Silent Skies....

matty40s

Featured Posts

Looks like the cracks are getting wider - is it safe to get out of bed yet . . . will a slate fall on my head if I go out the door . . . ad infinitum.

Other peoples lives. Is this bus driver safe?

I pity the bloke who had to buy a bicycle to gain access to a cross channel ferry because the operator demanded they had no more room for foot passengers, but only cyclists! Actually made him ride the bike on board! Give a bloke a uniform and hi-viz jacket and Bingo . . .

Derek

If we were not already heading for a double-dip recession then we are now. This stoppage is going to hammer the economy.

Has anyone considered whether our governments are actually involved in high level negotiations to avert a massive 911 style Al Qaeda attack on Europe - and that all this volcano stuff is literally a smoke screen to prevent widespread panic.

If we were not already heading for a double-dip recession then we are now. This stoppage is going to hammer the economy.

Has anyone considered whether our governments are actually involved in high level negotiations to avert a massive 911 style Al Qaeda attack on Europe - and that all this volcano stuff is literally a smoke screen to prevent widespread panic.

Oh yes, indeed.

But best to put your tinfoil hat on. MI9¾ are reading your thoughts, and will be along soon to prevent the truth coming out.

BA, Lufthansa and KLM have all made test flights and had no problems whatsoever. BA even flew their Chief Executive onboard their test flight. Why then has the British government test aircraft been the only aircraft to claim to experience a problem with ash?

The truth is out there...

Edited by WJM

On the radio this morning they were interviewing someone from NATS and from Monarch, the guy from Monarch said the problem is the plane manufacturers own instructions are if there is any ash you don't fly, and if they ignore the manufacturers own instructions I guess your on your own if something goes wrong

Another worry is that ash-ingestion severely damages jet engines. If all the planes start flying again too early there's the possibility that a large proportion could end up with unservicable engines; not broken as in "no thrust, plane crashes" but broken as in not fit for further use.

This is a problem because big jet engines cost lots of money, ten of millions each, and the world capacity for building new ones isn't that large. Having the planes sit on the ground even for a week or two is a problem, but not as big a problem as having them sit on the ground for months or years whilst GE, P&W and RR build new engines for them all.

MP.

BA, Lufthansa and KLM have all made test flights and had no problems whatsoever. BA even flew their Chief Executive onboard their test flight. Why then has the British government test aircraft been the only aircraft to claim to experience a problem with ash?

Yeeees, of course it is.

Nurse, yes the large syringe.

Yes, watch the Greek bailout collapse too - GB next

Government? I wouldn't trust them with a teaspoon. Yet they have our money. The unimaginable is possible.

Derek

Because strangely the ash is patchy and fortunately they didn't fly through any? Plus the fact they are normal passenger aircraft, not the scientifically equipped aircraft used to measure air quality and ash density that the government used?

Richard

But then, perhaps it's a plot by SMERSH

Because strangely the ash is patchy and fortunately they didn't fly through any? Plus the fact they are normal passenger aircraft, not the scientifically equipped aircraft used to measure air quality and ash density that the government used?

Richard

my thoughts too, say the odds of the ash causing a crash are 1 in 10,000, then 1 plane is likely to get through, but over a period of a few days in northern europe the odds are that one would crash.

Possibly because it was in the interests of the airlines to avoid the ash cloud and then report no problems? (Well, you want conspiracy thories!) It was actually a Met Office aircraft that experienced problems - but I suppose you could view that as a Govt aircraft if you so wish.

Edited by blackrose

Judging by the news reports of what people are paying to hire cars, get on busses and trains etc. to try and get back to the UK from Europe, now might be a good time to buy a dutch barge or a nice sea-going boat from the Med to bring back to the UK. You could charge people enough for passage on the boat home to pay to pay for the boat.

I was impressed to hear that the BBC's Head Of Macho, Dan Snow, had taken a flotilla of motor boats over to Calais to rescue the beleaguered Brits in a Dunkirk-style operation. Then I was disappointed to hear that, after taking home one batch of 20 people, he wasn't allowed to go back for more. Does anyone know why he wasn't?

I was impressed to hear that the BBC's Head Of Macho, Dan Snow, had taken a flotilla of motor boats over to Calais to rescue the beleaguered Brits in a Dunkirk-style operation. Then I was disappointed to hear that, after taking home one batch of 20 people, he wasn't allowed to go back for more. Does anyone know why he wasn't?

According to the Beeb....

Weekend plans by TV historian Dan Snow to mount a flotilla of small rescue craft were halted by the authorities.

The agency said: "In the light of the desire by operators of small craft to cross the Channel in order to pick up stranded tourists, small boat operators are being advised that such vessels must be properly certificated in order to make such a journey.

"Anyone operating such vessels should also be aware that such certification is only valid for UK waters.

"The operator will also need to seek clearance for their vessel to operate in French waters from the French maritime authorities."

PS. I have it on very good authority that the RAF are not flying except where the government tell them it is of utmost importance. Basically they are grounded.

Somewhat similar to 9/11 then. Not grounded, but 'stood down' when needed.

I do hope there is no 'rat' to smell. Different scenario, but some will be anxious.

Derek

Weekend plans by TV historian Dan Snow to mount a flotilla of small rescue craft were halted by the authorities.

The agency said: "In the light of the desire by operators of small craft to cross the Channel in order to pick up stranded tourists, small boat operators are being advised that such vessels must be properly certificated in order to make such a journey.

"Anyone operating such vessels should also be aware that such certification is only valid for UK waters.

"The operator will also need to seek clearance for their vessel to operate in French waters from the French maritime authorities."

Which is a load of bollocks if you have under twelve people on board and don't accept money, Dan Snow was clear on both.

The French said it was unfair competition for the ferries, who were being denied the opportunity to fleece people. Okay they didn't say the second bit

Imagine Dunkirk, WW2, "sorry, you can only go with a full BSC , MCA certification and a boatmaster's certificate". If we had to fight that war now, we'd lose!

I'm not normally so blunt but this smacks of protectionism and jobsworthiness

Hubbie rang a couple of hours ago saying he was about to board. Now his phone is switched off, so lots of Dutch people are going to hear the sound of flights again.

I'm still cartwheeling round the room - only one and a half hours to go til get on the plane and I wake up the Italians!

Then the Dutch

Then the Norwegians

Finally the British.

Forgive me, but I'm soooooo excited about being able to fly again.

If I promise never to run my engine, generator or son's choice of music after 8pm, will you all forgive me??!?!?

Phew, glad that's over. With only 19 days and seven hours (but who is counting) to go until we fly out, we were starting to get a bit nervous. Hopefully that Icelandic blimp keeps it's mouth shut for at least the next three weeks, after that it can go off when ever it wants. You never know we may even get a longer holiday.

The Memsahib is due to fly out of the UK on Friday. Me and the dog are planning a quiet period of general freedom.

Question....

Act of God....

How long does an "act of God" last for and are there any exclusions for devout atheists? :lol: The airline industry is aware of the ongoing issue, and still taking flight bookings. It's the same with the insurance industry who are still agreeing cover without directly excluding volcano ash. In other other words who decides if an act of God may be used to excuse the central risk assumed by the insurer/flight organiser. When the event is already well known throughout the world.