Got me a Gardner

Featured Posts

Would appreciate comments on the following

1. Age of the engine

The engine number is 10070 I believe the engine is from a locomotive engine from the mines in South Africa, I think its a early 1950's build, anyone able to verify?

2. Smokey engine

Only a couple of hours on the clock since rebuild. Its a bit smokey for my untrained eye, engine was 20 mins run when I took the video, mostly tickover

Charles

• Greenie 1

Would appreciate comments on the following

1. Age of the engine

The engine number is 10070 I believe the engine is from a locomotive engine from the mines in South Africa, I think its a early 1950's build, anyone able to verify?

2. Smokey engine

Only a couple of hours on the clock since rebuild. Its a bit smokey for my untrained eye, engine was 20 mins run when I took the video, mostly tickover

Charles

Once it does some work it will more than likely clear. If not - put it back in the box and return - don;t forget your reciept!

Hi,

Nice engine (forget the rest you've got the best).

Gardner enthusiast.com will date the engine for free, or the Anson Engine museum will do it but charge a small fee.

My 2LW is no.112695 which suggests your early 1950's may be correct.

They are a bit smokey until warmed up.

Leo

Your engine number may not have enough digits - check it carefully.

Edited by LEO

I have a 4LW No. 106703 and that's December 1955 also 4L2 No. 45778 and that's 26th July 1939.

Yes they do smoke when cold, ours clears after about 15-20mins but as soon as you start doing locks it's back.

Andrew

Mine is 105962, built 1955, installed in a South African narrow gauge railway loco 1956, repatriated and rebuilt by Walsh's. You won't solve the smoke problem until you give it a boat to push around - when they're under load the exhaust runs clear after about a quarter of an hour.

Ask that nice Mr. Mel Davis to build you a tug around it.

Edited by Athy

Nice job. Well done.

Gardners are known for white smoke on start up and till they get warm. It is unburned fuel.

My 3LW does it.

When warmed up and working the exhaust is clear.

The larger LW's were also used in mine locomotives in the UK.

When I worked underground I didn't take too much notice of the locomotives but I'd say a major factor in choosing Gardners was probably their clean exhaust. Also they could be air started without needing any electrical preheating which is crucial where gas might be present.

When I worked underground I didn't take too much notice of the locomotives but I'd say a major factor in choosing Gardners was probably their clean exhaust. Also they could be air started without needing any electrical preheating which is crucial where gas might be present.

We've had a 6LX and a 5LW in motor barges we traded with on the Thames. The 5s are a group of 3 pots and a group of 2. With De Hoop which had the 6LX we were moored one night off Deptford creek and the battery somehow had gone flat. A beefy ex-tugman friend of ours rowed out with us and started it with the hand-start!

We've got a 6LW in Friesland that we got when Trinity House sold off lots of stuff in the Thatcher era. It had been a standby generator engine with virtually no running hours - it has a date stamp 9/12/74 and is engine number 31-E210138. We marinised it with a twin disk box of virtually the same date that we got from Norris at Isleworth, and was unused in its original packing - the gods were obviously on our side for a change.

We did have someone tell us once that Gardners are the Rolls Royce of engines! We had to put him right, as Rolls are the Gardners of engines.

Edited by Tam & Di

Very nice too, I trust nobody in the house has a problem with it living in the front room?

Many years ago I was poddling along the Trent & Mersey with my Lister HA2 on tick-over, as I went under a bridge a man on top leaned over and said "Gardner?" .... "No I replied, Personnel Manager" :lol:

Very nice too, I trust nobody in the house has a problem with it living in the front room?

Many years ago I was poddling along the Trent & Mersey with my Lister HA2 on tick-over, as I went under a bridge a man on top leaned over and said "Gardner?" .... "No I replied, Personnel Manager" :lol:

Don't be rotten. He was only trying to make you feel better............

I believe they built a batch of 4L2 engines for the NCB, for mines locos, quite a while after the L2 was officially defunct. IIRC the Lark has the flywheel from one such engine (on a 2L2)

Tim

I had a 4LW under my (house) stairs, which are in the front room, for several months :lol:

Tim

Just completed rebuild, no gearbox, pulley or alternator, will store for 6 to 12 months awaiting next stage in project

enjoy!!

Lovely. Very reminiscent of the Danny Williamson 4LK that I had in Albion. Slightly smokey on start up, clears on running under load and can return if you are required to wait for/in locks. Lovely engines and a real talking point. Enjoy.

Roger

Edited to add that after reading Fretman's comment I would add a nice Norton Canes round it..............Go on, you know it makes sense! :lol:

Edited by Albion

For those vintage engine enthusiasts here are some more photos

05082009072.jpg

09092009187.jpg

14092009189.jpg

14092009192.jpg

17082009109.jpg

More to follow

I would appreciate opinions on suitable pulley and alternator arrangements and photos of what your alternator set up looks like (by PM if you like) to help me decide on mounting, whether single of double alternator/pulley etc

Thanks

Charles