Dont moor here

kienik

Featured Posts

I was out on my boat last weekend and came across a sign on a converted mill/off loading warehouse, it is on the Shroppie in Christleton Chester, it has been converted to apartments and the new tenant/owner does not like boats as it seems.

the "flat" is on the towpath side and is not next to a bridge or lock but it has a botice in the window saying "do not moor here!!", is this allowed? or is the owner completely in their rights to say this?

to reiterate it is on the towpath side and not next to a lock or bridge, is this owner trying it on?

Nik

I was out on my boat last weekend and came across a sign on a converted mill/off loading warehouse, it is on the Shroppie in Christleton Chester, it has been converted to apartments and the new tenant/owner does not like boats as it seems.

the "flat" is on the towpath side and is not next to a bridge or lock but it has a botice in the window saying "do not moor here!!", is this allowed? or is the owner completely in their rights to say this?

to reiterate it is on the towpath side and not next to a lock or bridge, is this owner trying it on?

Nik

There's a similar notice on a gate from the towpath to a cottage opposite where I moor. It says "Polite Notice, please do not moor in front of this gate, Thank you."

I think that's as much as anyone can rightfully do - ask politely.

Just down the canal from the mill at Christleton there is a row of old cottages and the there is another sign says 'don't moor here'. Well one night is was pouring with rain and we didn't see the sign and promptly moored up. The old dear from the house came out into her back garden and started yelling at us to move our boat. Rant rant rant she went. I asked her very politely to go back inside as it was raining and that we would be gone early the next morning. She did go back in. We had been advised (by someone I can't remember) to take pictures of the sign and forward them onto BW, which we did. I believe the sign has been taken down as it is not an order of the BW.

To be honest if I lived next to the canal I wouldn't care about boat mooring outside my house I would be just really happy that I was able to see likeminded people every day. Mind you I wouldn't fancy the coal/log fires every day!

I think if we treat people how we would want to be treated then that goes a long way. Sometimes!!

Just down the canal from the mill at Christleton there is a row of old cottages and the there is another sign says 'don't moor here'. Well one night is was pouring with rain and we didn't see the sign and promptly moored up. The old dear from the house came out into her back garden and started yelling at us to move our boat. Rant rant rant she went. I asked her very politely to go back inside as it was raining and that we would be gone early the next morning. She did go back in. We had been advised (by someone I can't remember) to take pictures of the sign and forward them onto BW, which we did. I believe the sign has been taken down as it is not an order of the BW.

To be honest if I lived next to the canal I wouldn't care about boat mooring outside my house I would be just really happy that I was able to see likeminded people every day. Mind you I wouldn't fancy the coal/log fires every day!

I think if we treat people how we would want to be treated then that goes a long way. Sometimes!!

the mooring spot i refer to is between the cheshire Cat and the Old Trooper pub, how can these people buy a property next to the canal and then feel it is thre right to say that boats cannot moor there, it really gripes me

Nik

'the mooring spot i refer to is between the cheshire Cat and the Old Trooper pub, how can these people buy a property next to the canal and then feel it is thre right to say that boats cannot moor there, it really gripes me '

Yes thats the place and to put the cherry on the cake we went to the trooper for a pint and dry off. The staff in the pub were all going into chester for a night out and closed up early!! ha ha talk about not welcome :lol:

the mooring spot i refer to is between the cheshire Cat and the Old Trooper pub, how can these people buy a property next to the canal and then feel it is thre right to say that boats cannot moor there, it really gripes me

Nik

Reminds me of the couple who bought the house next door to our village Youth Centre and then complained about the noise, likewise the people who bought the house next door to the Village Hall. Come to think of it one chap complained to the Parish Council about the Rabbits and Squirrels coming into his garden ( I was on planning) we just replied to him "welcome to the country", job done.

Phil

Reminds me of the couple who bought the house next door to our village Youth Centre and then complained about the noise, likewise the people who bought the house next door to the Village Hall. Come to think of it one chap complained to the Parish Council about the Rabbits and Squirrels coming into his garden ( I was on planning) we just replied to him "welcome to the country", job done.

Phil

we had one similar once, whilst i was on tour, we were getting a show out of a theatre, a lady turned up, onstage in dressing gown and slippers, surrounded by scenery flying in, lights being lowered from galleries and show floor being ripped up from under her feet, and asked if we could keep the noise down as she had to be in work at six the next morning. turns out she had bought the house opposite the load in door whilst the theatre was Dark, (no shows in), and we were the first one in!!! priceless.... needless to say we fully conformed.....once we had finished!!!

I think that in reality if you had boats mooring outside your property most evenings, running there engine/generator and as you say having coal smoke wafting in, you might just get a bit fed up.

It is always the case that the minority spoil it for the majority, i would welcome most folks outside my property if they all behaved in considerate manner towards others.

as for if people have the right to put up the notice, i think you will find they dont as it is BWB,s property! unless sanctioned by BW of course.

If it's not an official BW sign then it's no more than a request. I would be more inclined to comply the more polite it was! There are stories of people putting up signs that try to look official - if in doubt, phone BW.... or pretend to and see how people react.

By the way, the 'polite notice' is no such thing (how can you make something polite by saying it is?). What is actually is, at least by the people who first thought of doing it, is that they hope people without thinking would read 'polite' as 'police'.

Edited by Chertsey

This subject comes up from time to time in the forum and as to the legitimacy there is none unless it is an official BW notice.

It simply beats me why people buy a canal side property and then object when boaters have the audacity to moor nearby.

A completely different issue if somebody built a new canal or possibly restored one next to your property - but as to one that's already there - tough I would say.

Not for the first time, you just beat me to it, Martin. We now live next door to a farm. The farm was there before we were. When the wind's in the wrong direction then rural aromas can drift across our garden. Perhaps I should go stomping round there and demand that the farmer makes his pigs and hens wear nappies?

I cannot see why local residents should have an objection to smoke from boat stoves drifting around. Surely their house fires produce smoke too? In any case, people tend to light the fire when it's cold outside, and if it's cold outside then these local residents will be snugly indoors, not sitting out in their gardens?

we bought a house well within Bristol city limits, with a stream running through the garden and some woods at the back.

we didn't expect to have to share our garden with ducks, moorhens, a buzzard, foxes, a family of visiting badgers, woodpeckers, goldcrests and several deer from time to time.

who should we complain to?

....................................... :lol:

There was a lovely mill pond near my last house. It was a noted local beauty spot, lots of wildfowl, retaurant next to it, fishing rights owned by a local club etc. The mill was converted into a house and two or three further houses were built next to it. Families moved in and immediately demanded the lowering or draining of the pond, as they claimed there was a flood risk. Total local opposition, collapse of stout party. I confess to a moment's desire to get me shovel out and start a little trickle.

I am put off mooring next to such signs because I'm a coward and would be fearful of damage to the boat in the early hours. I do tut loudly, though, if I've got backup. :lol:

Not for the first time, you just beat me to it, Martin. We now live next door to a farm. The farm was there before we were. When the wind's in the wrong direction then rural aromas can drift across our garden. Perhaps I should go stomping round there and demand that the farmer makes his pigs and hens wear nappies?

I cannot see why local residents should have an objection to smoke from boat stoves drifting around. Surely their house fires produce smoke too? In any case, people tend to light the fire when it's cold outside, and if it's cold outside then these local residents will be snugly indoors, not sitting out in their gardens?

Boat stoves are often smokey (bituminous coal or unseasoned wood) and with chimneys at a level where smoke could easily waft in via upstairs windows. Not something I've ever had a problem with, but I can easily visualise how it could arise.

Tim

How about a sign like this:

"We paid good money for these flats and while we like a canal view we do object to the actual boats so please refrain from mooring beside our properties. We do not like you. Boat users who moor their vessels at this location do so at their own risk" :lol:

I remember once I moored on a towpath mooring which was adjacent to someone's garden. I had a bit of stuff on the roof but no engines running or noise of any sort. After about 10 minutes a woman who was in the garden wandered down and called across the little brook which ran between the towpath and her garden "excuse me, when are you going?"

:lol:

So polite.

edited format

Edited by magnetman

Reminds me of the rather unpleasant couple who moved into the village having bought a cottage next door to a pig farm. As soon as the wind changed all hell broke loose. Not that they got much sympathy as the pigs were not "incomers". It all came to a head when they objected to Tom the pig farmer having a pint in the pub with his overalls on. Ever helpful Tom kicked his boiler suit and wellies off..along with his artificial leg! The sight of him stood in his underpants with a sore looking stump put them off their lunch. They moved soon after! Perhaps they have bought a cottage near moorings. anyone got a boat full of pigs?

Reminds me of the rather unpleasant couple who moved into the village having bought a cottage next door to a pig farm. As soon as the wind changed all hell broke loose. Not that they got much sympathy as the pigs were not "incomers". It all came to a head when they objected to Tom the pig farmer having a pint in the pub with his overalls on. Ever helpful Tom kicked his boiler suit and wellies off..along with his artificial leg! The sight of him stood in his underpants with a sore looking stump put them off their lunch. They moved soon after! Perhaps they have bought a cottage near moorings. anyone got a boat full of pigs?

I just wish I had been there to see that!

we have a house on the wey & arun where the canal runs through the garden, the gentleman who lives there gets upset if you photograph his garden!!

he has already said he intends to move if we ever get to his location. (looks like he will be on the move in about 3 years then!!)

we bought a house well within Bristol city limits, with a stream running through the garden and some woods at the back.

we didn't expect to have to share our garden with ducks, moorhens, a buzzard, foxes, a family of visiting badgers, woodpeckers, goldcrests and several deer from time to time.

who should we complain to?

....................................... :lol:

I dont know but if you find out please tell me as we are having terrible trouble with foxes.