Who is the painter?

Speedwheel

Featured Posts

• 4 months later...

Hi all

I had a call from a customer recently. He has just acquired an old water can and diligent cleaning revealed the fine decorative painting beneath the grime. It's Braunston style work certainly, though I'm not certain of the painter who produced it. I'd be interested to hear from folk who may have opinions.....

Cheers

Dave

post-3041-0-01027100-1455816087_thumb.jpeg

post-3041-0-75822000-1455816116_thumb.jpeg

post-3041-0-35182300-1455816153_thumb.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

I'm afraid we are no further forward with the identity of the painter from the previous post. I've looked again, spoken with others who are most knowledgeable in this field.....Frank Nurser is the most frequent contender, though all agree it's not his normal output. Whoever painted is was certainly experienced, there is a vitality and confidence in all of the brush strokes. Might it, I wonder, be the work of an as yet unknown painter? I had rather hoped that someone here may have seen something similar.

If any readers are intending to go to the Historic AGM next weekend, it will be there to view in the flesh ( tin? ). As before, all thoughts welcome....

Dave

Hi all

I'm afraid we are no further forward with the identity of the painter from the previous post. I've looked again, spoken with others who are most knowledgeable in this field.....Frank Nurser is the most frequent contender, though all agree it's not his normal output. Whoever painted is was certainly experienced, there is a vitality and confidence in all of the brush strokes. Might it, I wonder, be the work of an as yet unknown painter? I had rather hoped that someone here may have seen something similar.

If any readers are intending to go to the Historic AGM next weekend, it will be there to view in the flesh ( tin? ). As before, all thoughts welcome....

Dave

I think it could well be some early work by Jess Owen, fairly soon after being taught to paint by Frank Nurser, but before he had developed his own variation on the Braunston style.

There is quite a bit of difference between some of the roses on that can, and the two white ones, near the spout and under the side handle are not unlike Jess's later work.

Edited by Tony Dunkley

I think it could well be some early work by Jess Owen, fairly soon after being taught to paint by Frank Nurser, but before he had developed his own variation on the Braunston style.

There is quite a bit of difference between some of the roses on that can, and the two white ones, near the spout and under the side handle are not unlike Jess's later work.

I was going to suggest the same IIrc there was a can that could have been that one ( or very similar )in the workshop at Charity Dock were Jess used to do his painting of Cans Hand bowls Back Cabin Doors interiors etc.in the late 60's.

I can't find a photo where the detail is quite good enough to post, but the roses on pictures of Flamingo in its working days have been claimed to be by Jess Owen.

Although no expert to me there looks to be enough similarity that I could easily be swayed by Tony's suggestion.

(The doors have since been replaced, and popular opinion was that none of what survives on the boat was painted by Jess Owen.)

I can't find a photo where the detail is quite good enough to post, but the roses on pictures of Flamingo in its working days have been claimed to be by Jess Owen.

Although no expert to me there looks to be enough similarity that I could easily be swayed by Tony's suggestion.

(The doors have since been replaced, and popular opinion was that none of what survives on the boat was painted by Jess Owen.)

Never mind about 'claimed to be', they were Jess's work, . . . . he did them on one of the last occasions when 'Flamingo' was docked at Bedworth.

Never mind about 'claimed to be', they were Jess's work, . . . . he did them on one of the last occasions when 'Flamingo' was docked at Bedworth.

Fair enough. I wonder if their remains still survive in somebody's collection?

Fair enough. I wonder if their remains still survive in somebody's collection?

If they do, then they won't be too hard to recognize.

That pair of cabin door had an unusually long, narrow centre panel, and instead of the usual three 'flowers' [Jess always called them that, and not 'roses'] there were either 5 or 6 in a line on each door, and I'm pretty sure they were yellow and white only, and no red ones.

Unlike other painters, Jess almost always had all the roses in any group facing upwards and tilted slightly to left or right. Rarely, if ever, did he paint any facing fully sideways or downwards, . . . one of the features of his adaption of the Braunston style.

Edited by Tony Dunkley

Thank you both Tony and Alan for your helpful input. Your first hand knowledge is just what I was hoping for. The roses were certainly painted with a largish brush, which ties in with a comment that Jim Marshall once made to me that Jes's used a much bigger brush than I do. Again, he direct experience from those days. I'll alert the owner to your ideas and share them with others I spoke to. I used to have an Owen watercan in my collection but sold it to the owner of the boat whose name was painted on the centre band.

Again, grateful thanks.

Dave

If they do, then they won't be too hard to recognize.

That pair of cabin door had an unusually long, narrow centre panel, and instead of the usual three 'flowers' [Jess always called them that, and not 'roses'] there were either 5 or 6 in a line on each door, and I'm pretty sure they were yellow and white only, and no red ones.

Unlike other painters, Jess almost always had all the roses in any group facing upwards and tilted slightly to left or right. Rarely, if ever, did he paint any facing fully sideways or downwards, . . . one of the features of his adaption of the Braunston style.

Not a bad memory, though there were some red ones.

Best I can do, blowing up from what I have....

Jess_Owen_Painting_002_zpsvzlpa5em.jpg

Original photo from which taken from cover of "Narrow Boats at Work" is by Robert Wilson. (

Jess_Owen_Painting_001_zpsncln7gge.jpg

From print in my possession, possibly also Robert Wilson.

What do you reckon Dave Moore? Could artist be the same as for the can?

EDITED TO ADD:

This survives elsewhere on the boat, but is clearly not to the same standards....

IMG_7069_zpsd5719f73.jpg

IMG_7071_zps870df9ef.jpg

Edited by alan_fincher

Not a bad memory, though there were some red ones.

Best I can do, blowing up from what I have....

Jess_Owen_Painting_002_zpsvzlpa5em.jpg

Original photo from which taken from cover of "Narrow Boats at Work" is by Robert Wilson. (

Jess_Owen_Painting_001_zpsncln7gge.jpg

From print in my possession, possibly also Robert Wilson.

What do you reckon Dave Moore? Could artist be the same as for the can?

EDITED TO ADD:

This survives elsewhere on the boat, but is clearly not to the same standards....

IMG_7069_zpsd5719f73.jpg

IMG_7071_zps870df9ef.jpg

The doorholes panels in the last two pictures are Denis Clarke's work.

Frank Nurser was Denis's uncle, and taught him to paint, as is evident from the style of painting in those two photo's.

Edited by Tony Dunkley