jpg

The above is definitely (100% sure) Joe Harrison's work, if you wanmt a compoarison.

As a tribute to Joe i am attatching this anouncment to this thread on one of his paintings.

It is with a heavy heart & great sadness that I have to anounce

Robert Joseph Harrison know to several of you on this forum as Joe Harrison

A working canal boatman,Canal painter & also worked for many years @ Wyvern Shipping

Linslade Leighton Buzzard.

after a short illness has now passed on to the great cut in the sky.

A true Gentleman who loved to tell tales of his life on the cut up to the very end.

God bless you Joe

• Greenie 2

• 3 weeks later...

watercan.jpg

A recent purchase from Ebay and still on its way to me so sorry for poor image. All the vendor knows is it was bought secondhand at the Braunston Show a couple of years ago. It certainly looks Braunston-style to me but does anyone have an idea of the painter?

Many thanks,

Paul

Hi

I'm 99% certain that the can is the work of Sue Woodward, an accreditted Journeyman in the Waterways Craft Guild. Sue usually has a stand at Crick, I think it's "Sue's Roses and Castles". She lives canalside at Long Buckby, or did when I last spoke to her. Nice work and lovely lady. Hope this helps.

Cheers

Dave Moore

Hi

I'm 99% certain that the can is the work of Sue Woodward, an accreditted Journeyman in the Waterways Craft Guild. Sue usually has a stand at Crick, I think it's "Sue's Roses and Castles". She lives canalside at Long Buckby, or did when I last spoke to her. Nice work and lovely lady. Hope this helps.

Cheers

Dave Moore

Thanks Dave - I'll have to seek her out as I usually moor just down the cut. I suspected the can was modern (from the condition if nothing else) but the painting is more understated than most around today - which I like. I'm hoping the can will be a good British-made job as well - we'll have to see.

Incidentally I couldn't see her on the Waterways Craft Guild website. I suspect it's a bit out of date.

And good to know that I can actually call it a Buckby can!

Paul

Edited by Paul H

How about this one (has just sold on eBay)? Looks like Rons work to me. Nice can.

EbayCan.jpg

Definitely mister Hough. (don't you already have a Can painted by Ron?)

£195 in my eyes as a business man far too much. Put on my glasses - and for such a superb example of a Water Can and painted by a well respected painter £195 doesn’t look too bad at all.

Terence

Definitely mister Hough. (don't you already have a Can painted by Ron?)

£195 in my eyes as a business man far too much. Put on my glasses - and for such a superb example of a Water Can and painted by a well respected painter £195 doesn’t look too bad at all.

Terence

What qualifies it as a 'great bit of tinsmithing/superb example of a water can?

Looks like a perfectly ordinary southern-style can, granted nobody seems to be making them any more, & the picture (which may be lying) even suggests that it's been made a bit crooked, bottom not parallel to top and conical shape leaning to one side!

Tim

What qualifies it as a 'great bit of tinsmithing/superb example of a water can?

Looks like a perfectly ordinary southern-style can, granted nobody seems to be making them any more, & the picture (which may be lying) even suggests that it's been made a bit crooked, bottom not parallel to top and conical shape leaning to one side!

Tim

Here we go round the mulberry bush, the mulberry bush, the mulberry bush.

I myself was only referring to the Artwork as Superb. But nonetheless, what one person sees as a great bit of tinsmithing and another doesn't that's the greatness of opinion. I myself happen to agree with Paul as no one is making this style any more and having seen them being made by a skilled craftsman it looks pretty good to me.

Terence