Silent Skies....

matty40s

Featured Posts

We are due to fly to the Costa Del Sol a week today. What a pity it would be if, a few days later, the volcano were to misbehave again, resulting in a new shutdown of airports.

or - if Katla goes boom! (which is due to go anytime soon)

My 18 year old walked up the volcano last year on a field trip and it was smoking then. Apparently the last time it erupted was 1829 and it did so for 2 years (no planes then though). It could spread to Katla and that would be a big one. So currently Iceland is getting bigger as it did in the 1980's. Believe it or not she is so upset shes not there now...........strange child :lol:

The one amusing thing she did say was - natural disasters seem to follow her

Iceland - volcano erupts

Stratford - flooded

Cockermouth - flooded

Masham - flooded

At home last year - earthquake (the Louth one)

Shes going to Tunisa (all being well) in August - if you are planning a trip over there later I would cancel it now :lol:

oh theres a uni field trip to Tenerife next May - I would'nt bother booking a holiday there for next summer either..............

Edited by tillergirl

My 18 year old walked up the volcano last year on a field trip and it was smoking then. Apparently the last time it erupted was 1829 and it did so for 2 years (no planes then though). It could spread to Katla and that would be a big one. So currently Iceland is getting bigger as it did in the 1980's. Believe it or not she is so upset shes not there now...........strange child :lol:

The one amusing thing she did say was - natural disasters seem to follow her

Iceland - volcano erupts

Stratford - flooded

Cockermouth - flooded

Masham - flooded

At home last year - earthquake (the Louth one)

Shes going to Tunisa (all being well) in August - if you are planning a trip over there later I would cancel it now :lol:

oh theres a uni field trip to Tenerife next May - I would'nt bother booking a holiday there for next summer either..............

Is her name 'Joana'

as in Jonah? :lol:

Not a lot of fun for me, was in Saudi Arabia, due to fly home Friday night! There must be a worse place to be 'stranded' but I couldn't think of one. It occured to me then that this would be a problem for some days to come, so with quicker thought than the government, I arranged a flight to Madrid via Athens on Sunday, then drove a hire car to Cherbourg and got the Tuesday night ferry to Portsmouth. So, some £2000 poorer, I am at least home, I suspect I would still be waiting had I not took this course of action. I was meeting 'self rescuing' Brits with similar stories all over the place. Certainly makes you aware of how we take air travel for granted!

Is her name 'Joana'

as in Jonah? :lol:

No Natascha - shes convinced shes jinxed but then so must all those who were with her as well. :lol:

I feel sorry for anyone who has been stranded - i particularly feel for parents whose kids are away on school trips and still not home.

For my part I've never been on a plane in my life and I reckon it'll stay that way.

Edited by tillergirl

This is what greeted me this morning at Manchester Airport at 9.30am.

Thankfully, and with incredible good fortune, the OH was on the first green one to land.

My sympathies are with those who are stranded with little prospect of arriving back for at least another week.

arrivals.jpg

The Canaries - Lanzarote especially, are long overdue a volcanic eruption, it's only a matter of time before the next one happens.

And Yellowstone. Came back on Mon afternoon from Dunkirk, and M25 clockwise in pm rush hour was extraordinarily quiet. Could it be that all the normal clogging traffic is Gatwick and Heathrow travellers.

Maybe they are flting in exact corridors but we still thought there were no planes yesterdays and today is the same with clear skies, no contrails and no jet noise. Occasionally with think maybe the is one but it normall turns out to be a training helicopter. (They were grounded but are back too.)

The (I assume) American jet fighters resumed their sorties over the Fens yesterday. Coincidentally, as the first one went over, a 1944 US Ford "Jail gate" lorry was being lifted on to a low loader in our road. So we lucky locals had 66 years of US military power in one view.