Who is the painter?

Speedwheel

Featured Posts

Do you mean Ron Hough? It doesn't look like his work to me.

attachicon.gif1729drdetailP.jpg

Bizzard's boat is definitely not Ron Hough's work. Ray's picture is his work, so are these :-

Cabindoors002.jpg

Edited by David Schweizer

Bizzard's boat is definitely not Ron Hough's work. Ray's picture is his work, so are these :-

Cabindoors002.jpg

In my umble opinion these are rather too neat, stark, lifeless and a rather boring. At least mine have a bit of life and movement although a bit wonky and scruffy. I prefer mine.

Edited by bizzard

In my umble opinion these are rather too neat, stark, lifeless and a rather boring. At least mine have a bit of life and movement although a bit wonky and scruffy. I prefer mine.

And you are entitled to your opinion. Do i detect that you did them your self?

As matter of opinion, what is your view of these :-

bcan03a.jpg

MyRoses01.jpg

bcan01a.jpg

And you are entitled to your opinion. Do i detect that you did them your self?

As matter of opinion, what is your view of these :-

bcan03a.jpg

MyRoses01.jpg

bcan01a.jpg

The can and flowers are beautifully and neatly done, (fine art) but I think too neat and transfer like. The castle scene has a little more movement because of the clouds which are well executed and quite lifelike, but very little shadow and light and shade again makes it not very artistic, in my eyes.

Or this

gallery_6938_1_158431.jpg

Well executed design but reminds me strongly of "roses" I saw in Czechoslovakia back in the 1970's. There was a lot of folk art to be seen in hotels back then and had very much in common with our "rose & castle" decoration and "brightwork".

It was much the same in some areas of Austria too where times were a "bit backward".

Edited by Laurence Hogg

Here's another. They come from the Nizhny Novgorod area of Russia, next to the Volga to the east of Russia. The tradition had almost disappeared by the 1950s, and had been revived. Nizhny Novgorod had one of the largest markets inEurope, served by boats on the Volga, as seen in the second photo.

gallery_6938_1_44635.jpg

gallery_6938_1_67432.jpg

Hi Paul

The roses you posted are, to my eyes, something of a hybrid.....knobstick style backgrounds with simpler southern petals superimposed afterwards. No idea who painted them, the style suggests a more recent painter than the older dockyard styles, especially characterised by the very neat white dots surrounding the leaves. Perhaps the painter has some previous art experience, just a feeling I get from looking at them. Do you have any more information to share?

The brushwork of the Russian samples is superb, in my eyes....speedily and confidently painted with great skill. There are many similarities between European floral folk art and English canal painting, all of which rely on the use of the brush to present a relatively simple representation of petal work, leaf veins etc, compared to the botanical realism that a trained artist would achieve...folk art is generated by painters who, in the main, are unsophisticated in artistic terms, seeking to enhance their surroundings with decoration. I refer interested members to Tony Lewery's work " Flowers Afloat ", a treasury of English canal folk art from trading days. He has explored and explains all this in much more detail and in greater eloquence than I can do at the moment.

Dave

any thoughts?

There used to be a lady pottery painter ( who worked at Wedgewoods) she had some connections to boating family's & could more;or less copy any painters style although her own style was a variation on Knobstick I had one of her door panels way back which was very similar

• 3 months later...

This can has just sold on Ebay - any ideas as to the maker of the can or the painter ?

Although it is early afternoon and as the sun is over the yard arm, actually it is hissing it down here in Perth. Back here after 3 nights in Wick. I've had some Merlot and I reckon the painter is Rolf Harris.

ninja.gif

Will I get a warning for this?

Edited by Ray T

Although it is early afternoon and as the sun is over the yard arm, actually it is hissing it down here in Perth, I've had some Merlot and I reckon the painter is Rolf Harris.

:ninja:

Will I get a warning for this?

No can't be Rolf Harris, as it isn't painted on a sheet of hardboard, with 4" paintbrushes (can you tell what it is yet?)

Although it is early afternoon and as the sun is over the yard arm, actually it is hissing it down here in Perth. Back here after 3 nights in Wick. I've had some Merlot and I reckon the painter is Rolf Harris.

Perhaps it is just as well that it is the can that interests me more than the paint, i.e. I do not recall ever seeing a can with a clip to hold the top flap closed captain.gif

Edited by pete harrison

With regards to the little clip on the lid I have seen that before but on very few cans. Judging from the metalwork and the finishing this is not a production line can like Bococks, Joseph Ash and others made.

In reality after comparing it to quite a few seen in photos I think this is a proper "Buckby can" made at Long Buckby, the spout is quite large which I believe was a trademark of that can maker.

Edited by Laurence Hogg

Perhaps it is just as well that it is the can that interests me more than the paint, i.e. I do not recall ever seeing a can with a clip to hold the top flap closed captain.gif

For a lot of years when I had no boat I still had a couple of cans that I bought in the 1970s hanging around in various lofts.

I'm fairly certain both had that additional part to cause the lids to "catch" closed, so I suspect this one might be from that kind of era.

That said, I have no memory of where I bought my examples. All I know is I eventually sold them for peanuts at a car boot sale, declaring I would never be likely to ever own a boat to use them on again. Got that wrong, didn't I?

The Water Can I bought near the Farmers Bridge flight in the late 1960's has a clip on the lid, but the can illustrated is not the same profile as mine.