Who is the painter?

Speedwheel

Featured Posts

I would go with the Frank Jones as the painter but £440 for a can that isn't primarily a canal can? That's a "Jersey" can farmers used to use, some had complete removable tops and others like this one a half lid. These cans survived in manufacture into the late 1970's in Birmingham.

For a can that has all the common features of a canal water can; half lid; hinged flap over the spout; handles in the usual place, and clearly painted a long time ago in the style of the canal painters - why should it be not primarily a canal can?

Blessed if I can find any reference to any farmers jersey can anywhere. Do tell.

£440! That's a months pension . . .

Edited by Derek R.

For a can that has all the common features of a canal water can; half lid; hinged flap over the spout; handles in the usual place, and clearly painted a long time ago in the style of the canal painters - why should it be not primarily a canal can?

Blessed if I can find any reference to any farmers jersey can anywhere. Do tell.

£440! That's a months pension . . .

Google Guernsey and Jersey milk cans, the Guernsey was evolved into a decorative copper piece where the Jersey was an adapted version of a boatmans can. We had the last few out of Bococks in George st Birmingham before they shut down, they were a roughly a 2 gallon can, no centre ribbing with a domed lift of top, the handle and spout were as the boatmans can. Havent any pics of these sadly, they were also refered to as "creamers".

edited to add: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Antique-brass-copper-water-pitcher-or-milk-can-with-swing-handle-Looks-English-/251461642778?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a8c482a1a#ht_98wt_1428

Edited by Laurence Hogg

Hi all

The over priced can is almost certainly the work of Frank Jones, I have several pieces here as comparators. Regarding price, the situation seems to be that an old piece is worth whatever anyone is willing to pay. I've heard of Frank Nurser work changing hands for somewhat more, I recall Phil returning from an auction where the winning bid was around the £600 mark, not an amount I'd be personally willing to pay!

The other oldish can reminded me of the work of " Young " Charlie Atkins, but I'd have to dig out pictures before being more definite.

Cheers

Dave

Google Guernsey and Jersey milk cans, the Guernsey was evolved into a decorative copper piece where the Jersey was an adapted version of a boatmans can. We had the last few out of Bococks in George st Birmingham before they shut down, they were a roughly a 2 gallon can, no centre ribbing with a domed lift of top, the handle and spout were as the boatmans can. Havent any pics of these sadly, they were also refered to as "creamers".

edited to add: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Antique-brass-copper-water-pitcher-or-milk-can-with-swing-handle-Looks-English-/251461642778?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a8c482a1a#ht_98wt_1428

Well that little thing was only six inches tall, and sold in the States thought to be "English", and probably was.

Granted, there's no centre band, but it still looks like a boatmans water can to me -

Other than that, no joy so far:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Guernsey+%26+Jersey+milk+cans&newwindow=1&client=firefox-a&hs=2yg&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=sb&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=0OhXU-iPL-mR1AXUjIFo&ved=0CEsQsAQ&biw=1291&bih=789#channel=sb&newwindow=1&q=Jersey+milk+cans&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&tbm=isch

http://guernseydonkey.com/?p=7117

http://www.oldcopper.org/guernsey.htm

unsure.png

Its certainly in the Braunston style but I don't think it is from one of the old professionals, more like someone striving to immitate them. The roses look similar to those on a tunnel lamp I've got which was painted by Andy Ibbotson (sp?) who worked for Union Canal Carriers in the 1970s.

Why don't you PM Mr Speight?

Paul H

Mr. Speight don`t have a clue ! If the red and black one is by Ray Dunford it`s unlike any other example of his work I`ve ever seen. I knew him quite well and painted his last boat for him. It was actually "Ellington " without the "Duke" bit and was painted black and tan which was apparently a Ray Ellington tune. The other can is not, I think, from a professional painter - at least not one of the old dock painters. Go on - make me feel a right prat now !

• 6 months later...

Yes I had my eye on that. A lovely old rounded bowl by Frank Nurser if I'm not mistaken but the prices these old cans go for nowadays is way out of my reach. I can't believe whoever got it will ever put it on a cabin top or even a boat.

Interesting that these old handbowls have the castle the other way up from later on. I suspect they predate the practice hanging of them over the range and were meant to be appreciated lying on the cabin top in front of the water can with handle towards you.

Paul

Edited by Paul H

There appears to be no rhyme or reason as to costs.

This can sold today for £14.99.

Wasn't me BTW.

$_57.JPG

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/buckby-barge-art-water-carrier-/381038688247?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=CMQXmqCDPmS4AqpdmXgtfNJfnZU%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Edited by Ray T

It's not brass of course.

These were mass produced castings, but they are bronze.

It was probably made in the early-ish 1970s, I would say - that's certainly when I bought the one I have.

Blimey, I would willingly had that - but of course me (or anybody else) entering the bidding could guarantee someone paid a whole lot more.

Not classic painting, (but by no means as bad as many!), but even as a can to repaint it was clearly a bargain.

I'm wondering if the apparent absence of the word "can" in the listing is why many people may have failed to spot it?

Is she in the picture?

No not in that photo but I have one with my nans parents looking out of the back hatches.

Darren

E t a. current bun the seller puts a few scanned photos on eBay of interesting canal photos so put him on your favourites list.

Edited by ChimneyChain

It's not brass of course.

These were mass produced castings, but they are bronze.

It was probably made in the early-ish 1970s, I would say - that's certainly when I bought the one I have.

Its a "Boatman's Cabin Co" one which I produced in the 1980's and 90's the foundry was Spooner castings of Wolverhampton that actually made them, they are LG2 gunmetal bronze.

• 4 months later...