Who is the painter?

Speedwheel

Featured Posts

Hi Paul

Thanks for sharing the provenance so far. Like you, I discount Nurser as the castle painter and the roses are decidedly Crowshaw-ish, though one of the Clarkes could be a contender, maybe.

Your suggestion of more than one painter's work is, to me, a real possibility. I've no direct knowledge of who painted what for Heals, maybe Ron would shed some light on that situation but a production line may well have been an option, especially considering that the end product was intended for an anonymous, non boating owner. I don't paint for the souvenir trade but if I were doing so I'd have few scruples about others doing work to speed up output. I don't think that this "hybrid" possibility makes the item less valuable as a piece of historic work, in some ways more interesting!!

As to preservation....your call entirely. Tony Lewery once advised me to preserve some old work with artist's picture varnish. This can be easily removed if necessary at a later date. The old patina wouldn't worry me at all, part of the integral character of the piece in many ways.

Not sure where you're based but it would be nice to view the stool in reality. I'm in the West Mids and currently have a lot of old stuff here for comparitive purposes - it's a combination of my collection and Phil's.

I hope that the plural possibility doesn't cause apoplexy!!

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave, Don't live too close but am often around Brinklow and Braunston. But I'd love to see " the museum" some time. I sold Phil a Frank Jones table flap about 4 years ago and regretted it ever since!

Paul

• 2 months later...

Someone been practicing cabbages on a tin plate?

Good effort. A boatman's hand?

Still better looking than my squashed bumble bee's. Canal art was the one thing that didnt come

in my blood.

Have you noticed how in the working boatmans time almost all painters of the fine artwork where men &

looking @ some pictures of the rough & ready boatmen it seems hard to imagin them capable of such delicate painting

The free flowing brush strokes come with repeated practice.

Jeannette mentions the men painted in the main, but how about all those bits of lace, crochet, and curtain making - not to mention dress making and such, definitely the woman's touch to the fore in that area.

Having said that, I was busy sewing up a hole in my pocket this-morning!

Make and mend - watchwords from previous generations, largely out of necessity but worth carrying on. Like pen and ink letter writing!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all

I think that the handbowl is the work of my friend and colleague Phil Speight. It doesn't collate with examples I have here of Ron Hough or Nurser's work and brass trim suggests post working boat days manufacture, probably by AG Lester of Birmingham. The earlier work featured is similar to the painting of George Preston, but I can't identify the more modern painter - sorry!

Dave