Got me a Gardner

Featured Posts

Sorry missed that.. no I'm not going to sell it just yet, at least until I decide which of my engines I want to keep for installation in a boat of our own. We are leaning towards a Kromhout 2 or 3LS at the moment ,as they are terrific engines, but also have other Gardners ,Dormans , Rustons and a gaggle of FR and JP Listers to choose from. Decisions , decisions!...its a bit like how we chose aeroplane seats years ago..smoking or non smoking! :lol:

• 2 months later...

I finally got around to unpacking and attempting to start my 2LW bought cheaply from overseas at the weekend. Bronze pump and water rails and not at all corroded. So far so good!. Hooked up fuel and batteries to it, fiddled with the stuck rack and cold start and bingo away it went. Good oil pressure, not smoky, no clattery bits! Result!. I'll put some video up when I get a chance. A strip and rebuild over the winter I think. It'll be good to start from a good base engine rather than a poorly bad sick one! Usual thing though..it cost more to get it past HMRC than to ship from halfway round the world. Cie la vie.

Here's a nice Gardner...

wellandrally032.jpg

Casp'

Hi,

Agree, it's coupled with a nice 1L2, and started with compressed air, compressor driven by a Ruston.

Nice blokes who run the display.

Leo.

Saw it at the Welland vintage rally this weekend.

Hi,

I saw it at the Gardner Rally a few years ago, with a lot of other nice Gardners - made a DVD, if you want to borrow this of this PM your address and I will post it off. (Essential viewing for all Gardner devotees).

Leo.

A slightproblem with your picture is that it is impossible to judge the size of this H13 engine, I wish my Photobucket was not playing up, I got a good pic. of one of the valves - huge.

Edited by LEO

A slightproblem with your picture is that it is impossible to judge the size of this H13 engine,

Here's a pic from another angle.

wellandrally034.jpg

I'm not especially a Gardner fan, they're good engines but too popular on boats especially with the shiney brigade.

I liked this massice Ruston though

wellandrally045.jpg

Casp'

Here's a nice Gardner...

My boat was fitted with a 3J5 when built, it would be an interesting project to return it to original spec. Practically everything else is unchanged from new.

Anyone know of a 3J5 in somewhere near useable condition, looking for a home? :lol:

Tim

Embarasingly i'm still topping up the oil on my 2LW via the dip stick hole (not that its needed much) I'm due to give it an oil change and I was going to remove the rocker cover to fill her up.

Just in case i'm being a bit daft, could somebody point out on one of the pictures on here, where exactly the oil filler normally sits.

Cheers

Paul

My boat was fitted with a 3J5 when built, it would be an interesting project to return it to original spec. Practically everything else is unchanged from new.

Anyone know of a 3J5 in somewhere near useable condition, looking for a home? :lol:

Tim

There is that chap who has one on a truck.

Isn't there one at EP too? I have a set of bolt croppers and a balaclava. Can you get hold of a truck with hiab?

http://www.dafmobile.ournet.org.uk/index.p.../photo/120.html

Edited by Speedwheel

There is that chap who has one on a truck.

Isn't there one at EP too? I have a set of bolt croppers and a balaclava. Can you get hold of a truck with hiab?

http://www.dafmobile.ournet.org.uk/index.p.../photo/120.html

Both of those still belong to Pochins, who own the wagon as well, they came out of a company or family owned twin screw motor yacht and were replaced with newer Gardners which didn't need an engineer in attendance.

Your link doesn't work for me.

Tim

Edited by Timleech

Embarasingly i'm still topping up the oil on my 2LW via the dip stick hole (not that its needed much) I'm due to give it an oil change and I was going to remove the rocker cover to fill her up.

Just in case i'm being a bit daft, could somebody point out on one of the pictures on here, where exactly the oil filler normally sits.

Cheers

Paul

In the middle of this pic, just to the right of the injector pump, the silvery cylindrical thing with louvres is a breather/filter which is fixed on to the oil filler (which unscrews):-

05082009072.jpg

Tim

Edit for spelling and to say there's nothing wrong with filling via the rocker cover. Some LW engines had fillers in the rocker cover itself, and some L2 engines (close relatives) required the rocker cover removed to fill.

Tim

Edited by Timleech

In the middle of this pic, just to the right of the injector pump, the silvery cylindrical thing with louvres is a breather/filter which is fixed on to the oil filler (which unscrews):-

05082009072.jpg

Tim

Ah thanks, mine has a blanking plate there and that filter is located on the front engine cover (as on the op pictures), so it's the whole filter assembly. that gets removed for filling.

Cheers

Paul

Ah thanks, mine has a blanking plate there and that filter is located on the front engine cover (as on the op pictures), so it's the whole filter assembly. that gets removed for filling.

Cheers

Paul

Sorry, yes, the timing cover is the more usual place, that's the usual L2 position in the picture but the LW usually has timing advance/retard lever there. Same idea though, unscrew the breather filter base. That looks like a home made breather mounting in the pic.

Tim

Edited by Timleech

Tim, while you're there, I have wondered about the function of the coffee-pot shaped fitting on the extreme right of the engine. I thought of undoing the knob on the top to see what happened but discretion decided me not to. What is it please?

Mike

Tim, while you're there, I have wondered about the function of the coffee-pot shaped fitting on the extreme right of the engine. I thought of undoing the knob on the top to see what happened but discretion decided me not to. What is it please?

Mike

If it's the part I think you're describing, it's the lubricating oil filter. Brass cap nut holding a hefty circular cast iron lid. with a brass plug out at an angle just below the lid?

Replaceable paper element inside with an integral spring on the top, so when you unscrew the top brass nut the lid will probably be pushed up by the spring unless it's stuck down by the joint.

Tim