Who is the painter?

Speedwheel

Featured Posts

• 1 month later...

Well not a question as to who painted them as I have just picked them up from the artist, but thought people might like too see my lastest bits. Not tradtional but just for fun.

First an oil can.

RIMG0008-2.jpg

RIMG0007-2.jpg

RIMG0006-2.jpg

Second a handbowl.

RIMG0009.jpg

RIMG0010-1.jpg

RIMG0012.jpg

RIMG0011.jpg

Final picture is on the bottom of the handbowl. WARNING it is rude.... very rude some might say. Click at your own risk!

Well not a question as to who painted them as I have just picked them up from the artist, but thought people might like too see my lastest bits. Not tradtional but just for fun.

Brilliant, just brilliant - is the the road runner nickamed "Robin"? ([H}E[A]vans above,..... just brill!

I bought my painted 3 gallon one on eBay for less than the price of an unpainted one.

It looks almost identical to the one on this site where you can buy unpainted in all three sizes as well.

That stuffs all Chinese and Indian sourced, needent say any more!!

Edited by Laurence Hogg

• 1 year later...

I've just been lucky enough to wun this stool on Ebay. I think I know who the painter might be but I'd appreciate other peoples ideas to confirm I'm right. Clue: it was painted pre-1960. So any thoughts folks? Stool001-1.jpg ">Stool002-1.jpgStool005-1.jpg Paul

Edited by Paul H

Working now. Very nice. How did I not spot that!

ETA: I don't know who painted it but I'm interested to find out. There are a number of details that are very similar to someone elses painting. I wonder if it was someone he knew.

Edited by Speedwheel

I've just been lucky enough to wun this stool on Ebay. I think I know who the painter might be but I'd appreciate other peoples ideas to confirm I'm right. Clue: it was painted pre-1960. So any thoughts folks? Stool001-1.jpg ">Stool002-1.jpgStool005-1.jpg Paul

Paul,

This looks like Jess Owen to me its style is very similar to a stool I own (that TWT have currently lost) but I have photos of it, roses look near identical.

Its not George Crowshaw is it?

Ray Dunsford was a painter of everything frm baccy tin lids to traditional boatman's wooden spoons by way of cans, handbowls and stools. Some at least of his output went for sale to raise money for the IWA and other good canal causes. Other items he sold whilst boating extensiveley in the 80's in a 45'? boat called Albion. We first met him at Battlebridge and were rapidly persuaded to take Oak to Limehouse to make up the numbers for a London Ring trip the following day. Not sure of the year though- probably 83 because I think Blisworth was still shut.

He passed on some time ago I think, after a long period of illness.

N

I went to look at his boat Ellington with a view to buying her. I still have a bell painted by him in the back cabin, as he would say "a bit of tat" He was a strong believer in sign writing and not stick on letters.

Hi

I've just picked this up. Braunston style painting for certain and a fine example of proper dockyard painting. I don't have a certain identification but agree with suggestions so far. The split turret in the landscape was a characteristic Jess Owen feature tho' the roses differ slightly to the ones on a can I once owned that was a sample of his work. They have more in common with George Crowshaw ( I have some here at home ) but then all painter's work changes over time. Tony Lewery reckoned that Owen's roses flattened out in latter days so they may well have looked different to the example I know. I'll have another look and perhaps post again. It would be interesting to hear the OP's opinion.

Style changes make it hard sometimes to make a positive ID. I have a small watercan that Phil and I think is the work of Frank Nurser but Malcolm Braine thinks to be early Ron Hough ( who was taught by Nurser). The daisies are identical to those on a Nurser can here at home, so I dunno! I suppose I'd better show Ron and ask him. I've recently been working on the josher Crane at Warwick Fly. The table cupboard there is, I think, very early Ron but it's a far cry from later work and again a tea tray by him from the 50's/early60's is different to his current style but with obvious roots. All of us change with time. I recently met with stuff I painted 25 years or so ago and was appalled!! Fortunately it needed redoing so the boat in question now carries my current lettering and decoration, not the earlier crud!

Cheers

Dave

I'd missed this post, so thanks to George for spotting it & letting me know. I'm no painting expert but I'm pretty sure the can mentioned & bought by Jane Selkirk was painted by Bill Hodgson who's knobstick style Jane paints in.

Cheers, Brian

First an oil can.

RIMG0008-2.jpg

RIMG0007-2.jpg

RIMG0006-2.jpg

Second a handbowl.

RIMG0009.jpg

RIMG0010-1.jpg

RIMG0012.jpg

RIMG0011.jpg

Final picture is on the bottom of the handbowl. WARNING it is rude.... very rude some might say. Click at your own risk!

Some fine work from Roy.

Hi

I've recently been working on the josher Crane at Warwick Fly. The table cupboard there is, I think, very early Ron but it's a far cry from later work and again a tea tray by him from the 50's/early60's is different to his current style but with obvious roots. All of us change with time.

Cheers

Dave

Although I have not seen it could CRANE's table cupboard have been painted by Dennis Clarke who I understand was also Nurser trained and had a long association with CRANE under Willow Wren ? This could explain the similarity to Ron Hough's work.

Hi

I've just picked this up. Braunston style painting for certain and a fine example of proper dockyard painting. I don't have a certain identification but agree with suggestions so far. The split turret in the landscape was a characteristic Jess Owen feature tho' the roses differ slightly to the ones on a can I once owned that was a sample of his work. They have more in common with George Crowshaw ( I have some here at home ) but then all painter's work changes over time. Tony Lewery reckoned that Owen's roses flattened out in latter days so they may well have looked different to the example I know. I'll have another look and perhaps post again. It would be interesting to hear the OP's opinion.

Style changes make it hard sometimes to make a positive ID. I have a small watercan that Phil and I think is the work of Frank Nurser but Malcolm Braine thinks to be early Ron Hough ( who was taught by Nurser). The daisies are identical to those on a Nurser can here at home, so I dunno! I suppose I'd better show Ron and ask him. I've recently been working on the josher Crane at Warwick Fly. The table cupboard there is, I think, very early Ron but it's a far cry from later work and again a tea tray by him from the 50's/early60's is different to his current style but with obvious roots. All of us change with time. I recently met with stuff I painted 25 years or so ago and was appalled!! Fortunately it needed redoing so the boat in question now carries my current lettering and decoration, not the earlier crud!

Cheers

Dave

Thanks Dave, I was hoping you'd pop in!

I'm no expert on canal painting but I do probably have every book and magazine article about it!

I believe my stool was painted in Braunston for the souvenir trade. It had been in the same (quite posh) family's hands since at least 1960 and as they had no boating connection I would guess they bought it in Heal's in London which was apparantly an outlet for the Braunston painters established by Tom Rolt. I think the small drawer in the stool is much more typical of this sort of use in any case

I find it hard to positively identify the painter of the roses. It could be Frank Nurser as his style seemed to change quite a bit over the years or it could have been one of his apprentices. The castle is however much more distinctive and unlikely to be Nurser, While it could be Jess Owen, a cabin door at Brinklow known to be by him is very different to my eyes. My leaning is towards George Crowshaw because the red roofs onthe castle turrets seem much more like his work influenced as he was by his apprenticeship at Lees and Atkins.

Something I don't want to even start thinking about is that the Braunston painters had a bit of a production line going and the roses and the castle are by a different hand!

The stool whilst mostly very well preserved has acquired a dullness and at present I intend to clean it carefully with meths and then give it a cost of real yacht varnish to bring out the colours and protect it. Is this a sensible thing to do? I'd appreciate any advice.

Paul

Hi Paul

Thanks for sharing the provenance so far. Like you, I discount Nurser as the castle painter and the roses are decidedly Crowshaw-ish, though one of the Clarkes could be a contender, maybe.

Your suggestion of more than one painter's work is, to me, a real possibility. I've no direct knowledge of who painted what for Heals, maybe Ron would shed some light on that situation but a production line may well have been an option, especially considering that the end product was intended for an anonymous, non boating owner. I don't paint for the souvenir trade but if I were doing so I'd have few scruples about others doing work to speed up output. I don't think that this "hybrid" possibility makes the item less valuable as a piece of historic work, in some ways more interesting!!

As to preservation....your call entirely. Tony Lewery once advised me to preserve some old work with artist's picture varnish. This can be easily removed if necessary at a later date. The old patina wouldn't worry me at all, part of the integral character of the piece in many ways.

Not sure where you're based but it would be nice to view the stool in reality. I'm in the West Mids and currently have a lot of old stuff here for comparitive purposes - it's a combination of my collection and Phil's.

I hope that the plural possibility doesn't cause apoplexy!!

Cheers

Dave